Slow AI-Just me?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

gamer3213000

Slow AI-Just me?

Post by gamer3213000 »

Hello all, just downloaded this and played a game. It seems a little different from the original. Graphics don't seem quite like I remember them. When my units use op fire it doesn't seem to show it, just list a unit and counts down? The BIG thing I noticed is it seems to take the AI a very, painfully long time to do its turn, like 30 mins? I know the original wasn't like that. I have a fairly new lap top with alienware, so I know my system isn't slow. So.....is this normal or is there something in the settings I can change or something? Thanks! Travis
Riitaoja2

RE: Slow AI-Just me?

Post by Riitaoja2 »

When my units use op fire it doesn't seem to show it, just list a unit and counts down?

That is the op fire confirm feature in SPWAW. You need to pres "Y" or left mouse button to confirm or "N" to cancel.
If you want the original and faster Steel Panthers behaviour you can turn off op fire confirm from the preferences by giving it a "0" second value.
The BIG thing I noticed is it seems to take the AI a very, painfully long time to do its turn, like 30 mins?
30 mins seems too long. It might take a couple of minutes if it is a huge battle for the AI to process it's turn.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: gamer3213000

Hello all, just downloaded this and played a game. It seems a little different from the original. Graphics don't seem quite like I remember them.
Steel Panthers: World at War is heavily modified version of Steel Panthers III. In addition Windows Vista & 7 mess up colours, but it can be fixed.
When my units use op fire it doesn't seem to show it, just list a unit and counts down?
If you want to make use of OpFire against AI, you need to hit space bar when countdown is active. Otherwise OpFire don't happen. It is meant to avoid for an anti-tank gun exposing itself against first foot soldier or truck that comes by, but can still be fired against tanks. Against human players, OpFire is always automated. In other words: you can expose another player's ATGs and machine guns by driving a Jeep or Kübelwagen within their range and line-of-sight.
The BIG thing I noticed is it seems to take the AI a very, painfully long time to do its turn, like 30 mins? I know the original wasn't like that. I have a fairly new lap top with alienware, so I know my system isn't slow. So.....is this normal or is there something in the settings I can change or something?
One reason is the OpFire and its countdown. You can change range OpFire is engaged. Reduce it for some units: units don't hit at the max range against moving target, and many ATGs can't penetrate armoured target either. Other is time it takes to move a unit. There is a setting, and changing its value you can change time it takes for a unit to move from one hex to another. Other than that, I don't know...
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
gamer3213000

Post by gamer3213000 »

Thanks guys for the helpful info, I guess I didn't think of any of that because I think I remember in the original OP fire was automatic??? Anyway I will play with it.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”