Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So how about grandfather's service in World War ONE?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> So how about grandfather's service in World War ONE? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So how about grandfather's service in World War ONE? - 4/17/2018 2:12:08 AM   
spence

My grandfather served in a USA Tank unit in the First World War (that would make me old). Since many older Army records got burnt has anyone recommendations as to how about looking for records of his service back then?
Post #: 1
RE: So how about grandfather's service in World War ONE? - 4/17/2018 6:19:36 AM   
JeffroK

Look for a Unit history of the few USA Tank units from WW1

or

https://www.archives.gov/research/guide-fed-records/groups/120.html#120.9.4

May I ask the surname?

< Message edited by JeffroK -- 4/17/2018 6:28:43 AM >

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 2
RE: So how about grandfather's service in World War ONE? - 4/17/2018 12:31:03 PM   
Admiral DadMan

eVetRecs Military Personnel Records

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 3
RE: So how about grandfather's service in World War ONE? - 4/17/2018 4:14:54 PM   
Canoerebel

I believe Ancestry.com has a searchable set of the draft registration cards from 1917-18, probably behind a pay wall. The information is pre-military service but often includes interesting personal and family details.

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 4
RE: So how about grandfather's service in World War ONE? - 4/17/2018 4:37:12 PM   
zuluhour

too old for WWI on moms side, a marine in the PI on dads side. The civil war saw the Chases, Slenkers, and Emmons engaged in three
different Pa Rgts. They fought at fair Oaks, Antietam, Gettysburg, and Petersburg. We also so action at the Concord bridge in the
revolution as Massachusetts militia. In WWII on my uncle Carl (USMC) and my dad (USN) fought across the Pacific.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5
RE: So how about grandfather's service in World War ONE? - 4/18/2018 4:07:42 AM   
GI Jive

I've done a fair bit of research on WW1 service members from my hometown & have used various sources in addition to Ancestry. Fold3 is a subscription site that may show his name in various WW1 records, such as Army Transportation Service records (lists of names of soldiers who were brought overseas & back). Many states also kept records of service members during WW1. These might be available through the state archives or library. Local communities sometimes had records or published histories after the war. The local library & Historical Society can help. Old newspapers may be on file on microfilm at the state and local library, although these don't always have searchable guides - you might have to look through each edition. Newspapers.com is a digital resource for many newspapers that is searchable. Many WW1 units published histories after the war, as JeffroK reported. Some include unit rosters.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 6
RE: So how about grandfather's service in World War ONE? - 4/25/2018 7:20:48 AM   
Anachro

My great grandfather served in WW1 in the US army and if I remember that was part of how he secured his US citizenship. I'd need to go do a detailed search to find out more.

(in reply to GI Jive)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> So how about grandfather's service in World War ONE? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI