Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Allied Transport Losses

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Allied Transport Losses Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Allied Transport Losses - 4/9/2018 9:00:07 PM   
BK6583

Apologies in advance as I'm whining again. Playing Allies D-Day campaign and it's turn 13. In spite of ensuring adequate naval patrols to all of my ports I've lost 585 cargo ships! Now my understanding of history is at this point in the war the German U-boats had been pretty much neutralized. I also checked to see if German air units were causing this but they're not. So what in blazes is sinking my cargo ships?????
Post #: 1
RE: Allied Transport Losses - 4/9/2018 9:37:33 PM   
cfulbright

Have you left your TF's at-sea since the invasion? You need to return them to a friendly port for one turn to strip off the transport and cargo ships that are attached.

I do agree with you that losing that many ships is unhistorical.

Cary

(in reply to BK6583)
Post #: 2
RE: Allied Transport Losses - 4/10/2018 6:48:40 AM   
EddyBear81

It's counter intuitive, but it has been indicated that these numbers DO NOT reflect sunk ships (or at least not only)

1) This is a cargo tonnage equivalent (if I remember well, 250 tons per "ship", which is small for an actual cargo)

2) This represents unavailable tonnage for a number of reasons : sunk ships because of U-Boot, yes, but also ships sunk because of bad weather (or other maritime related hazards), and SHIPS UNDER MAINTENANCE ! And every once in a while, every ship has to go to port for a couple of months to scrap the hull, repair the machinery, let the sailors go to their family / tavern... which will count as a "loss" in WitW.

=> Bottom line : you are bound to "lose" a whole lotta "ships", but this is not critical.

EDIT : the increase in losses is directly linked to the level of usage of the ships. So in the turns just after D-Day, there is a huge level of maritime activity, which will result in higher losses (but not necessarily higher loss % compared to usage, though this could be checked)

< Message edited by EddyBear81 -- 4/10/2018 6:54:23 AM >

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Allied Transport Losses Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI