Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

interdiction NEWBIE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> interdiction NEWBIE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
interdiction NEWBIE - 4/9/2018 3:11:58 PM   
tonyscrase

I never use my aircraft to interdict hexes. I prefer to attack enemy units and cause a few casualties I am sure this is a very simplistic use of bombers.

I am about to play play breakout and pursuit
a) should I be interdicting hexes
b) if so what proportion of my air arm should i use
c) does it matter what altitude is flown at

THANK YOU AND TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE KINDLY HELPED ME WITH PREVIOUS PROBLEMS
Post #: 1
RE: interdiction NEWBIE - 4/9/2018 3:51:58 PM   
cfulbright

According to the game designers, you should only use "unit" attack if you don't plan to also attack that unit in the ground phase. If you do plan to attack it, use "interdict". Interdict also will damage the unit when it retreats through an interdicted hex.

For altitude, distinguish between level bombers and fighter bombers. LB's bomb from the altitude at which you set the mission, so you're trading off a lower altitude with more accuracy and damage for higher flak losses. Use Shift-O twice to see how much low and high altitude flak is in the hex you're targetting.

FB's dive bomb, so you can set altitude to 19K' and they will still release at low altitude.

Cary

(in reply to tonyscrase)
Post #: 2
RE: interdiction NEWBIE - 4/9/2018 3:58:33 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: tonyscrase

I never use my aircraft to interdict hexes. I prefer to attack enemy units and cause a few casualties I am sure this is a very simplistic use of bombers.

I am about to play play breakout and pursuit
a) should I be interdicting hexes
b) if so what proportion of my air arm should i use
c) does it matter what altitude is flown at

THANK YOU AND TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE KINDLY HELPED ME WITH PREVIOUS PROBLEMS

a) Yes
b) the majority
c) take the default 15,000'

Why:

Interdiction is the single most effective mission you have. As you not flying directly at the enemy (as you do on a unit attack), you are marginally less open to flak. It hits all movement - and there is a surprising amount of movement. So all those trucks running around with supplies get hammered (even if no unit actually moves), replacements arriving get hammered etc.

If the unit moves it suffers from the interdiction - movement can be to attack, a reserve reaction or a retreat as well as normal movement. So if you plaster a unit with interdiction you partly isolate it from supply/replacement and if it retreats you maximise losses. Stick interdiction on top of suspected reserves and they can have a really bad week if they react to support a combat and a bit later if you can reach them and make them retreat.

In the Breakout scenario (and France 1944 more generally), all your FBs should be doing interdiction, especially if you can arm them with rockets. Use your 2 engined bombers for direct attacks on units (if you also want to do this - they are surprisingly useful in that role). Keep some back for Ground support but its interdiction that will break the back of the Wehrmacht.

Take the default 15,000' setting. They fly into low level to execute the mission. You don't have anything like a Soviet Sturmovik (where flying at 1,000' is surprisingly effective) so don't risk going in too low. The gain with the 1,000' trick is you duck under almost all flak and most fighter opposition (which is not a concern in France) but trade off more operational losses. It works due to the armour of the Il-2 and its weapon systems.

AARs:
WiTW: Once Upon a Time (somewhere)in the West; Fischia il vento; (oh) For a few Panzers More; XXX Corps Diary; Infamy, Infamy!
Others at AGEOD
PoN: A clear bright sun

(in reply to tonyscrase)
Post #: 3
RE: interdiction NEWBIE - 4/16/2018 1:02:28 PM   
Bobbybat

So in a situation like the Breakout and Pursuit scenario where the Axis have some serious unit stacks, is it best to 'prep' for a turn before launching a big attack on one of those stacks - e.g. do some interdiction in and around the hex, as well as some unit attacking?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4
RE: interdiction NEWBIE - 4/16/2018 1:10:42 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bobbybat

So in a situation like the Breakout and Pursuit scenario where the Axis have some serious unit stacks, is it best to 'prep' for a turn before launching a big attack on one of those stacks - e.g. do some interdiction in and around the hex, as well as some unit attacking?

Since you have the airpower, I'd opt for a 2 mission solution. Use FBs and plaster those hexes and the surrounds (ie a 1 hex wide mission) with interdiction. That will hurt any attempt to gain supply and cripple them if they move.

If you want the hex (ie its on the front line and you need to go via that hex), then mix this with a 'unit' mission. What this will do is inflict a lot of disruption/damaged elements. The advantage is these elements then cannot take part in any ground combat, so the stack is actually weaker than it appears - you'll see this in the combat results as a massive drop off in effective combat values.

For 'unit' missions, I often find 2 engined bombers are quite good.

If you lacked the massive airpower of the Western Allies, and could spare the time, I'd simply use interdiction to weaken them before attacking in a couple of turns.

AARs:
WiTW: Once Upon a Time (somewhere)in the West; Fischia il vento; (oh) For a few Panzers More; XXX Corps Diary; Infamy, Infamy!
Others at AGEOD
PoN: A clear bright sun

(in reply to Bobbybat)
Post #: 5
RE: interdiction NEWBIE - 4/16/2018 10:40:48 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bobbybat

Since you have the airpower, I'd opt for a 2 mission solution. Use FBs and plaster those hexes and the surrounds (ie a 1 hex wide mission) with interdiction. That will hurt any attempt to gain supply and cripple them if they move.

If you want the hex (ie its on the front line and you need to go via that hex), then mix this with a 'unit' mission. What this will do is inflict a lot of disruption/damaged elements. The advantage is these elements then cannot take part in any ground combat, so the stack is actually weaker than it appears - you'll see this in the combat results as a massive drop off in effective combat values.

For 'unit' missions, I often find 2 engined bombers are quite good.

If you lacked the massive airpower of the Western Allies, and could spare the time, I'd simply use interdiction to weaken them before attacking in a couple of turns.

For unit bombing of highly stacked hexes, you may also want to use heavy bombers (dropping high explosives). The Allies used 8th AF and Bomber Command to bomb the defensive line prior to an an attack on several occasions besides Cobra (in July 1944). In most instances, more than 500 heavies would drop their bombs from less than 10,000 ft.

I also use the heavies as prep bombardment of invasion beaches. When carpet bombing units with heavies, I usually bomb on day 1 and sometimes day 2 of the turn of the ground attack. Heavy bombers are similarly useful for hitting surrounded units in a fortified port, although I often bomb the units for 2+ turns before sending in the ground attack (supported by 1 or more naval gunfire support TFs).

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> interdiction NEWBIE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI