Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO

After Action Reports
sapper32

Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO

Post by sapper32 »

So im playing as the ARVN/Free world forces against the PO, My initial plan is to call in a few US brigades to try to contain the VC as they are already active in a few areas and the ARVN forces available are struggling to hunt down and destroy the VC.
The ARVN Infantry Divisions that are available have spread out to try and protect the victory hex's while the ARVN Rangers and Para's take to the jungle to trp and destroy the VC.
Ive called up the US 12th Aviation Grp,US 5th Mech Bde and the 173rd Airborne to secure the Saigon area and help deal with the VC, A couple of turns later i called up the 2nd Air Division to support all operations and interdict VC activity the down side of this call up is the NVA 308th Division has crossed the DMZ and attacked Quang Tri thankfuly
i had positioned the ARVN 1st Division to protect the city which held back the NVA and ARVN counter attacks have heavily damaged the NVA

Attachments
NVA1.jpg
NVA1.jpg (748.44 KiB) Viewed 431 times
The battle of Medjerda is almost forgotten,but was fought against highly disciplined German troops and blasted a route straight to Tunis it was a perfect infiltration battle and should be remembered as the best fought British battle of the war.
sapper32

RE: Campain For South Vietnam Vs PO

Post by sapper32 »

Saigon has been reinforced with the US 5th Mech and the 173rd Airborne who are helping ARVN forces with search and destroy missions in Kien Tuong and Kien Phuong provinces the operations so far have trapped and destroyed two VC battalions.
The US 5th Mech may need to be shipped to Quang Tri province to deal with the NVA while 12th Aviation and 173rd remain near Saigon

Attachments
Saigon1.jpg
Saigon1.jpg (917.05 KiB) Viewed 431 times
The battle of Medjerda is almost forgotten,but was fought against highly disciplined German troops and blasted a route straight to Tunis it was a perfect infiltration battle and should be remembered as the best fought British battle of the war.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Subscribed. You won't run across it but I was in the
19th TASS squadron who flew A-37's and OV-10's in a
FAC role. I'm really interested in your game. Thanks
for doing an AAR for it.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
700851McCall

Post by 700851McCall »

This scenario is next in my list to tackle after D21. I've played it once before about 10 years ago on the old version. It's masterpiece of design IMO and really gives the correct 'feel' for the conflict.
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Sapper32

Thanks so much for doing an AAR with this scenario. It has the grand operational feel I like but being outside my WW2 comfort zone I will be eagerly watching how you tackle it. I love the two very different sides having to use very different tactics.

Best of luck

Ian
"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

Thanks for reading guys more to come later, I need to decide about relocating 5th Mech North to I Corps area to deal with the NVA or call up another US unit but I don't want the conflict to escalate to rapidly
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Sapper32,

I agree with Devoncop. Good luck and we will be following your AAR.
Mike

Retired Gunner
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

ORIGINAL: sapper32

Thanks for reading guys more to come later, I need to decide about relocating 5th Mech North to I Corps area to deal with the NVA or call up another US unit but I don't want the conflict to escalate to rapidly

Hi

Am I right in thinking that choosing to take more US troops early increases the chances of more NVA regular troops being available to Uncle Ho or is it just a negative VP modifier?

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

ORIGINAL: devoncop

ORIGINAL: sapper32

Hi

Am I right in thinking that choosing to take more US troops early increases the chances of more NVA regular troops being available to Uncle Ho or is it just a negative VP modifier?

Yes i think your correct the more troops you call up the more NLF/NVA troops enter the conflict and the earlier you will have to withdraw them which is why im going to try to have a gradual call up of US ground forces so that i can maintain US troops towards the later parts of the scenario
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

US Turn 5 Monsoon

I Corps area the NVA 308th Division continues to cross the DMZ despite the loss of one of there mech regiments to a succesfull counter attack by ARVN 1st Division who now digs in and awaits the US 5th Mech who i have decided to move north.

Attachments
north2.jpg
north2.jpg (558.95 KiB) Viewed 431 times
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

US Turn 5

III Corps Area The US 5th Mech has been withdrawn to the port in Gia Dinh province to be shipped north.In Tay Ninh province US forces from 173rd AB and ARVN rangers have trapped the VC 271st Regt however the VC remain in place inflicting 13% losses for 23%

Attachments
TayNinh.jpg
TayNinh.jpg (975.73 KiB) Viewed 431 times
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

US Turn 5

IV Corps Area Phong Dinh province is a hotbed of VC activity as a political section and the VC 63rd Regiment approch Chan Tho, The ARVN Paras of 1st Bde asisted by ARVN Rangers trap and destroy both VC units for little loss apart from USAF warplanes that suffered 15% losses i guess i should restrict them to interdiction missions during Monsoon

Attachments
PhuBing.jpg
PhuBing.jpg (958.91 KiB) Viewed 431 times
John B.

Post by John B. »

I'm signing on to follow this one! Thanks for doing it!
John Barr
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

Interesting the VC units, even though nominally weak and sometimes surrounded still pack a reasonable punch...are they getting bonuses at all in the monsoon or particular terrain?
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

Not sure if they get a bonus I will have to check the scenario notes,I know that supply drops and airpower are reduced ive grounded my airforce apart from some AS missions and Interdiction they are at about a quarter of there establishment at the moment.
ORIGINAL: devoncop

Interesting the VC units, even though nominally weak and sometimes surrounded still pack a reasonable punch...are they getting bonuses at all in the monsoon or particular terrain?
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

US Turn 6 I Corps AO

The US 5th Mech Bde has arrived at Quang Tri and taken up defensive positions while the ARVN 1st Division Arty shell the NVA

Attachments
QuangTrivert.jpg
QuangTrivert.jpg (280 KiB) Viewed 431 times
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

US Turn 6 III Corps AO

VC units continue there activity while ARVN forces search the countryside,In Kien Tuong province the ARVN Paras and Rangers destroy a VC company and in Tay Ninh province the VC 271st Regt is finished off after heavy shelling

Attachments
271stregt.jpg
271stregt.jpg (469.26 KiB) Viewed 432 times
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

US Turn 6

Ive not called up anymore US Units I will try and keep a lid on things with the forces I have at my disposal but I don't think this will be easy as ive only got 2 US Brigades plus the 12th Aviation Group and the 2nd Air Division which is vastly under strength most squadrons have only 4 of 16 allotted aircraft, The main ARVN units available to me are 1 Brigade of Paras and 1 Brigade of Marines plus about a dozen Ranger battalions.

Attachments
news.jpg
news.jpg (149.38 KiB) Viewed 431 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I've not called up anymore US Units; I will try and keep a lid on things with the forces I have at my disposal but I don't think this will be easy as I've only got 2 US Brigades plus the 12th Aviation Group and the 2nd Air Division which is vastly under strength most squadrons have only 4 of 16 allotted aircraft, The main ARVN units available to me are 1 Brigade of Paras and 1 Brigade of Marines plus about a dozen Ranger battalions.
I've found the ARVN Rangers are really useful if you've got the helicopter assets to move them. They
can defend themselves and they can be flown to the most useful spot and fight from there. They can
surround and dispatch VC and NVA as well with a little support for the latter. The Rangers combined
with some competent CS can pack a punch almost anywhere on the map within a turn or two.

Have you started bombing the AA units on the Ho Chi Minh Trail yet? Are you going to?

Have you considered bombing Hanoi?
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
I've not called up anymore US Units; I will try and keep a lid on things with the forces I have at my disposal but I don't think this will be easy as I've only got 2 US Brigades plus the 12th Aviation Group and the 2nd Air Division which is vastly under strength most squadrons have only 4 of 16 allotted aircraft, The main ARVN units available to me are 1 Brigade of Paras and 1 Brigade of Marines plus about a dozen Ranger battalions.
I've found the ARVN Rangers are really useful if you've got the helicopter assets to move them. They
can defend themselves and they can be flown to the most useful spot and fight from there. They can
surround and dispatch VC and NVA as well with a little support for the latter. The Rangers combined
with some competent CS can pack a punch almost anywhere on the map within a turn or two.

Have you started bombing the AA units on the Ho Chi Minh Trail yet? Are you going to?

Have you considered bombing Hanoi?
Not considered Strategic bombing yet but will start hitting targets on the trail and elsewhere once my aircraft numbers ate up and the monsoon stops it's not worth the losses for poor results at the moment, I'm thinking of calling up an airmobile division but I guess once I do that more VC/NVA will show up, I believe I get some more ARVN Paras and Marines soon so let's see how it goes

Return to “After Action Reports”