Sale on Brother vs Brother

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

lordhoff

Sale on Brother vs Brother

Post by lordhoff »

Gaahh! Just my luck to order the game then to find out the next day that it was put on sale at 50% off a few hours after I ordered it. Excuse me as I pluck mt beard.
These biting remarks brought to you by Terry and his troops: Legio K IX, King Sarge II Commanding
Kuokkanen

RE: Sale on Brother vs Brother

Post by Kuokkanen »

Heh. Reminds me about one event here in Finland. Farmer had received an order of fertilizers. Then was significant reduction of price. Because farmer hadn't paid the bill yet, he made a call:
Come get back this expensive fertilizer, I won't pay it. I'll have the cheap fertilizer when it comes available.
He was answered with:
You have received first delivery of cheap fertilizer.
[:D]
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Rebel Yell

Post by Rebel Yell »

Definitely a shame to pay full price for a game that's all but abandoned.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

games not abandoned tbh,

just working on something else atm, and once finished, you never know[;)]

is all i can say on the subject[:'(]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
lordhoff

Post by lordhoff »

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

Heh. Reminds me about one event here in Finland. Farmer had received an order of fertilizers. Then was significant reduction of price. Because farmer hadn't paid the bill yet, he made a call:
Come get back this expensive fertilizer, I won't pay it. I'll have the cheap fertilizer when it comes available.
He was answered with:
You have received first delivery of cheap fertilizer.
[:D]
I doubt greatly Slitherine would be so accommodating. [:)]

Zakblood: I was worried when I saw how few people were on it's forum as that usually means poor sales which means no follow on games. I haven't really started yet, just opened a small scenario last evening after finishing the manual but there hasn't really been a good Civil War game IMO since the battleground series from Talonsoft or perhaps the Tiller games (but, oh, that AI!). Certainly better then the plethora of real time tactics games that are a string of small scenarios sans a campaign or the awful AGEOD games.
These biting remarks brought to you by Terry and his troops: Legio K IX, King Sarge II Commanding
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I love ya, Zak. But BvsB has worst dev and promotional support of any $50 Matrix game in recent memory. I know, I gotta get over it.

But at 50% off, I would recommend anyone go for it. Will I buy another game from same devs? Not a chance in heck.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

it's a fair point tbh and a judgement call each member has to make themselves, i see it from a different angle, then again i know a bit more of what's going on in the background, so can understand and to a point agree with many comments, but in the end, i'm a tester more of than a real player, so for me, what ever they do is better than the 90% of steam rubbish which i don't play or get a chance to test either, so on reflection, i'd prefer to play something from them, no matter what than not have anything at all, other than FPS and the rest which everyone else does, which also sell in higher numbers for the most etc.

i'm a wargamer at heart, and while i'll test anything and download anything for free, i tend to not put my own money on things i don't enjoy and know 99% sure that one day i'll play, atm i don't have time to play much, but when i do, this is one of the best civil war games bar none and while the civil war wasn't really known to me before the game as something i'd play or be interested in, after it was done, i sure got a passion for the time and period so do play others now as well, but in the end keep coming back to this as it plays well and better imo than the others and i enjoy it, and do hopefully one day may get the chance to play some more battles in it.

it didn't get the modders attention, or the sale needed, but i can't take anything from any developer who makes game i like, no matter how they spend they free time, on or off the board, most now days think if a developer doesn't live and breath on the forum, they not good, which tbh isn't fair either, as while most don't even make a living out of games, and need a home life and a full time job to pay the bills, most don't seem to understand that without these sort of developers, we would have less games imo.

so no matter what, i'll support them, in either the forums, or in the background testing what ever there trying to do.

but this isn't a dig at anyone personal opinions either and not your's for sure m8 Rosseau

as if i didn't know some background stuff, i'd be thinking the same, but i don't voice negative comments as such, as for one now i'm older and over the years have said stuff which in hind sight came back to bite me once i knew or was told a reason why or what was happening, so now it's think it, don't print it for me.

and support anyone on any of the 3 forums / boards who give up there free time to make a game out of love and passion, where if they / anyone wanted to make real money, wouldn't maybe make war games that's for sure, as i'd guess most don't cover the costs where as a rubbish FPS or others types sells no matter what as there's always someone who will buy anything regarding those[:(]

chris_merchant

Post by chris_merchant »

Yeah have to say that the dev history of this and previous games done by this guy are disappointing. Don't start me on the ports of Conflict of Heroes board games.
bazjak

Post by bazjak »

zakblood
I know that you will no doubt tell me off but you know my thoughts on this game
You say along with a few others that its the best civil war game around.But thats as maybe but as iv said before it is lacking a decent tutorial
Put that tutorial or a walkthrough of some sort and this game may i repeat may take off
And too be honest the responses from the devs leaves a lot to be desired
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Zakblood,...Zakblood,...Zakblood...the philosopher [&o] [&o] [&o] [:D]

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: bazjak

zakblood
You say along with a few others that its the best civil war game around.But thats as maybe but as iv said before it is lacking a decent tutorial
Put that tutorial or a walkthrough of some sort and this game may i repeat may take off

i wouldn't dare tell you off m8

and if i had the right kind of ability i'd write one myself, i just couldn't do it justice tbh[:(]
bazjak

Post by bazjak »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

ORIGINAL: bazjak

zakblood

i wouldn't dare tell you off m8

and if i had the right kind of ability i'd write one myself, i just couldn't do it justice tbh[:(]

Okey Doky
But you know where im coming from
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

yep[;)]
rico21

Post by rico21 »

I did not understand everything, which of the brothers will be on sale?
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

the first one, as the second brother married his own sister second cousin and got shot by his fathers brother, mothers aunt next door neighbor [;)]
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

and support anyone on any of the 3 forums / boards who give up there free time to make a game out of love and passion, where if they / anyone wanted to make real money, wouldn't maybe make war games that's for sure, as i'd guess most don't cover the costs where as a rubbish FPS or others types sells no matter what as there's always someone who will buy anything regarding those[:(]
FPS genre may oversell war game genre, but bottom of the FPS barrel may not be much different from war game one.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
lordhoff

Post by lordhoff »

I've been playing war games since the early 70s. The first PC ones were not so good even for then - they tended to be board games that were put into a PC format. I've branched into other things as well - got frustrated after trying some AGEOD games (they have great titles but are near impossible to learn - talk about no tutorial! [:(] ). I managed to actually play one (set in the American Revolutionary War area) but wasn't impressed. I liked some of the early Slitherine games (prior to the merger) but they generally used area movement which I see as a weakness plus, the Total War series was similar but had better battles. Bought and enjoyed several of the MATRIX branded games and enjoyed most even if there were some made me wonder (like War Plan Orange - realistic enough but more like watching a movie so got boring after a bit). The Talon Soft series I mentioned before was bought out by MATRIX - not sure if they still offer it - very old - developed in the 90s. I started out with the American Civil War (or, the War for Southern Independence as I like to call it) - Milton Bradley believe it or not (Battle Cry, Broadside, and one from the Pacific Theater of WW-II). I've always liked the era for gaming but once Sid Maer got his hands on it, it went to real time tactical which I don't enjoy. I think graphics and imagination are what drives the big sellers these days - young folk really eat that up - but war games aren't really greatly enhanced by either. For strategy war games, diplomacy is a large part but I have yet to see an AI handle it better then middling. Perhaps if they adopted a system based on the old Advanced Third Reich it would work better (that's the board game, not the PC version of the basic game). Anyway - Slitherine/MATRIX is a bright spot in the genre.
Zap

Post by Zap »

My interest will be peaked for a purchase in this series with the production of Gettysburg.
tevans

Post by tevans »

Just my opinion but the one thing holding me back from buying this game is the battle selection. They may be interesting battles but typically not the battles you think of when you want to play a Civil War game. Wilson's Creek? I'd much rather play Shiloh. Bull Run? Antietam or Chancellorsville may have been a better choice. Williamsburg? The whole Seven Days battles would have been nice but Seven Pines might have been a better choice if just choosing one battle. Then there's the big battles. Gettysburg, Chattanooga, Chickamauga, Atlanta, Vicksburg, the Wilderness, Petersburg and Spotsylvania to just name a few. I think the choice of battles for this game really hurt sales. Another thing that hurt is no type of map editor. Imagine the modding possibilities with a fully fledged map editor. Even with modding and gamers making their own maps and battles the developers could still sell battle packs. Field of Glory did. I think some developers really shoot themselves in the foot by trying to guarantee a future income by limiting modding and map creation. Tiller does the same thing with his games. It's a shame. Take a look at a game like Steel Panthers. the game is at least 20+ years old and still going strong. Why? Because it was always possible for gamers to create their own maps and battles.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

the idea was to do a series tbh, with sales not being as good as they may have hoped, now it will just maybe take longer, but hopefully they will come, one day[:(]

Return to “General Discussion”