Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Kamikazes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Kamikazes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kamikazes - 4/3/2018 10:32:22 PM   
Big B

Just wondering - for you players who are familiar with playing in late 1944 or 1945 ....
I am now in October 1944 in my PBEM, and the manual says Kamikazes will be activated should allied ground troops be within 15 land hexes of Tokyo, Takao, or Saigon.

The question I have is - for you relatively small number of you players who have actually dealt with Kamikazes in game ...how effective have you found them?
I am sure there are MANY external factors that affect the effectiveness of them...numbers, experience, strength of air defenses...etc., But I am just curious as to players experience with them?

B

Post #: 1
RE: Kamikazes - 4/3/2018 10:45:09 PM   
Rio Bravo

Big B-

Some information on Kamikazes is set forth in Lowpe's thread below your thread in this War Room.

Best Regards,

-Terry

"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 2
RE: Kamikazes - 4/3/2018 10:50:35 PM   
rustysi

quote:

the manual says Kamikazes will be activated should allied ground troops be within 15 land hexes of Tokyo, Takao, or Saigon.

This was changed at some point in a patch. Not 100% sure, but I believe its now 20 hexes by sea. IIRC info can be found in the patch notes.

Edit:As to your question I've no experience with Kamis.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 4/3/2018 11:12:24 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 3
RE: Kamikazes - 4/4/2018 10:23:42 AM   
Wargmr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

Just wondering - for you players who are familiar with playing in late 1944 or 1945 ....
I am now in October 1944 in my PBEM, and the manual says Kamikazes will be activated should allied ground troops be within 15 land hexes of Tokyo, Takao, or Saigon.

The question I have is - for you relatively small number of you players who have actually dealt with Kamikazes in game ...how effective have you found them?
I am sure there are MANY external factors that affect the effectiveness of them...numbers, experience, strength of air defenses...etc., But I am just curious as to players experience with them?

B

Hit and miss just like any other weapons system. They are very vulnerable to flak so good flak will help a lot. Battleships usually shrug attacks off with systems damage but smaller ships can be seriously damaged by hits.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 4
RE: Kamikazes - 4/5/2018 3:08:57 PM   
John 3rd

Pends if you are going up against 2,000+ Allied Fighters all occupying one hex...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Wargmr)
Post #: 5
RE: Kamikazes - 4/25/2018 12:12:10 AM   
el lobo

Kamikaze game mechanics questions.

Once they are activated, the units that have the option to convert seem to show-up in a random order. Is there some way to find these units with-out having to search through each unit? IOW, is there a button I have over-looked that stays "show potential kamikaze units?"

Is there a way that the player can influence which units will become available?

El Lobo (J) vs Rio Bravo (A)
Rio Bravo's AAR - "The War College"
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3851786

Gamey is not a game style. It is someone's definition.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6
RE: Kamikazes - 4/25/2018 4:43:39 AM   
PaxMondo

Been a while since I played through this aspect. What I remember, and hopefully Alfred will chime in here with details, is:
- once kami activation keys are met, each turn there is a chance for a group to be enabled.
- there is a max number of groups that can be kami at any given time.
- the max number increases, I'm not remembering what the control of that is though ... it might just be time ... as the game progresses more groups can be kami ...

you want to be careful in converting to kami. You can't afford many fighter units, and you can't allow all of your bomber units to convert either ... choose carefully as it is permanent.

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 4/25/2018 4:45:09 AM >

Pax

(in reply to el lobo)
Post #: 7
RE: Kamikazes - 4/25/2018 7:21:35 AM   
Alfred

There is no global button which shows units eligible for conversion to kamikaze status.  Eligible individual units display on their unit screen a button for conversion to kamikaze status.  This individual unit button is only displayed if no unit has yet been converted that day.

Kamikazes are only available to Japan and then only from 1 January 1944 if a relevant Allied base is 20 (or less) sea hexes distant from Tokyo or Takao or Saigon.  Once the conversion option becomes available, the criteria for individual unit conversion are:

• unit is not a fragment
  • unit is not equipped with a transport type aircraft
  • the internal code counter for stored unused unit kamikaze conversion is currently between 1 and 7
  • unit experience is less than 50
  • unit morale is greater than 70

Only 1 unit conversion to kamikaze status per day is permitted.  Once converted to kamikaze status the unit can not be changed back to non-kamikaze status.

Alfred

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 8
RE: Kamikazes - 4/25/2018 9:42:56 AM   
el lobo

Thanks. A Comment and a question.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

This individual unit button is only displayed if no unit has yet been converted that day.

Only 1 unit conversion to kamikaze status per day is permitted. 

Alfred

Respectfully, I have tested the above and your comments are not correct. Only one unit will become available per day, but once available, you can convert more than one per day.

quote:

• the internal code counter for stored unused unit kamikaze conversion is currently between 1 and 7

Alfred

This is a bit confusing to me. What triggers the internal code counter? Is it visible or knowing to us in anyway? The reason I ask is that if this code counter is triggered each turn, what happens when you get above seven.

I am only on Jan 7 '44 and have converted four units. I do not plan on converting many more but certainly want the option to remain available.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 9
RE: Kamikazes - 4/25/2018 10:12:10 AM   
Alfred

That is it.  Enough is enough.  Try improving your comprehension skills and finding dev comments by yourself.  I quit from ever again answering any AE questions.  You can all do the work yourselves.

Alfred

(in reply to el lobo)
Post #: 10
RE: Kamikazes - 4/25/2018 12:48:50 PM   
Barb

Actually you may take a note that units with name -Tai were usually the ones doing the Kamikaze attacks. IIRC they arrive in the game a bit late, with about size 10, and sometimes even filled with planes.

IJAAF Examples: Hakko-tai Yasukuni-tai, Jungi-tai, Shinbu-tai
IJNAF Examples: Yamato-tai, Shikishima-tai, Giretsu-tai

[img]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzOZPXg_qJ22TG43UmJ5UjRsb3c[/img]

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 11
RE: Kamikazes - 4/25/2018 1:11:21 PM   
el lobo

quote:

That is it.  Enough is enough.  Try improving your comprehension skills .....

Alfred

This (above), I don't comprehend.

The following, same day, same turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 12
RE: Kamikazes - 4/25/2018 6:23:05 PM   
Lowpe

Zero fighters are poor choices for kamikazes, although I saw one knock out a big gun turret on a battleship once.

But if you have plenty of them...

I am not sure how bomb payload and kamikaze strike damage relate. I am not sure on a lot of things with respect to kamikazes, and I have used a lot of them.

Fast is better. Armor is better. Single engine is less expensive. On a naval strike they all die. CVE and cargo ships are the best targets. 2-3 Nicks can sink a Fletcher if they can hit it. The larger the sentai, the more likely some kamikazes will get thru.

(in reply to el lobo)
Post #: 13
RE: Kamikazes - 4/26/2018 11:06:46 AM   
Barb

Damage dealt by kamikaze strike is based on the "payload" (Thus J1N1-C is poor kami, because its load is 0, so no damage dealt).
Usual Fighter (capable of carrying 2x250kg bombs) payload is about 1100. Some planes have it at about 1800. Largest planes (I think those capable to carry 800kg bomb) are around 2200 payload. Some older models of planes carried only 2x60kg bombs and thus have much lower payload.
So before unleashing kamis, check the plane they should be flying :)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 14
RE: Kamikazes - 4/26/2018 11:32:07 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

(Thus J1N1-C is poor kami, because its load is 0, so no damage dealt).

Actually, there are recent game reports of the recon planes being excellent kamikazes.

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 15
RE: Kamikazes - 4/26/2018 1:51:00 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

Actually, there are recent game reports of the recon planes being excellent kamikazes.

I thought Alfred mentioned speed and number of engines as contributing factors in damage calculations. I will try and find his post.

No luck on the forum search ... but I am sure it was discussed in the last couple of months.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 4/26/2018 2:06:53 PM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 16
RE: Kamikazes - 4/26/2018 2:57:09 PM   
Barb

quote:

quote:

Recon planes can be good Kamikaze - but it depends on their payload! So check that first before sending a Sentai of planes that will just bounce off a tin foil!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 17
RE: Kamikazes - 4/26/2018 3:26:31 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

quote:

Recon planes can be good Kamikaze - but it depends on their payload! So check that first before sending a Sentai of planes that will just bounce off a tin foil!

Actually, If I recall correctly they were using Dinah III which is 0 payload. I will have to hunt for it.

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 18
RE: Kamikazes - 5/2/2018 1:01:10 AM   
el lobo

quote:

ORIGINAL: el lobo

Only one unit will become available per day,

I was wrong. Erroneous assumption based on limited data.

At this point I am at January 10, '44 and I have converted four air units to kamikaze and have fourteen units that have the ability to convert. So obviously we get more that one air unit per turn that can convert to kamikaze.

(in reply to el lobo)
Post #: 19
RE: Kamikazes - 5/2/2018 1:11:12 AM   
el lobo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

B

Big B.

I also want to pursue these questions more. The other kamikaze thread as it seems to be more tactical and this thread has turned more mechanical so I am taking these issues there.

quote:

Zero fighters are poor choices for kamikazes, although I saw one knock out a big gun turret on a battleship once.

But if you have plenty of them...

I am not sure how bomb payload and kamikaze strike damage relate. I am not sure on a lot of things with respect to kamikazes, and I have used a lot of them.

Fast is better. Armor is better. Single engine is less expensive. On a naval strike they all die. CVE and cargo ships are the best targets. 2-3 Nicks can sink a Fletcher if they can hit it. The larger the sentai, the more likely some kamikazes will get thru.

Lowpe.

Same for this.

(in reply to el lobo)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Kamikazes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI