Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenarios and ini files

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> Scenarios and ini files Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenarios and ini files - 3/22/2018 8:39:11 PM   
DWReese

Hi gang,

I purchase every set of scenarios that CMANO puts out, even though I rarely ever get around to actually playing them. From what I can tell (remember), in the beginning, most scenarios rarely had any ini files associated with them. I simply loaded the scenario and started playing the game. As time passed, I realize that scenarios needed to be updated, so I "figured" that that was the reason that ini files were created. It was just a means of updating the scenario.

I purchased Sands and Silent Service when they came out and just started messing around with them. Even though I purchased them on Day 1, I noticed that they already had ini files for almost every scenario ready to be loaded. Is this the new norm? If so, then I suppose that I should ALWAYS check to see if the scenario has an ini file available before starting the scenario.

Are ini files the exception or the rule now? If they are the rule, I have never seen any new scenarios come out with a message that instructs the game player to "make sure that you check to see if an ini file is available before playing." Perhaps it's there and I simply overlook it because I have been playing the game for so long.

It's no big deal, but I just wanted to hear some feedback from others about when, and how often, everyone checks for ini file availability.

Thanks for your time.

Doug
Post #: 1
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/22/2018 9:22:48 PM   
thewood1

As the manual states, the ini files are there because the author changed/removed/added something on a unit like weapon, sensor, records, etc. The ini file is there so that if the scenario is updated, the ini file can be imported to bring the changes back into the scenario.

The original scenarios didn't do much fiddling around with units. But if you check the community scenarios, I think they all have ini files. I think its good sense to make an ini file, even if don't think it needs it. Its a little future proofing.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/22/2018 10:19:52 PM   
DWReese

Kevin,

Thanks for your response.

As you mentioned, the ini is there for CHANGES, etc. What is throwing me off is the scenario is being released (FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME) with ini files already in existence. I don't ever recall that happening before.

I do know what the ini file does. I'm just asking if the inclusion of an ini file for a BRAND NEW scenario is now the new norm. If so, then that is a departure from the past.

I, too, think that the inclusion of ini files is a great idea. before this, however, I just never thought to immediately check for any of them right out of the gate.

Thanks again for your informative response.

Doug

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/22/2018 10:34:40 PM   
thewood1

Its changes to the units, not the scenario. I don't think know what it does. Its you change any standard unit. They are called delta template files. Page 84 in the manual...

"Delta Template: exports the delta (difference) between platform
configurations in the scenario and those in the database. The Delta
Template functionality is most commonly used to export aviation
magazine changes or additions. But the generated file will also list
platforms that have new and deleted weapons, weapon quantity
changes, added/removed mounts and magazines, added and
removed sensors, and added and removed communication gear
and weapon datalinks. The Delta Template functionality will not
export damage or changes in fuel levels."

From page 130...

"When making changes, the important thing to remember is that any
“full” scenario rebuild will delete your edits. To retain them you’ll need
to add changes to a scenario configuration file. You can do this by
generating a so-called “delta file” which shows the changes from the
“stock” configurations, and then applying them to the configuration
file. Specific instructions on how this works can be found in sections
7.1.6- 7.1.9. Keep in mind that our DB editors always reserve the right
to change record numbers so it is best to keep up with changes."

btw, scenarios were being released with ini files almost from day 1 of release. Like I already said, the community files almost all have them.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 4
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/22/2018 10:57:33 PM   
DWReese

Thanks

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/22/2018 11:44:32 PM   
rmunie0613

Yes the ini file is to hold onto changes made in a unit, not necessarily in a scenario per se.
I am in various stages of completion of 4 scenarios...all 4 will have ini files on release because all have had unit alterations with the addition of HVP weapons to a class of warship that in reality does not have that. The ini file addition to the scenario simply makes sure that each time someone plays it, when they load the scenario, their 127mm mounts will be loaded with the HVP rounds.

< Message edited by rmunie0613 -- 3/22/2018 11:45:11 PM >

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 6
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/23/2018 8:44:43 PM   
$trummer

What does the player of an older scenario do in order to "activate" the .ini file to bring the mission up to date? Please excuse my very basic question.

(in reply to rmunie0613)
Post #: 7
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/23/2018 10:01:46 PM   
thewood1

I don't mind answering the question, but its right in the manual. I think there is a whole section on it. You rebuild it in the editor. An ini file lets you do a deep rebuild that completely updates all units to the newest db without changing anything in the ini file

(in reply to $trummer)
Post #: 8
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/23/2018 10:54:57 PM   
$trummer

Thanks for the response and apologies if I should have seen this in the manual but I am probably not the only person here who pays less attention to the scenario editor portion of the manual than the gameplay portion because my interest is only in playing the game rather than designing scenarios, for the moment anyway.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 9
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/23/2018 11:38:25 PM   
thewood1

The post just above yours explained what ini files are and the rebuild function was mentioned there. Just using a simple search in the manual would have probably gotten the answer. And my point is, there are tons of resources available to learn the game. And don't worry, you're obviously not the only person to not read the manual. If you are not reading anything past simple gameplay in the manual, your missing out on a lot of explanations on how things work. And you don't have to read the manual word-for-word. The search function in most PDF viewers works really well. Even the quirky search function in the forum can be a wealth of info.

Don't take this post too personally, but there has been an increase in people not looking in the manual, not looking at stickied threads on how to ask for help, not looking in the game itself, not doing the tutorials, or just plain not using the resources available to them to learn the game.

This is not a simple game. Its very complicated and takes a little effort to learn. The are a few people that just don't seem to want to do any of it themselves and just keep bringing issues up that only reflect on how little effort they have put into learning the game. They declare bugs or how something is not right when its that they never bothered to read a manual or do a tutorial. It wastes the devs time tracking down issues like that and frustrates other people on the forum. My personal philosophy is to help people that will at least make a minimal effort to help themselves.

(in reply to $trummer)
Post #: 10
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 1:21:11 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

The post just above yours explained what ini files are and the rebuild function was mentioned there. Just using a simple search in the manual would have probably gotten the answer. And my point is, there are tons of resources available to learn the game. And don't worry, you're obviously not the only person to not read the manual. If you are not reading anything past simple gameplay in the manual, your missing out on a lot of explanations on how things work. And you don't have to read the manual word-for-word. The search function in most PDF viewers works really well. Even the quirky search function in the forum can be a wealth of info.

Don't take this post too personally, but there has been an increase in people not looking in the manual, not looking at stickied threads on how to ask for help, not looking in the game itself, not doing the tutorials, or just plain not using the resources available to them to learn the game.

This is not a simple game. Its very complicated and takes a little effort to learn. The are a few people that just don't seem to want to do any of it themselves and just keep bringing issues up that only reflect on how little effort they have put into learning the game. They declare bugs or how something is not right when its that they never bothered to read a manual or do a tutorial. It wastes the devs time tracking down issues like that and frustrates other people on the forum. My personal philosophy is to help people that will at least make a minimal effort to help themselves.

He already say he miss in manual so probably know. No need for three paragraph criticize. Criticizing for jaywalk no good for community even if it make you feel smart.

Thanks

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 11
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 2:45:32 PM   
thewood1

So you stalking me again? You know, when I typed that, I was thinking to myself that is like bait for that crazy guy.

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 12
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 2:53:16 PM   
stilesw

Holy jumping trolls! In other words Batman:

Yours truly, Robin

Attachment (1)

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 13
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 3:28:59 PM   
BDukes

quote:

So you stalking me again? You know, when I typed that, I was thinking to myself that is like bait for that crazy guy.

No not stalking. I told you when you are rude to user I will correct. Be nice or see me lots.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 14
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 3:30:39 PM   
thewood1

Looks like stalking. You're being very rude. At least your posts are little more coherent. Smaller words help.

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 15
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 3:32:05 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: stilesw

Holy jumping trolls! In other words Batman:

Yours truly, Robin

Wow is meme new thing in bully toadie handbook?

As I said to your boss. I will continue until he leave peoples alone. You and he jump on them too hard over stupid things.

Thank.

(in reply to stilesw)
Post #: 16
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 3:33:33 PM   
BDukes

quote:

Looks like stalking. You're being very rude. At least your posts are little more coherent. Smaller words help.

You are 5 second in my day. But worth if good user left alone.

Thank

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 17
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 3:40:49 PM   
thewood1

Looks more than 5 seconds.

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 18
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 3:51:38 PM   
BDukes

quote:

Looks more than 5 seconds.

I see you have received message so like Bush-- "mission accomplish!". Good time spent. Have nice week wood.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 19
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 3:55:57 PM   
thewood1

OK, glad your leaving happy.

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 20
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 4:14:35 PM   
BDukes

quote:

OK, glad your leaving happy.

your= you are?

Thank

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 21
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 4:18:29 PM   
thewood1

Really, you of all people are going to point that out. Come on do you really want me to start tearing apart you posts. They are very close to incomprehensible at times. This is becoming the definition of trolling and stalking. All we need you to do is resurrect your threats.

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 22
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 4:20:15 PM   
thewood1

"This look like problem that is hard to have but good find. I see."

Let's see how many issues we can find with this one...

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 23
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 4:23:09 PM   
kaburke61

Sigh......

Please BDukes....let it go. Your constant trolling is simply tiring. You come off looking like a petulant 12 year old.

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 24
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 4:29:07 PM   
BDukes

quote:

"This look like problem that is hard to have but good find. I see."

Let's see how many issues we can find with this one...

Ok. I post your list too. We'll see who wins bad guy contest.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 25
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 4:29:32 PM   
BDukes

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaburke61

Sigh......

Please BDukes....let it go. Your constant trolling is simply tiring. You come off looking like a petulant 12 year old.

Then hope you don't ask on date

If he stop hammer new user about english, spelling, manual reads, jaywalking, chew gum in class and other stupid thing I stop.

< Message edited by BDukes -- 3/24/2018 4:59:17 PM >

(in reply to kaburke61)
Post #: 26
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 6:01:28 PM   
$trummer

Well I was slightly taken aback by thewood1's fierce response, especially as it wasn't as if I had started a whole new thread in order to ask a stupid question. And I am definitely neither lazy in terms of RTFM nor ignorant of CMANO's complexity. I am currently up to my neck in tutorials, forum posts and videos just trying to reacquaint myself with the game's mechanics after a long time away (I was in the Beta) but the search function here is next to useless so I figured "why not just ask?" Having said this, I know what an asset thewood1 has always been to this community so I am happy to take my punishment.

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 27
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 6:16:11 PM   
thewood1

Again, I am not singling you out for any beat down. Its just that lately there have been some people coming in getting the forumites spun up with "bugs" and issues that a little common sense and basic look at available resources would have settled. There are days worth of discussions, requests for saves, devs having to step in. Just because someone couldn't be arsed to do a simple search or post a save.

What really gets me is the same people over several months with the same M.O. Play the game a bit, not know why something happened, and then come in with a complaint disguised as a question. Those people take advantage of the people willing to help. The devs have little time as it is, between two separate product paths, without the steady trickle of people with questions they could answer themselves with a little ambition. I would much rather the devs focus on dev stuff and minimize having to hand hold people that probably are playing the wrong game.

(in reply to $trummer)
Post #: 28
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 6:22:03 PM   
$trummer

So do you think I’m “probably playing the wrong game”?

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 29
RE: Scenarios and ini files - 3/24/2018 6:23:34 PM   
thewood1

Let's take this one. A simple sentence...

"You are 5 second in my day. But worth if good user left alone."

You are five seconds in ("of" would read better) my day. But worth it if a good ("good" is also a little out of context, but we'll let it go) user is left alone.

So that's five and let's say a half right there. Five mistakes in a 14 word sentence. That is an error rate of 36%.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> Scenarios and ini files Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI