First impression anyone?

Brian Kellys Desert War: 1940-42 captures the drama of the campaign for North Africa during World War II.
wodin

First impression anyone?

Post by wodin »

Anyone give us their first impression? I have a feeling I'm not really getting the game and mechanics as its not grabbed me as I thought WEGO would do, I'm finding lack of info watching turn play is an issue for me plus not sure why but it doesn't feel WEGO as such, seems during a turn units move in one after the other not simultianously. Prob like to see the units moving across the map like Command Ops let's say, maybe the length of each replay is the reason..

Also finding the graphics lacking atmosphere, very colourful and then icons like the attack he seem low quality..

Again love to hear others as I think my gripes are mine alone, more a taste thing.

Finally abit of a bugbear of mine but do wish casualties shown per man etc even if chrome.

Maybe with everything right next to each other the intro scenario isn't the best to judge the turn replay WEGO side of the game. Maybe a smaller scale hex would have helped..would also have helped reducing the large unit stacks as well.

SlickWilhelm

RE: First impression anyone?

Post by SlickWilhelm »

Wodin, try the "Rats vs. the Ram" scenario. The map is bigger and everything isn't squished together like they are in the Bardia tutorial.
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

Hello some first impressions... I woke up at 5.30 AM to make sure I had a moment to go over SlickWilhem's tutorial before going to work and dropping the kid at kinder.

Just to get what I haven't loved out of the way first...

While the graphics/icons can definitely be improved, I think the user interface is very well thought. Somebody has spent THOUSANDS of hours on the old V4V/WAW games and worked out how to optimise its usage. I appreciate its consistency and transparency.

Regarding the visual style I find it a bit jarring. Some modifiers look like directly borrowed from an old SSG game. The unit bar looks like pulled from Tiller's Panzer Campaigns. Those white on black buttons will be great for the visually impaired, but they do tire my (quite healthy, touching wood) eyes. The VCR turn replay buttons look like programmer's art. I do really want a way to see all plotted moves at once, and the movement arrows to be as broad as the ones used to display combats.

Biggest issue at the moment is how to configure properly the JAVA executable to deal with DPI font scaling in a way that I can play this on a Surface without squinting... I am pretty sure it will be totes okay on the desktop though.

Now the awesome... Oh, boy, there's plenty of that.

1/ WEGO: As Wodin says, a difference with Command Ops and Combat Mission is that unit actions and game events do not get presented in a continuous manner (e.g. the engine calculates where each unit needs to be on the next "frame", then displays results all at once). This engine actually shows you the order in which things are resolved... which looks less "realistic" but it is also more transparent.
2/ Dynamic ZOC values: ZOCs aren't binary, but actually are modelling both how hard is to move in the sight of the enemy and how hard is to disengage from it. Well done.
3/ Supply system: quite abstracted but perfectly reasonable and well integrated with combat, movement and ZOCs.
4/ The Editor is a WOW. Adjustable time scale (I would like to have turns shorter than 6 hours, but probably that would break a bit the combat engine), adjustable map scale, ability to load an image underlay to trace maps... and the AI editor. To draw an analogy, and I know very well what I am talking about, the stuff you can potentially do with what Brian and the rest of the team are exposing is on par to what you can do with Command Ops, if it was exposing to players how plans are constructed.
5/ Ground assets are a great idea which doesn't feel gimmicky at all and it is very flexible to account for leadership, electronic warfare, superior command and control and doctrines.

This is an outstanding game! I don't need a campaign... I will send postcards to the doubters from France and Russia!

Note: when reviewing combat results you need to right click so the detailed combat panel is shown. That tripped me over for a while, and somehow I missed it in SlickWilhem's excellent tutorial.
spinecruncher

Post by spinecruncher »

I think I am a gonna take da plunge.
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Got the game. Played tutorial and I like the game system. Looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks.
JRR
surfcandy

Post by surfcandy »

I like what I've seen so far. I went through the Matrix catalog and I couldn't find games dealing specifically with the Desert War in WW2. I'll be purchasing tonight.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

If SlickWilhelm says it's a good game, it must be a good game!

Hi Slick it's good to see your Avatar again.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

Well, contrarian that I am, I find the graphics very appealing, functional and high quality. I am running the game on a 27" monitor at 2560 x 1140 resolution and the view is impressive. I have a powerful GPU and there is no delay or stuttering at all.

Have run SlickWilhelm's excellent tutorial through and am learning the game's mechanics (although there seems to be some changes in the interface and scenario since the turorial was written - no big deal). The replay feature after the WEGO turn works for me.

This game is very detailed and the manual is 130+ pages. Plenty to digest.

Although it is early, I am excited about the game. It is 'sexy' in its presentation of the desert war in WW2. I will withold a comprehensive review until I have the game tucked well under my belt.

Really, if the AAR's and bite-sized presentations on this forum don't give you the info you need to decide about a purchase then I can't really help you [:D]. At $40, imltho, it is a steal!

surfcandy

Post by surfcandy »

Bought it and so far I am happy with my purchase. The first thing that I was so happy about was the UI is very sharp and clear and easy to read @ 2560x1440. This is one of the few wargames that I can actually see EVERYTHING on the computer screen without a double take including and most important the zoomable to large unit counters! Seriously these older eyes are having a ball and are thanking me!
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

I am not a fan of any wargame where you can stack any more than 4 counters in a hex.

Makes it too hard to manage my forces.
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Hi Slick it's good to see your Avatar again.

Hello Yogi, my old friend and fellow beta tester! So glad to see you on here again. [:)]
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

In games like TOAW IV, stacking can get pretty crazy.

In this game, you can limit stacking in the editor, but that's not going to help with the canned scenarios without some work. I have read the Tutorial document (thank you, Slick) and am considering the game closely.
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

I have been watching Desert War for the past several years. Applaud the team that has brought this game to the public. Sincere, congratulations.
Have been reading the pro and con comments from players and found that they all have merit. There are some things Desert War needs to fix. But overall, and out of the box, it is an excellent game. My personal recommendations for the future are:

1. Expand the universe to beyond the desert in 1942.

2. Provide a user friendly interface for building new scenarios.

3. Build an event editor for adding variability to individual scenarios.

Overall, I think this game, and any that it should spawn, are a gift to the gaming community.
Desert War is new, it has some bumps, but I believe the team is committed to providing the best experience possible. I support their efforts.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i find it funny when one game makes a limit and players moan and then another doesn't and other moan there are no limits, so it seems you can't please everyone, imo the stacks are easy to manage, then again i test WITE2 and WITW so are used to having very high numbers of counters to move and sort, so i guess it's down to user preferences again[8|][;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

i find it funny when one game makes a limit and players moan and then another doesn't and other moan there are no limits, so it seems you can't please everyone, imo the stacks are easy to manage, then again i test WITE2 and WITW so are used to having very high numbers of counters to move and sort, so i guess it's down to user preferences again[8|][;)]

SO.... I'm waiting for the OFFICIAL zakbllod SEAL on this one.

Is it a GO or a NO GO?

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

it's down to taste tbh, if you like the area of battle and the units in, for me then it's a yes, if your not into the desert war and period, then i'd wait for something more to your time frame, so it's a balanced approach on this one, all war games i'd recommend if there done well, and this one has been done well, iv'e seen a few on steam i've voted down as they wasn't working as i had hoped, this one does, it has it's own engine, the developers are gamer's and players more than pure developers as such, so they have made a game they both like to play, and hope others enjoy there version and design, so for me yes
reynt

Post by reynt »

Bought.
Thank you very much for the translation for spanish, so it's nice.
The amount of information that the game provides is brutal. A 10.

By the way, the maps lack clarity.
Más juegos en español¡¡¡
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

Getting it now...thanks for the recommendation.
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

Got it and took a quick look at the intro scenario. My first impression is that this game has a very new and pretty different system and mechanics and I really like what I've seen so far. Something different for sure. This is my personal favorite theater of the WW II period, love the Desert Fox and the Desert Rats as well. I'm impressed with the graphics (old time hardcore war gamer) as I used to play the SPI and Avalon Hill table top games and my favorite was always CAMPAIGN FOR NORTH AFRICA. I'm calling it a night now and will be back into this DESERT WAR first thing. Looking forward to a new fresh take on this history.

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

glad your enjoying it[;)]

Return to “Desert War 1940 - 1942”