Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

FBD corps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> FBD corps Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FBD corps - 3/19/2018 2:11:02 PM   
beender

As I understand the manual, construction SUs attached to HQ automatically do rail repair, within the command range of that HQ.

Therefore, to complement the professional FBD units, does it make sense to stuff an empty corps HQ with a bunch of construction and labor battalions, lock it, and place it near the newly-finished railhead and use it as an "amateur" FBD?

The reason to use corps HQ is that it's command range is only 5, thus making it possible to focus on an area. When attached to army or armygroup hq (i suppose RHG command is army level), they will just choose locations as westwards as possible.

Will such a practice work?
Post #: 1
RE: FBD corps - 3/19/2018 2:25:26 PM   
ICalli

Great question Beender. I have been disappointed with the automated use of HQ ENG/Const SUs and would like to see a work around like this. Great thinking outside the box!

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to beender)
Post #: 2
RE: FBD corps - 3/19/2018 2:29:56 PM   
Telemecus

Yes very much so - and indeed you may find the RHG HQs ideal for that instead of a regular combat HQ. (usually even for RHG they only repair one or two hexes away)

When the Rumanian FBD disbands you may also want a Rumanian corps HQ for that (you may have to assign construction from High Command to army in one turn and then down to corps in next if you still have them in AGS). And also a spare Finnish corps for their three construction units helps.

The construction units in army groups and OKH can do a lot of repair too - but not necessarily towards your front from your easternmost railheads. So having these too can serve for those circumstances or where you want to make an especial priority to make a loop or connection. Hint make sure you have one rail line repaired from Germany to South that does not go through Rumania - it is quicker for Germans and when the Hungarian armies arrive without they will have to walk.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 3/19/2018 2:30:50 PM >

(in reply to beender)
Post #: 3
RE: FBD corps - 3/19/2018 2:30:11 PM   
postfux

Deleted because Telmecus was faster and smarter.

< Message edited by postfux -- 3/19/2018 2:32:04 PM >

(in reply to beender)
Post #: 4
RE: FBD corps - 3/19/2018 2:32:20 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: postfux

I do think that they get commited hierarchical, starting with OKH.

So getting them to OKH could be more efficient.

Problem with OKH and Army Groups is they were nerfed to not repair eastwards from your furthest rail lines as you would probably want the most. So in OKH they may be making loops in Estonia when you really want them building eastwards towards the Volkhov.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 3/19/2018 2:33:25 PM >

(in reply to postfux)
Post #: 5
RE: FBD corps - 3/19/2018 2:34:30 PM   
postfux

Faster and smarter again

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 6
RE: FBD corps - 3/19/2018 2:35:39 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: postfux

I do think that they get commited hierarchical, starting with OKH.

So getting them to OKH could be more efficient.

Problem with OKH and Army Groups is they were nerfed to not repair eastwards from your furthest rail lines as you would probably want the most. So in OKH they may be making loops in Estonia when you really want them building eastwards towards the Volkhov.

And quoted before you were deleted :)

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 3/19/2018 2:36:00 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 7
RE: FBD corps - 3/19/2018 2:38:05 PM   
beender

Ah as helpful as always. This explains why people are using RHG HQs.

Btw both of you are very fast and smart i am sure

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 8
RE: FBD corps - 3/19/2018 3:09:54 PM   
Denniss

Sounds like I have to freeze the RHG HQs for some turns to prevent their misuse as mobile railroad conversion unit.
You SHOULD have lots of problems getting the rails converted - Germans had massive problems with it.

(in reply to beender)
Post #: 9
RE: FBD corps - 3/19/2018 3:36:36 PM   
Telemecus

You can also use RHGs as a mobile flak unit.

103RHG will not add to an army group command penalty after AGS split if left in OKH, or before very much either. So could be loaded up with independent infantry regiments, Cavalry divisions and even Rumanian infantry/mountain divisions and Gross Deutshcland division (if assigned to 103RHG before it upgrades from a brigade). So it can be used as an ordinary frontline combat corps HQ too and give more space to your other units in other HQs.

Just need to delete all this before Denniss spots it though ...

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 3/19/2018 3:40:03 PM >

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 10
RE: FBD corps - 3/19/2018 3:40:06 PM   
charlie0311

Hey Denniss,

Not a problem.

Three FBD's to the Baltic rail sector then Vitebsk, etc, there is the problem.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 11
RE: FBD corps - 3/19/2018 4:15:48 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Denniss

Sounds like I have to freeze the RHG HQs for some turns to prevent their misuse as mobile railroad conversion unit.
You SHOULD have lots of problems getting the rails converted - Germans had massive problems with it.

The automatic rail repair units are already wayward enough, please do not make them even more difficult to manage.
IRL, rail conversion might have been slow, but I am pretty sure the high command had at least control in which direction the attempts were made.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 12
RE: FBD corps - 3/19/2018 4:20:42 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist
quote:

The automatic rail repair units are already wayward enough, please do not make them even more difficult to manage.
IRL, rail conversion might have been slow, but I am pretty sure the high command had at least control in which direction the attempts were made.

I probably have to add my support this. Even if you are creating a sort of pseudo-FBD it will still only repair one hex a turn. And depending on how you set it up could still mean spending points to reassign construction SUs. Any issues there are trivial compared with what happens with the FBDs. Losing FBD5 in 1941 and the withdrawal date for the Rumanian FBD have much larger ramifications.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 3/19/2018 4:21:12 PM >

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 13
RE: FBD corps - 3/19/2018 10:45:18 PM   
beender

quote:

I agree there should be a lot of problems. But maybe it's hard to simulate because they reflected more of a strategical mistake or oversight on the part of German leadership, a lack of intelligence about soviet. This is a problem people like us can rectify with hindsight.

And I am afraid as long as the rail repair, or any game system for that matter, is left some freedom, there will always be "creative" ways to play with it

< Message edited by beender -- 3/19/2018 10:47:07 PM >

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 14
RE: FBD corps - 3/21/2018 2:38:10 PM   
Wheat

Well, we wouldn't want the Germans to repair ONE rail hex further east than they historically did, or on a date before they historically did, or...heck, on a rail LINE that they didn't repair historically.

(in reply to beender)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> FBD corps Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI