Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is this enough?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> Tech Support >> Is this enough? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is this enough? - 3/13/2018 5:31:54 PM   
djoos5

I have been running command now for years on my current PC of at least 5 years of age, but it is time to update.

I purchased this new machine and after a long discussion of choices, the sales rep said that my CMANO software should run just fine. What else do we REALLY need a computer for anyway?

Anyway, I know all of my other software will operate fine as they are just accounting and finance applications.

My question is - is this enough to accommodate CMANO for smooth play at 5 second time elapse? Do I need to add anything else to the system? I understand that the SS-drive will aid in efficient game play.

I am going to move over my old Video card, but does anyone have any other suggestions they would make?

Thanks in advance.

DJ

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1
RE: Is this enough? - 3/13/2018 6:11:08 PM   
Cik

most important thing is processor speed. i'd try to push 3.4/3.6+ without OC on 4-core I7 if i wanted to play big scenarios.

also there's a bunch of stuff that isn't listed on that that's pretty important. stock cooling for CPUs is generally bargain bin trash, so you might want to get aftermarket on that. in addition where is the video card ? not that important for command granted but you might as well get one if you are going to be playing video games.

P.S. you should definitely build it yourself, it is the way to go.

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 2
RE: Is this enough? - 3/13/2018 6:23:08 PM   
djoos5

Thanks, Cik!

I appreciate the reply.

I have to admit - my PC hardware spec literacy is pretty low these days. I am not sure what 3.4/3.6+ without OC on 4-core I7 means.

Are you saying the I5 quad-core is not going to be enough to data process? I am assuming by I7, you are meaning two generations beyond what I purchased.

I have an 2Gb Nvidia video card that I will be putting in the machine once I unbox it.

As for building my own - I used to do that for myself. But as my gaming declined and I decided to just run most games on my Xbox consoles, I found it easier just to buy a pre-built machine as they run my business software just fine. CMANO, Flashpoint: Red Storm, and Strategic Command are the only games I run on computer these days.

I don't mind if CMANO needs to stay in 1:1 second play speed, at times, I just want to know that it won't overwhelm the new machine.

(in reply to Cik)
Post #: 3
RE: Is this enough? - 3/13/2018 6:30:29 PM   
thewood1

the i5-7500 should come in around 3.2 to 3.4 MHz on a single core and should be good enough to run some larger scenarios fairly well. I would install Command to the SSD. That should also help a little. The nVidia card won't make a big difference, every bit helps.

I am not sure how much of difference you would see between an i5 and i7.

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 4
RE: Is this enough? - 3/13/2018 8:46:42 PM   
djoos5

Thanks, thewood1.

I appreciate your insight, as well.

Well, I unboxed it and it's setting up now. So far I am happy.

I appreciate it, everyone!

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 5
RE: Is this enough? - 3/13/2018 8:53:41 PM   
CCIP-subsim

You should be okay! I've played it on systems MUCH slower than that and it was still perfectly functional (in fact it runs fine on my tablet PC which is about 2x slower than what you listed). The desktop that I run it on actually has lower specs in most regards except the video card, and it's rock solid.

The real question isn't whether it'll work, but how well - especially in large scenarios or if you want faster time compression. And while there's still room to improve, CMANO has become far and above more optimized over the last couple of years than it used to be.
Also a tip: the "2 sec" setting (added in 1.12 or 1.13 iirc) seems to be especially good for slower systems in large scenarios, because it actually runs quite close to real time in no-pulse mode (1 sec runs quite slow by comparison).

I think you'll do fine, enjoy the new system

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 6
RE: Is this enough? - 3/13/2018 10:59:32 PM   
nukkxx5058

Hi I recently asked the question. You can read this post. Interesting comments from other players.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4444097

(in reply to CCIP-subsim)
Post #: 7
RE: Is this enough? - 3/13/2018 11:28:35 PM   
Eggstor

Regarding i5 vs i7, the i7 typically has 3 advantages over the same-generation i5:

- HyperThreading (doubles the number of virtual cores)
- A faster clock speed
- A larger cache

On my i5-6600K (16 GB RAM/500 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD), 5x time with high-fidelity active runs smooth on all except the largest scenarios. Turning off high-fidelity makes even large scenarios run smooth.

Unless that's a bargain-basement SSD (not all SSDs are created equal), you should be far more than good for all your PC games and business software.

(in reply to CCIP-subsim)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> Tech Support >> Is this enough? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI