Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advice on getting un-detected as a submarine.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> Advice on getting un-detected as a submarine. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advice on getting un-detected as a submarine. - 3/11/2018 8:55:31 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

The first Silent Service scenario I tried was Lone Wolf. My orders say to remain undetected, but I failed to do that early on, as I was detected and effectively tracked by an Akula.

I would like some general tips on how to shake other submarines off my tail and hide again, especially if I am already in a very advanced sub such as the Seawolf.
Post #: 1
RE: Advice on getting un-detected as a submarine. - 3/11/2018 9:37:13 PM   
Grazyn

For that mission, I used sprint and drift during the trip, sprinting at maximum depth and staying just over the layer during the drift phase. I also used the drift phase to get the contacts report from the MPA.

A good thing to know is that the Russian side doesn't share their contacts with their subs (they have no comm) so don't panic if you get pinged by an active sonar from an ASW chopper or buoy while you're tracking an enemy sub close to you, the chopper can't tell the sub you're there.

If you get detected, shaking off another sub may not be easy, you can try to slow down to 2 kts or even full stop and then go to the opposite side of the layer (over if the other sub is under and viceversa) and move away at creep speed.

< Message edited by Grazyn -- 3/11/2018 9:41:40 PM >

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 2
RE: Advice on getting un-detected as a submarine. - 3/11/2018 9:48:02 PM   
hellfish6

It's been a while since I've played with subs... does transiting within the layer offer any advantages? The game kinda defaults to above or below the layer, so I'm not totally sure if being within it has any use.

(in reply to Grazyn)
Post #: 3
RE: Advice on getting un-detected as a submarine. - 3/11/2018 10:08:05 PM   
Grazyn

Staying within the layer would be the best way to stay undetected but the game only allows you to automatically stay over or under, you can of course manually set the depth inside the layer but this means that you'll find yourself outside of it when the layer changes unless you check the depth very often

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 4
RE: Advice on getting un-detected as a submarine. - 3/12/2018 3:35:04 AM   
rmunie0613

A bi it depends on luck I think, but I have gotten the AI side to track "me" away from the "real me" a few times by firing a torpedo and then maneuvering quickly, or guiding the torpedo by wire, to where it is on a different heading than me...the AI chases usually down the heading it detected the torpedo on, so if you time it correctly, you can dive deep and quietly while it chases you in the other direction.

(in reply to Grazyn)
Post #: 5
RE: Advice on getting un-detected as a submarine. - 3/14/2018 10:20:03 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Thank you all for the advice. I just completed the Lone Wolf scenario.

I steamed through the Sea of Okhotsk within the thermal layer. Never encountered any SSNs or SSKs. Made it to the Ryazan's patrol zone, and was able to get in range to sink her after I got the order to.

Then I raced out of there an into the safe zone within the layer again, so i got a score of 500 Triumph.

It's a good scenario.

(in reply to rmunie0613)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> Advice on getting un-detected as a submarine. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI