Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Whose plane is it?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Whose plane is it? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Whose plane is it? - 3/8/2018 5:29:09 PM   
Skyros

Any ideas, pilot had 4 kills?

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Whose plane is it? - 3/8/2018 6:42:05 PM   
Lecivius

He's from VF-6. Any idea where this was taken?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 2
RE: Whose plane is it? - 3/8/2018 7:12:43 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I believe that Lexington was carrying VF-3 (Off the USS Saratoga , which had been torpedoed) so that she would be carrying Wildcats rather than Buffalos. Don't let the "Felix the cat" logo get you. There is some controversy as to which squadron was entitled to it , and both wore it at different times till the Sec Nav settled the matter. LCDR Butch O'Hare had by this point shot down 3 Betties , and one Mavis by this time. I'm not aware of any other Navy flyer having 4 kills at the time.

VP-92 sig banner

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3
RE: Whose plane is it? - 3/8/2018 8:18:40 PM   
Korvar

quote:

The short answer is "it's complicated" - enough so that it's probably going to take further footage, especially of tail numbers, before we can hope to sort it all out.

For those interested, I suggest reading the excellent historical background of what's known so far given by a historical researcher.

EDIT: I didn't really answer your question originally - this picture was taken at the Lexington wreckage site.

< Message edited by Korvar -- 3/9/2018 1:54:41 AM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 4
RE: Whose plane is it? - 3/8/2018 9:01:08 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Korvar

quote:

The short answer is "it's complicated" - enough so that it's probably going to take further footage, especially of tail numbers, before we can hope to sort it all out.

For those interested, I suggest reading the excellent historical background of what's known so far given by a historical researcher.

You are all barking up the wrong tree. The plane currently IS in Davey Jones possession. There should be a new thread about who piloted the aircraft previously.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 5
RE: Whose plane is it? - 3/8/2018 9:10:30 PM   
Zorch

That Davy Jones, he has a lot of ships

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Whose plane is it? - 3/9/2018 1:32:49 AM   
Major Shane

quote:

ORIGINAL: Korvar

quote:

Great discussion site, thanks for posting the link.

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 7
RE: Whose plane is it? - 3/9/2018 2:14:57 AM   
Korvar

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

You are all barking up the wrong tree. The plane currently IS in Davey Jones possession. There should be a new thread about who piloted the aircraft previously.

Your comments reminded me of something everyone should keep in mind while we solve the mystery of who piloted this F4F. The standard Navy practice was to assign a specific aircraft to a pilot, serviceability permitting. The USMC standard practice was to pull all aircraft into a common pool and assign pilots during each mission briefing. We're very likely dealing with an aircraft that was in service of both the Navy and the USMC (however briefly) per the link I posted earlier.

For example, Pappy Boyington of USMC fame did NOT fly around in one aircraft named "Lulubelle" - in fact, his common practice was to take the aircraft in the worst shape of the flyable aircraft that day to make sure his youngest pilots had the best equipment. The aircraft "Lulubelle" was painted up for photo-op purposes then and to sell you model kits today.

So, the ultimate answer will probably be that this particular airframe was flown by multiple pilots and was painted with the four kill markers and a particular pilot's name for the purposes of a Time magazine style photo-op - especially considering this was the time frame of the DooLittle Raid and showing in the press how the US is "striking back" against Japan:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major Shane

Great discussion site, thanks for posting the link.

You're welcome!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Whose plane is it? - 3/9/2018 11:59:26 AM   
geofflambert

Thach of the "Thach Weave". I had thought when I first heard of it that it was called the "thatch weave". Oh, that would be on the President's head!

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 9
RE: Whose plane is it? - 3/9/2018 12:07:17 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

I believe that Lexington was carrying VF-3 (Off the USS Saratoga , which had been torpedoed) so that she would be carrying Wildcats rather than Buffalos. Don't let the "Felix the cat" logo get you. There is some controversy as to which squadron was entitled to it , and both wore it at different times till the Sec Nav settled the matter. LCDR Butch O'Hare had by this point shot down 3 Betties , and one Mavis by this time. I'm not aware of any other Navy flyer having 4 kills at the time.

You know, I sometimes think "kills" should have been numbered by engine, so this aircraft would rate 10 "kills".

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 10
RE: Whose plane is it? - 3/9/2018 12:34:53 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Thach of the "Thach Weave". I had thought when I first heard of it that it was called the "thatch weave". Oh, that would be on the President's head!

looks like 3 kills.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 11
RE: Whose plane is it? - 3/9/2018 12:41:03 PM   
MakeeLearn

USS Lexington in the Panama Canal. 1934.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 12
RE: Whose plane is it? - 3/9/2018 1:01:04 PM   
MakeeLearn

USS Lexington, Coral Sea

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 13
RE: Whose plane is it? - 3/9/2018 1:33:38 PM   
wegman58

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

USS Lexington in the Panama Canal. 1934.

The Panama Canal is an interesting journey (as is (or at least was) the Suez Canal.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Whose plane is it? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI