Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Crossing Straits of Messina

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Crossing Straits of Messina Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Crossing Straits of Messina - 3/6/2018 8:45:32 PM   
Ski01

Working through the Italy Campaign as a learning exercise. I am having my backside handed to me.
Have just crossed the Straits of Messina (way late) - I found the only way to do it was to use the Amph HQ as 'ferry' and sledgehammer directly across with 2 Div up head-butt attacks. But it took several weeks of attacks to get across. Is there a better operational technique?
(No I did not have Amph prep done to mount a lateral landing in the Gulf of Taranto unfortunately....)
Post #: 1
RE: Crossing Straits of Messina - 3/6/2018 9:27:43 PM   
cfulbright

I didn't even know you could do that!

Cary

(in reply to Ski01)
Post #: 2
RE: Crossing Straits of Messina - 3/6/2018 10:20:05 PM   
apd1004

You might check out some of the tutorials & walkthroughs in the War Room, in particular the ones on invading Italy. There are so many more possibilities than just the historic ones.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3964247

One strategy that is suggested is to re-target the airborne drops and some of the amphibious invasions (I just invaded Sicily with the US seaborne units only) on turn 1 so you get back 49 of their prep points which means you can conduct another invasion by turn 3. (not sure if the Italy scenario refunds the prep points as well, might just be the 43 Campaign).

In my current game I never did cross the Straits of Messina. In my mind, Taranto and the backside of the heel (Foggia-Brindisi-Bari area) is a much bigger prize than Reggio Calabria is. Instead I chose to invade the upper toe area which cuts off any German troops in the toe, then I moved on Reggio Calabria from the north. If you can then cut off and/or disable the ports in the toe, the entire area will become isolated and you can bag all of the units left there without much of a fight.

apd1004

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 3
RE: Crossing Straits of Messina - 3/8/2018 9:46:19 AM   
Ski01

great - thanks - forgot about that resource!!

(in reply to apd1004)
Post #: 4
RE: Crossing Straits of Messina - 3/8/2018 12:25:52 PM   
Chuske

Opposed crossing at Messina is tough. If your opponent holds both hexes opposite the ferries it is better to do an amphib landing elsewhere in Italy but keep some troops in Messina to keep some enemy units tied up in the toe.

The AAR by loki100 even though it's the full campaign may help you in future http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4429752 in particular he discusses that the amphib task forces are not all needed from turn 2 in Sicily so you can free some up immediately for landings in Italy, Sardinia or Corsica. As you repair ports then you can free even more up and abandon your temp ports created when invading.

The user formally known as jonboym

WITP:AE - Useful Info for Beginners

WitW Tutorials

WitW Beta/Alpha Tester

(in reply to Ski01)
Post #: 5
RE: Crossing Straits of Messina - 3/9/2018 11:17:23 PM   
Ski01

thank you all!

(in reply to Chuske)
Post #: 6
RE: Crossing Straits of Messina - 3/9/2018 11:33:03 PM   
sandman2575

In all the grand campaigns I've tried, the Axis AI strongly blocks the Straits passage by garrisoning Reggio de Calabria and the Toe in general. It means that, unless you plan from Turn 1 or 2 for a non-historical landing in Italy, you will definitely fall behind the Allies' historical schedule. It's pretty frustrating.

(in reply to Ski01)
Post #: 7
RE: Crossing Straits of Messina - 3/25/2018 3:12:04 PM   
GeneralDad

quote:

In all the grand campaigns I've tried, the Axis AI strongly blocks the Straits passage by garrisoning Reggio de Calabria and the Toe in general. It means that, unless you plan from Turn 1 or 2 for a non-historical landing in Italy, you will definitely fall behind the Allies' historical schedule. It's pretty frustrating. -sandman2575

Agreed. While I just won a major victory in an Italian campaign big where I used partial FOW and upped my air game - I only did so because the AI made egregious mistakes and left a number of pocket-able and destroy-able units for me to kill. I landed at Taranto and Salerno - the big Taranto landing being my departure from history. If I can figure out how not to destroy my strategic air on turn one (its getting better for me), I will continue on with the 43-45 campaign I have started. But I am worried about suffering your your Stalingrad at Naples and my general perception that the game either favors the defense or the Germans over history - especially if you try a historical Italian landing.

GeneralDad

(in reply to sandman2575)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Crossing Straits of Messina Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI