New Computer will not run JTCS!!??

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

tula1959

New Computer will not run JTCS!!??

Post by tula1959 »

Just bought a new system last week (pc win10)! Installing all my fave games - both OOBWW2 and CSME installed/updated/run just fine! But not so with JTCS.
I have been running JTCS for years on older systems with Win10 no problem and was surprised to find problems this time - I know it is NOT Win10 that is the issue and am thinking there is something
about the new system itself that is at issue (if that is even possible???)???

The new machine is an HP Pavilion 570 with an Intel core I5 7thgen processor, 16gig ram, and a 2gig Radeon graphics card (sweet system!!) The install on JTCS goes just fine - and the first screen to play comes up - fine all the way
through to selecting a scenario but will NOT launch the game, just blinks back out to the initial play screen!!?? Have tried the tips/fixes could find in the postings such as setting the .exe files to Admin but no joy... Have also tried various
compatibility settings to Win7 and WinXP just to see...still no joy... And another odd thing - just to see I hit the update button on the initial game screen to see if it would - does not get past the "creating handle" step and comes up with "error" msg. every time!!

Since I know the game works with Win10 on my older, less advanced systems, I am wondering if there is something about the new system itself that is at issue here??? The diff btw the new and the old are a much more advanced processor and a graphics card (the old ones had integrated graphics)
I am at a loss as to what else to try at this point...Thoughts, comments, ideas, tips would be much appreciated!!!!
zakblood

RE: New Computer will not run JTCS!!??

Post by zakblood »

there are a few things to look for, anti virus logs for one, just in case you have a known poor none game friendly version of one.

next is are you an administrator on the account your using?

some games like media player on the pc, as it has the correct codec for some games, you don't need to use it, just have it installed works for most, maybe not an issue with this game, but some do
Attachments
default apps.jpg
default apps.jpg (82.43 KiB) Viewed 701 times
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

next check to see if you have all the pre requisites for the game installed and running, eg working, no matter what version of what ever you have on the pc, it's not backwards compatible with old games, without the correct version installed as well

Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (193.42 KiB) Viewed 700 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

some newer games work fine with windows 10 settings, others don't and need so slight tweaks

if you don't know what it is, 9 out of 10 times you won't need it or use it, ive never used it, and run everything fine without it,...
Attachments
game bar.jpg
game bar.jpg (185.52 KiB) Viewed 699 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

like iv'e said, there's no right or wrong, some use stuff, while other games don't, but to have them installed, just in case work wonders

as most older games are needing certain files, and windows 10 by default has removed these, just add them back in will give you for some game, the files needed as well as you also adding the pre requisites with the game when asked, no matter how many times, are you sure you want to cancel the DirectX or .Net installer? er nope, what ever it asks, install it, no matter if you just have only 10 mins before, as you won't have 20 copies if you install it 20 times, it installs to a default place, so only over writes
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (171.62 KiB) Viewed 699 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

media player same answer as above

the more older stuff you add into windows 10, the more backwards compatible you will make it,...

i haven't got the older version, but can guarantee 100% i could get it working, without any issues
Attachments
media player win 10.jpg
media player win 10.jpg (81.12 KiB) Viewed 699 times
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Zak is good with the info, check the anti virus at times as well as a reinstall. You just might have to be a computer doctor for the day. Someone will figure this out. Plus, sometimes I restart the computer and things work.
tula1959

Post by tula1959 »

Cant thank you enough Zak!!! It was the Legacy component Direct Play!!! Found it per your instructions and activated it and running fine now!!!
I would never have found that solution on my own - these forums are a true life saver thanks to guys like you!!!
tula1959

Post by tula1959 »

And the anti-virus firewall was preventing the update to 2.02 - turned it off and update came through just fine!!!
Then turned it back on of course LOL!!! Again many thanks for the help!!!
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

9 out of 10 time its the simple things in life, glad to have helped, with most AV programs, running the game or app or update as admin will give it the permissions to run, unless it's a poor one, then sometimes adding the exe to the safe list or white list for some helps it get by, as it's scans it and either thinks too long or doesn't like something and stops the update etc, so glad all is well and you can now enjoy the game.
digiartst

Post by digiartst »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

9 out of 10 time its the simple things in life, glad to have helped, with most AV programs, running the game or app or update as admin will give it the permissions to run, unless it's a poor one, then sometimes adding the exe to the safe list or white list for some helps it get by, as it's scans it and either thinks too long or doesn't like something and stops the update etc, so glad all is well and you can now enjoy the game.

I have done everything you said to do, It brings up the start screen but the buttons for the game do not respond, i have a 1080 graphics card, do you think that is maybe it.

BTW every other old game runs fine bombing the reich, and war in the pacific for example.
Thanks
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: digiartst

I have done everything you said to do, It brings up the start screen but the buttons for the game do not respond, i have a 1080 graphics card, do you think that is maybe it.

BTW every other old game runs fine bombing the reich, and war in the pacific for example.
Thanks

Anything in the error logs in the game folder? Frontend.log, Engine.log, Error.log in particular?

Please delete all log files first, then start the game, then check the log files again.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

check the AV logs and see if that has stopped something from running, most of the time with a poor AV etc, it stops game files in it's tracks, where as running as admin on the install and game run as admin with a good AV doesn't, but yes some cards aren't all there cracked up to be as well and some you may have more issues with than others, so unless someone with it will say it works, that's a harder one to fully answer as well tbh
blackcloud6

Post by blackcloud6 »

ORIGINAL: digiartst

Thanks

I'm having the same issue. I've tried some of the fixes above and it still does not work. I tried to run ef.exe directly from the game's folder and get an error that says the program's side by side configuration is not correct. How can I fix that?
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Get the most up to date microsoft redistributable, that is most likely the problem.
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: blackcloud6

I'm having the same issue. I've tried some of the fixes above and it still does not work. I tried to run ef.exe directly from the game's folder and get an error that says the program's side by side configuration is not correct. How can I fix that?
Answered in the third section of the 2.0* Update Tech Support FAQ.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
blackcloud6

Post by blackcloud6 »

ORIGINAL: berto

ORIGINAL: blackcloud6

Answered in the third section of the 2.0* Update Tech Support FAQ.

That worked, thanks.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”