Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strategic Bombing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Strategic Bombing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strategic Bombing - 3/4/2018 1:03:26 AM   
jboldt007

Hi all - not a question but an observation . In my first GW i had the western allies load up long distance bombers on the coast of England for raids on the factories in western Germany. This can be effective but to really hit the axis they need to get at the axis oil supply it seems. This means, with Soviet assistance with their good long range bombers, focusing on Ploesti and the oil supply which will end up northern Italy and eastern Germany, and cuttIng off any oil coming in from the Middle East. The CW or US can raid and capture the oil in Libya but otherwise it means strategic bombing into Eastern Germany and Italy. Having bombers likely shipped to Tunisia (if taken), Malta, or Middle East then until bombers can be based in France. Does this make sense?
Post #: 1
RE: Strategic Bombing - 3/4/2018 2:02:50 AM   
paulderynck

Most players go after the low hanging fruit and are satisfied with the Germans losing BPs, especially from Lille and other western factories. Long range raids on Ploesti are expensive and (like in the real war) don't occur often.

Paul

(in reply to jboldt007)
Post #: 2
RE: Strategic Bombing - 3/4/2018 10:15:05 AM   
Centuur

If Germany puts their oil reserves in the east, there isn't a lot that the Wallies can bomb. And the Soviets should not build long range bombers, but infantry, lots of infantry.

And how to protect your expensive bombers? Don't forget: you've paid 5 to 6 BP for a bomber and it's pilot and if Germany has FTR's in range of the oil reserves, than you can lose a lot of build points each turn.

Peter

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 3
RE: Strategic Bombing - 3/4/2018 6:09:44 PM   
jboldt007

Thanks. Right: it does seem like marshalling long range bombers for maximum effect and protection is paramount to justify their cost- particularly if playing without carpet bombing too. Haven’t played enough to go beyond the “low hanging fruit” option.
Ive noticed there seems to be a bit of a window when the mosquitoes show up as night fighters but this window closes once Germany starts bullding its good night fighters which have enough range to cover the Germany industries.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 4
RE: Strategic Bombing - 3/4/2018 6:23:57 PM   
jboldt007

... and beaufighters I should add...

(in reply to jboldt007)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Strategic Bombing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI