Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 11:33:29 AM   
jjdenver

40 MJ Axis i5, allied i7, axis i9:

Unfortunately the weather turns rainy so the Allies have time to run the double BEF away into southern France. Here is the situation at the start of axis i9:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 4/7/2018 12:32:14 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 31
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 11:46:36 AM   
jjdenver

40 MJ i9:

However, with impulse 9 the sun comes out again and the Wermacht is ready to exploit the weakening allied position.

A +16 assault is planned cut off French corps south of Paris and a +17B on the 5-4 behind the river in the hex SE of Paris. This will allow over-run of flipped LND3 SW of Paris.

Both attacks succeed.

Heavy ground strikes are also launched on Paris, flipping the FTR and the ARM in the city. However the turn ends after i9 so there is no chance to make an assault.

Here is the situation at end of MJ 40 in France.

The German high command is satisfied with the situation. The turn started with the only French losses of the war as a GAR and the Paris MIL and a double BEF present in France. With 3 clear weather impulses in MJ 40 the Wermacht has made great progress and the fall of Paris seems likely in JA 40.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 32
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 11:50:00 AM   
jjdenver

40 MJ Med:

The Axis forces in Morocco work to cut off the British forces there but the Brits withdraw to Casablanca. Rabat falls so Morocco is conquered.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 33
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 11:51:55 AM   
jjdenver

40 MJ Manchuria:

In Manchuria the Japanese press to the outskirts of Seoul, taking the resource hex in the mountains there while also reducing the trapped army led by Yamamoto. The Imperial marines survive the turn and the Japanese sue for peace with the USSR.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 4/7/2018 11:52:35 AM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 34
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 11:54:01 AM   
jjdenver

40 MJ China:

The situation in China worsens as a partisan force takes Canton and the port there from Japan. Chang-sha is already surrounded and Umezu's army group near Kweilin is also in great danger of being cut off.

Japan is building at 8 per turn and the lone bright spot is that an ARM hasbeen deployed to the area west of Shanghai with a MECH about to arrive also next turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 4/7/2018 12:14:58 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 35
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 12:11:05 PM   
jjdenver

40 MJ:

Here are losses to date in the game.

I'll pause here to write briefly about Euro-axis strategic planning. I can't write everything that is being planned because this is an ongoing game but I will reveal some of the strategy thoughts being debated by German high command (of course in consultation with il Duce).

Paris looks like it will fall in JA 40. The BEF will either escape or form a defense of the Spanish border to delay any German ambitions for a Spanish invasion. German losses have been in my opinion: medium with 6 BP lost in Poland, and 15 BP so far in France (mostly planes and PIL but also significantly the Engineer on the Metz assault gone bad).

German builds have been in my opinion neutral (intentionally). Some would say the German build strategy is indecisive and that's probably a fair criticism. I haven't been able to decide yet which strategy to follow post-France. German builds have basically been:
3xsynth
ARM
2xENG (incl the dead ENG)
ART
lots of pilots and planes
a few MIL

Italy has built:
ATR
PARA
SUBs(mostly repairs)
lots of pilots and planes

GE has been lending IT resources and build points.

I think this set of builds will be fine for a Med strategy or a Barb 41 strategy.

It's also fair to say that this set of builds is not optimal for any strategy.

Progress in France is good but the convoy war has basically been a bust. I think the Axis have only destroyed a couple of cp's so far in the game. The French navy has been knocked about but the French navy isn't really a decisive factor in the game (to say the least). Progress in N. Africa has been good with Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia all taken.

In hindsight there are a couple of key Italian builds that I wish I'd made but that's water over the dam so nothing can be done about it now.

One solid option (imo) is to take Paris in JA 40, declare Vichy, and turn east to face the Soviets. This is because the Soviets are now sitting on 34 resources including Manchuria and are set up to also take Persia. If left alone they will be huge by 42. Their only loss is an LND3. Scary.

The fly in the ointment is that the Brits have a strong force in South France and if Vichy is declared while they hold Bordeaux or Bayonne it will be extremely difficult to force them out and that can turn into an allied beachhead in France if the Germans are not careful.

The Germans could also launch a med campaign in 1941. Spain can be assaulted and Gibraltar probably taken. The double BEF heading to South of France means the Wermacht has to chase them there and puts the Germans in position for an attack on Spain. This could be done over the winter of 40-41 but a winter campaign trying to cross the Pyrenees is a tough go. Instead it may be better to wait for MA or MJ 41 and set up a strong attack on Spain. This will give time to position invasion assets in the Med and quickly over-run the border.

Overall the situation looks very bleak for the Axis. The Japanese have taken grievous losses and are building at only 8 BP per turn. The British have lost literally nothing and their convoys have run basically un-molested. German losses while not high, are at least significant. It's hard to see a good path to Axis victory in the game, but Germany will make plans to try to achieve something in 41. First though it's necessary to take Paris which has a strong garrison (7-6 ARM/2-3 AA/6-1 GAR).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 4/7/2018 2:02:01 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 36
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/5/2018 5:00:23 PM   
jjdenver

40 JA: Allies get init and decide to go 1st.

Britain declares war on Italy and sinks or damages some cruisers in the W Med. SU also declares war on Persia. A ground strike from Gibraltar flips the Italian FTR in Rabat but Balbo re-orgs it on i2. Here is the situation in France at the start of axis i2.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 37
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/5/2018 5:02:27 PM   
jjdenver

41 JA i2:
In China, Japan has now mustered sufficient force to go on a mid summer offensive. Here is the situation in China at the start of i2.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 5/5/2018 5:03:57 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 38
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/5/2018 5:03:42 PM   
jjdenver

40 JA i2 China: JP launches an attack on the chicom army holding Nanking and the city falls.

The Empire (of the rising sun) strikes back!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 5/5/2018 5:05:12 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 39
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/5/2018 5:08:45 PM   
jjdenver

40 JA i4:
Situation at start of i4. An assault is planned on Paris but first the Axis plans a strong air sortie into the W Med to challenge the huge British fleet patrolling there after pounding the Italians out of the zone in early July.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 40
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/5/2018 5:10:33 PM   
jjdenver

40 JA i4:
Axis gets surprise on the huge CW fleet and an air combat ensues. Despite being the underdog, the CW cvp's manage to shoot down an Italian bomber wing and abort both Axis fighter wings.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 41
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/5/2018 5:12:44 PM   
jjdenver

40 JA i4:
Despite being shoved around in the air combat, enough Axis air gets through the carrier plane CAP and the huge AA barrage to pick an X on the Ark Royal but it saves. However the Axis air keeps at it and picks a D on the now damaged Ark Royal which is sunk!

Royal Sovereign also takes a few hits but is only aborted.

The RN has seen enough and the SZ is evacuated with various fleet elements returning to Port Said and Liverpool.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 5/5/2018 5:17:12 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 42
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/5/2018 5:18:31 PM   
jjdenver

40 JA i4:
Axis plans also progress on land as a massive assault is launched against encircled Paris while fierce air battles rage, and the city falls. Eureka.

With this roadblock removed, the way is open to advance fully into western and southern France where the BEF holds out around Marseilles (where the French BB's are based) and the French army fortifies Vichy, Lyons, and Marseilles.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 5/5/2018 5:32:10 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 43
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/5/2018 5:23:00 PM   
jjdenver

41 JA i6:
Here is the situation at the start of i6, the 3rd Axis impulse of JA 40. An attack is planned to reduce Vichy and the Wermacht also continues to advance near Bordeaux, seizing a bridgehead over the Garonne.

The BEF consisting of Wavell, Gort, MECH, MOT, INF and 2 FTR2 have taken up positions in the Pyrennees near Bayonne to delay any German attack into Spain. It will be a job to dig them out.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 5/5/2018 5:34:18 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 44
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/5/2018 5:25:50 PM   
jjdenver

40 JA i6:
Vichy falls to assault and now the French are down to Bordeaux and Lyons as major cities still under their control.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 45
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/5/2018 5:27:34 PM   
jjdenver

40 JA i6:

In China, the Japanese blitz a 2-4 CAV. A string of 2 successful attacks gives the axis team some hope that Japan is down but not yet out of this game. Despite building at a pitiful 8(?) they now have peace with USSR and have landed enough force to start to nibble away at the large Chinese army that has advanced eastward.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 46
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/5/2018 5:30:24 PM   
jjdenver

40 JA EOT:

Unfortunately the turn ends on a 1 after allied i7. A very short 3 impulse JA 40 for the Axis after only getting 3 impulses in MJ 40 as well. It's ok though as the Euro-Axis have kicked the RN out of the W Med, and Germany has struck several mortal blows into the double BEF and French military. Japan is ridiculously weak but there is still life in the Axis despite all of these problems.

Ominously, USSR has started to move forces west from Siberia and conquers Persia this turn.

Here are EOT losses for 40 JA. 40 SO losses are also shown but I'll tell that tale in an upcoming post. I'm too lazy to edit the image to remove them.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 5/5/2018 5:32:52 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 47
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/5/2018 5:39:12 PM   
jjdenver

40 SO:
(spoiler) After a very fast summer, 6 axis impulses, the Axis are hoping for a long, clear SO turn. Allies win init and choose to go first but the Axis will indeed get 3 clear weather impulses in SO (yay) before the weather turns sour on allied i7 and the turn ends on i9 with storms raging across Europe.

Here is the situation in China at the start of 40 SO i2. Unfortunately Umezu, the powerful 8-3 INF, and some other units are encircled in the mountains with no hope of escape anytime soon.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 5/5/2018 5:40:19 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 48
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/5/2018 5:44:35 PM   
jjdenver

40 SO i2:
The Luftwaffe pounds Bayonne and manages to flip Gort. The Spitfires based in Bayonne also destroy with no PIL surviving an Me-110 wing. On their impulse the allies will move Wavell into Gort's hex and unflip one of the FTR2's (both were flipped).

Also on i2 the Italians sail subs into N Atl to raid the convoy line. One SUB is damaged, the other aborted but they manage to sink 3 cp's in what is I think the first convoy raid success of the war for Italy. (maybe I'm forgetting one but I think this is the first?)

Here is the situation at the start of SO 40 i2

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 49
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/6/2018 12:21:22 AM   
jjdenver

40 SO i4:
The Germans and Italians had set up a surprise attack on Malta planned for beginning of SO 40. However, the ending of JA on i7 on a roll of 1 prevented the rail moves that were needed to get the attack ready for beginning of SO 40. However, by moving a few units in i2 the Axis have been able to set up a different attack on Malta. Key to the plan is cutting supply in E Med something that is accomplished by German air in E Med.

The single black print unit in Malta is also flipped by a horde of Axis air and the invasion goes in, taking the island and securing a strong position for Axis in the center of the Mediterranean Sea.

There was also a FR TER from W. Africa that walked across the desert to take the resource hex in Algeria. However, the TER met a rude reception when Balbo and a couple of German corps that were transiting eastward across the Atlas mountains in Morocco marched south to destroy the TER.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 5/6/2018 12:22:54 AM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 50
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/6/2018 12:25:40 AM   
jjdenver

40 SO i4 (continued):

The Wermacht also puts in a heavy assault on Bayonne and the port falls, leaving the units BEF farther inland isolated in the mountains along the Spanish border. In addition a couple of CW FTR2's are over-run in Bayonne. In all the elimination of the entire BEF will eventually result in something like 26 BP loss to the CW although it slows down the German war machine and makes the Germans re-think whether an attack on Spain is a good option.

Also on a sad note, at some point (I don't recall exactly when) the CW/US player decided that he wanted to leave the game so 1 player will now run all of the allies.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 5/6/2018 12:28:09 AM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 51
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/6/2018 12:31:06 AM   
jjdenver

40 SO i6:
The euro-axis content themselves with some ground strikes but no attacks are launched since the GS on the 7-4 MOT near Bayonne fails and even though a 5-3 is flipped in Lyons the attack odds are not good enough.

However near Tripoli a FR corp is caught OOS and destroyed by the Tripoli garrison troops.

In China the Japanese launch a 3rd(?) successful attack, a blitz in central China. Yay.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 52
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/6/2018 12:33:22 AM   
jjdenver

40 SO i7:

As previously mentioned weather gets nasty starting with allied i7 and the Axis doesn't manage to do anything in i9 other than roll a 2 to end the turn. Aircraft have been searching in CSV this turn but without success so far.

All in all the Axis got 10 clear weather impulse in the 1940 campaigning season:
MA: 1
MJ: 3
JA: 3
SO: 3

This was enough to accomplish a lot but of course more could have been done. Here is the situation in China at EOT.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 5/6/2018 3:52:40 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 53
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/6/2018 12:34:16 AM   
jjdenver

40 SO:
Here are losses to date

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 54
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 5/6/2018 12:45:43 AM   
jjdenver

40 SO wrap-up:

As Euro-Axis commander I spent much of JA and SO agonizing over how to proceed. The overall situation is that the euro-axis are quite successful having seized Malta, Morocco, and inflicted heavy losses recently against the Tommies as well as the French. However, USSR looks huge, now building with the factories and resources of Manchuria as well as Persia. The Japanese are in a simply awful position, building at something like 8 BP per turn.

We faced some game bugs and had to go from v 2.7.5 back to 2.7.0 (cvp disappearing or not working correctly bug). So I can't easily load the save game to see exactly what JP was building at.

Given this situation the German high command decides to employ a strategy that I personally don't like because I think it's too powerful. I'd normally never choose this strategy because in an evenly balanced game I think it can be too strong. My philosophy is that I like both sides to be enjoying the game and I always prefer an interesting game to a one-sided game. So this strategy isn't my cup of tea at all.

However in this game I feel that something drastic is needed to keep the Axis in the game and give us a good chance to make it into 44 and 45 with a good game still going on. So the decision is taken to try to take Gibraltar by air and sea assault rather than going through Spain. Euro-Axis builds have to pivot to support this strategy so an IT AMPH is laid down (waaaaaayyyy too late haha), and all PARA and MAR divs are built by Italy and Germany as well as an IT ATR.

Japan will be lucky to survive into 44/45 and I'm not sure at all that Japan will even be able to seize its' basic defensive perimeter of Manila, Singapore, and NEI. Japan will also face an SU DOW probably in early 42. So Japan has really got a lot of work to do to re-establish some sort of order in China, prepare a defense of Korea and N. China v SU. On top of this only 1 JP CV, a CVL, has been built. I don't think any other naval assets at all have been built including no CV's, no BB's, no TRS, no AMPH, no SYNTH.

Japan has begun to take back some of China but by only killing 1 unit in JA 40 and 1 unit in SO 40, CH has got the +.25 PM boost which gives it extra BP's so China is still very strong.

So Euro-Axis needs to do whatever possible to put pressure on CW and eventually SU while also forcing US to pay attention to Europe rather than focusing heavily on the Pacific.

Although I'm not happy with the overall situation I'm looking forward to trying a med strategy. I've never tried this before with Germany so it will be interesting.

Here is the situation at EOT SO 40 in Europe.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 5/6/2018 12:59:05 AM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 55
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI