Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/3/2018 9:03:47 PM   
jjdenver

I'll try to do a very sparse AAR on a 4-player email game. The protagonists shall remain nameless other than yours truly who will be playing the Euro-Axis side.

The Euro-Axis started the game with one strategy in mind and have already on the first turn decided to try a different strategy. Due to infosec reasons, this strategy shall remain un-described for now.

The game started out with JP and SU starting each other down. 4 JP units including the HQ and approximately 6 SU units face off along the Manchurian border. Here is a look at China setup.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/3/2018 9:06:57 PM   
jjdenver

Germany set up heavy against Poland but with enough in the west to threaten the low countries after Runstedt reorganizes reserves. The idea is to quickly smash Poland without losses then get the Wermacht and Luftwaffe west to take advantage of any decent weather in SO/ND 39. In the meantime perhaps Holland - or even Belgium if the right opportunity presents itself - can be seized.

Italy set up on the Tunisian border and French border.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 2
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/3/2018 9:16:33 PM   
jjdenver

39 SO i3

Germany launched a lot of high odds attacks in i1 but unfortunately the assault on Krakow turned unexpectedly bloody. A +13 assault resulted in 2 losses for Germany and a half-flip. The losses were an AT DIV and an INF. Here is the situation at start of i3. The allies also strat-bombed Germany for 2 PP. Not a good start for Germany with 8 BP's of losses already by i3.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 3
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/3/2018 9:32:42 PM   
jjdenver

39 SO i3-7:

In Europe, Germany DOW'ed and over-ran Denmark during i3 (1 USE chit) then the Soviets took Baltic States and E Poland. Weather held clear on i5 so IT DOW'ed France (after getting its TRS back from Red Sea on i3 - it picked up an INF from E. Africa). The search roll for the FR navy in the W Med failed to find but a couple of divisions were landed next to Algiers.

Also in i5 Germany took Holland. No attempt was made to take Rotterdam since all allied lift capacity was used to bring the BEF to France and a unit from Africa to South France.

i7 was spent marching the Wermacht across Germany hoping for an extended SO turn that might allow a DOW on Belgium. Alas it was not to be as the weather turned sour and the turn ended before the Wermacht could reach the West Front in force.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 3/4/2018 1:55:30 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 4
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/3/2018 9:35:41 PM   
jjdenver

39 SO i7

Here is the situation in the Med. On i5, Italy found the French fleet in W Med and sank the Bearn after shooting down the CAG aboard Bearn. Libyan troops are closing on Tunis while the Italian divisions have taken Algiers and march on Oran.

Subsequent to this the French and Italians both found in the next impulse and some minor damage was done to the French fleet by the Italian and German air. Unfortunately the FR TRS in the 0 box could never be brought under fire and it RTB'ed in Marseilles at EOT.

Italian SUBs planned strikes at French convoy lines in E Med, CSV, and BoB but all failed to find any target.

Algeria and Tunisia were both conqured at EOT.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 3/4/2018 1:35:38 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 5
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/3/2018 9:36:30 PM   
jjdenver

39 SO i7-i11:
Here is the situation in China after various manuevers that I didn't pay close attention to at end of i9 when turn ended. No combats on first turn.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 3/4/2018 1:56:04 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 6
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/3/2018 9:44:33 PM   
jjdenver

SO 39 EOT:

Here are losses for the turn. Note that the 2 PP's of strat bombing damage to Germany are not shown here so overall GE lost 8 BP's in the turn.

Germany was able to do some damage to the Danish and Dutch fleets. Port attacks were launched on both in port then both were over-run causing more losses. However 14 Polish, Danish, and Dutch cp's escaped to strengthen the Commonwealth merchant marine.

Germany built:
HQA
PIL
LND2 (both Stukas are in force pool so Germany needs to build those out asap)
MIL
save 1 BP

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 3/3/2018 9:46:50 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 7
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/3/2018 9:54:20 PM   
jjdenver

39 ND:

The first few impulses of ND 39 flew by in a haze of bad weather. The French fleet stayed in port (with the TRS) while the CW sailed Wavell to France.

The Italian SUB force again sailed but failed to find French convoy lines. A strat bomb attempt on France failed. The Wermacht and Luftwaffe completed their movement from Poland and lined up along the Belgian border.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 8
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/3/2018 9:54:45 PM   
jjdenver

39 ND up to i9:
More manuevering in China although there was one attack vs the 2-2 Kunming MIL near Hainan at +21 which destroyed that unit. No strat bombings yet in China either. I haven't paid much attention but it looks like a dance between the chicom and the Japanese Army in the north while in the south the Japanese have built up some force south of Changsha and are threatening Nanning.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 3/3/2018 9:55:19 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 9
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/4/2018 3:40:29 AM   
rkr1958

Thanks Johnny! Now I've got another fast paced and exciting AAR to read. Look forward to following your progress.

Ronnie

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 10
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/4/2018 2:04:45 PM   
jjdenver

39 ND i9:

Weather unexpectedly turns clear in i9 (20% chance) and things get exciting when Stalin declares war on Japan. US doesn't seem to care much (just 1 chit not 2), and the situation looks perilous for JP with the rail line to Manchuria cut by a Chicom army near Nanking and Terauchi surrounded by ZOCs and swamp in the north. A cunning move by young Zhukov. SU doesn't make any attacks on their impulse.

A ground strike on Terauchi's hex by an IL-4 fails to flip, and a search by Soviet SUBs in Sea of Japan fails to find the lone cp out in that sea area.

Japan looks to be in for a hard fight.

One note: We did agree prior to game to manually enforce SU-JP peace pact even though it's not yet coded in MWIF.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 3/4/2018 4:13:09 PM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 11
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/4/2018 2:12:41 PM   
jjdenver

39 ND i10:
JP responds to the Soviet DOW by launching an all-out assault on Changsha to try to clean up that mess and presumably free up troops to respond to the Chicom adventures around Kaifeng-Suchow and for service in Manchuria. Winter weather next turn might give JP some time to reinforce Manchuria before spring.

Japan reacts to the pressure on Terauchi by moving the Harbin MIL into the swamp hex and moving Terauchi one hex SE.

Farther south Yamamoto's army group threatening Nanning pulls back east.

Tense and exciting stuff.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 3/4/2018 2:21:35 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 12
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/4/2018 2:15:22 PM   
jjdenver

39 ND i10:

Changsha falls to the heavy Japanese assault and Umezu can celebrate a victory before turning his attention to the events farther north.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 13
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/4/2018 2:19:15 PM   
jjdenver

39 ND i10:

Meanwhile in Europe Germany DOW's Belgium and with heavy air support manages to take Antwerp and Liege without loss. The US doesn't seem to care about Belgium.

With the clearing of the weather front, Italy also launches a port attack against Marseilles that manages to damage the FR TRS anchored there.

The turn continues and i11 brings a return of bad weather to Europe.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 14
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/8/2018 11:38:59 AM   
jjdenver

39 ND EOT:
Here is the situation in French N. Africa at EOT ND 39. The French fleet is in port and the Italians and Germans are in actions in Algeria and Corsica.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 15
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/8/2018 11:41:29 AM   
jjdenver

ND EOT Belgium:

Here is the situation in Belgium. Germany was able to take Brussels but the allies have advanced to form a strong line including the BEF that is growing.

This is a puzzle that the German high command is making plans to solve...but much depends on weather.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 16
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/8/2018 11:44:19 AM   
jjdenver

39 ND EOT China:
Here is the situation in China. JP has fallen back in central China but has sent an army toward Kweiyang farther south. The communists continue to block the rail line leading to Manchuria but the Changsha resource is now free to rail to the coast and be convoyed to Japan. Japan needs more troops so every BP will count.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 17
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 3/8/2018 11:47:24 AM   
jjdenver

39 ND EOT Manchuria:

Here is the situation in Manchuria. Note that allies will move first in JF 40 and get snow weather(we are in JF 40 now as I post this) so Terauchi is in real peril since with snow the swamp is treated as forest and the Soviets can take both cities to Terauchi's rear.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 18
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 10:24:08 AM   
jjdenver

40 JF:

Jan-Feb went long - impulse 17 but there were no clear impulses and Axis got only 3 impulses so nothing much happened in Europe. Italian SUBs weren't able to locate convoys in Cape Vincent Basin sz and some strategic bombing attempts on the French failed.

The Italians and Germans continued to reinforce Algeria and pressed into Eastern Morocco while the British landed a division at Casablanca.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 19
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 10:26:06 AM   
jjdenver

40 JF:

In Manchuria the Red Army led by Zhukov pressed south and destroyed Terauchi.

Japan landed Yamamoto (transported from south China) and a marine corp at Port Arthur and MIL near Peking.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 4/7/2018 10:30:18 AM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 20
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 10:27:32 AM   
jjdenver

40 JF:

Unfortunately the chicom army in middle china was blocking the rail line north which made it difficult for Japan to deploy troops into Manchuria.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 4/7/2018 10:29:28 AM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 21
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 10:43:26 AM   
jjdenver

40 MA:

Allies won init and moved first. The weather remained bad for the first 2 axis impulses so German SUBs sailed into the North Atlantic but were rudely greeted by Royal Navy with (I think- don't remember exactly) both German SUBs being damaged. The German SUBs weren't able to have any effect so I probably should have just saved them until they could base in Brest.

Finally on the 3rd axis impulse, i14, the Germans get their first and only clear impulse since the one clear impulse they had to take Belgium in ND 40. However, the clever allies have pulled back out of Belgium to avoid ground strikes by the German ART during their clear impulse (i13).

German high command realizes this is probably the last impulse of the turn so every Luftwaffe plane with wings will be put into the air and the wermacht surges forward to try to disrupt the allied line, with the hope of exploiting any gains in May-June.

Ground strikes on the French ARM and the HQ behind it are flown but fierce French air resistance shoots down a German FTR. Nevertheless the there is some success disrupting the French armored corp.

A decision is made to make an infantry assault on the French armor because there are also strong AT assets in the hex so sending in panzers would be bloody.

Another assault is launched at Strasbourg over the Maginot using engineers, fallschirmjagers, and strong HQ support.

The attack has mixed success. Strasbourg is taken so the Maginot is breached. But the expected results are not gained vs the French armor (the hope was to cause 2 losses and force the French to lose the ARM or AT) and only the Paris MIL is lost.

The allies get a final impulse, i15 to try to re-order their lines.

In a heroic act the Fairey Battle wing flies from England and disrupts both Runstedt and the MOT stacked with him - an amazing ground strike. But the only effect is to burn some German oil.

The screenshot is at EOT MA 40:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 4/7/2018 10:45:07 AM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 22
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 10:52:50 AM   
jjdenver

40 MA:

Things don't go well for Japan in Manchuria. The Red Army continues its' march south, taking the Manchurian capital of Changchun.

When the allies get the clear weather impulse in late turn they are positioned for a devastating blitz on Yamamoto and his powerful army group which is unfortunately caught in the clear terrain north of Mukden. This attacks succeeds in cutting off Yamamato and to make things worse there are 3 face down JP planes in Mukden which are walked over and destroyed including all 3 PIL by the Soviets in the final allied impulse. Things have gone from bad to worse in Manchuria.

Note that we are house-ruling the JP-Soviet forced peace and now that Manchuria is conquered, SU can force the peace but not until next turn, MJ 40. This means that Yamamoto's surrounded army group has to try to survive May-June - which is unlikely.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 4/7/2018 10:53:39 AM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 23
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 10:54:43 AM   
jjdenver

40 MA:

Here is Manchuria at end of turn

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 24
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 10:57:55 AM   
jjdenver

40 MA EOT Med:

The Italians continued to advance into Morocco. During the only axis clear impulse I tried to move some German corps forward and the game appeared to let me move through CW ZOC's. I thought this was a bug so I intentionally re-loaded the land move and moved the German corp's before moving Balbo (HQI) to put them in supply - thus flipping them.

It was only later that I realized it was not a bug after posting a question on the forum. (thanks PaulDerynck and forum) The CW troops in Morocco are at war with Germany but not with Italy. When German troops move through a hex containing Italian troops the CW ZOC does not extend so the Germans can essentially move free of ZOC as long as an Italian is in the hex. Interesting rule nuance so I thought I'd mention it.

The plan for May-June will be to flank the Brits in Morocco. They are already short on troops with a double-BEF in France (Wavell + Gort) and trying to cover Malta, Gib, England, and Egypt. And with the ability for Italians and Germans to ignore ZOCs their flanks will be tough to secure.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 4/7/2018 12:26:39 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 25
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 11:00:55 AM   
jjdenver

Here are all losses to date at end of MA 40.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 26
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 11:11:18 AM   
jjdenver

40 MJ:

Axis lose init MJ 40 but call for a re-roll and thankfully the initiative is won.
i1: sees an o-chit on Guderian. The Luftwaffe launches ground strikes and the French air force rises to the challenge. Both sides lose planes but the Germans get the better end of the air combat and the tally is 1 GE FTR2 shot down and 2 FR FTR2 shot down. The ground strikes go through with mixed success. The ARM and AA behind the French front are missed. The hex with 2x5-3 INF and an AT gun sees one INF flipped, and the Italian LND3 fails to flip anything on another ground strike behind the French lines. However in Metz both French corps are flipped.

2 attacks are launched.
1) the hex with 5-3,5-3,2-3AT is a +14B
2) Metz with 3-3,4-1 is a +16A

The +14B is not as successful as the Germans hoped but is enough to get a breakthrough and 3 o-chit doublings have been saved for the purpose of over-running the French 5(2)3 HQ.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 4/7/2018 12:27:15 PM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 27
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 11:13:13 AM   
jjdenver

40 MJ i1:

The +16 assault on metz is a bit of a disaster though with a roll of 4 causing the loss of the ENG.

But Metz is taken thus further cracking open the French front and putting the French troops still in the maginot in danger of being cut off.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 4/7/2018 11:14:20 AM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 28
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 11:16:29 AM   
jjdenver

40 MJ i1 continued:
The Italians fly naval air into the Cape Saint Vincent sz and cause some damage to the beleaguered French navy.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 29
RE: 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) - 4/7/2018 11:17:13 AM   
jjdenver

40 MJ i3:
Here is the situation at the start of i3 after the o-chit was used in i1. The allies have retreated but the line is vulnerable to the panzers.

5 attacks are planned:

1) automatic on the French CAV holding Lille
2) +14B on hex SW of Lille
3) +12B on the hex NE of Paris
4) +9B on the forest hex SE of Paris (retreated east to put them OOS and flipped)
5) +22B on the hex SW of Metz

The attacks are basically successful but flips make it necessary to use Runstedt to re-org units so that the offensive can proceed.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 4/7/2018 11:35:17 AM >

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> 4 player email AAR (from Euro-Axis perspective) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI