Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Detection

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> Detection Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Detection - 3/2/2018 11:39:26 PM   
sherlock1

Playing a submarine scenario How would you know if your detected by a enemy sub or surface ship?
Post #: 1
RE: Detection - 3/2/2018 11:51:35 PM   
ExMachina

torpedo

(in reply to sherlock1)
Post #: 2
RE: Detection - 3/2/2018 11:52:10 PM   
SeaQueen

quote:

Playing a submarine scenario How would you know if your detected by a enemy sub or surface ship?

They shoot a torpedo at you?

If you show the enemy underwater sensor rings you can get a sense of how far away they might be able to see you, but that's often the worst case scenario. You can often get closer than that. It's really a question of how much risk you are willing to accept.

< Message edited by SeaQueen -- 3/3/2018 2:26:35 AM >

(in reply to sherlock1)
Post #: 3
RE: Detection - 3/3/2018 2:14:41 AM   
apache85

It's elementary, you just use your powers of deduction

In real life as in the sim, the enemy's behaviour is what is going to tip you off. If nearby surface units fire up their active sonar and start moving faster, then they might have detected you. Or they could be trying to scare a nervous sub commander into giving away their position. Not knowing whether you've been detected is just as much an issue in reality as it is in CMANO.

As others have mentioned, the gold standard of detection indicators is the incoming torpedo. All the other indications are based on what the bad guys are doing and are subjective based on the situation.

(in reply to SeaQueen)
Post #: 4
RE: Detection - 3/3/2018 3:56:08 AM   
Cik

i don't know about you guys, but i've always kind of leaned towards surfacing the sub and getting my megaphone.

get the intel guy aboard who speaks russian and yell at them "HAVE YOU GUYS DETECTED US?"

strangely enough they always answer yes though, i think perhaps sub stealthiness is very far overrated.

(in reply to apache85)
Post #: 5
RE: Detection - 3/3/2018 8:16:14 AM   
Lowlaner2012

Im am playing the crown jewels scenario and am on my second try, on my 1st try I tried my luck and dared to go above 5 knots within passive sonar range of a surface ship, I immediately got a flash message to say that I may have been detected and then every ship headed towards my sub and I died very quickly...

Maybe with subs its best to say "no news of good news" and if the enemy are still patrolling slowly in there assigned routes "keep calm and carry on"

Cheers

(in reply to Cik)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations >> Detection Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI