An Attempt to use MWiF to Simulated WW2 Reasonably Historically

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

rkr1958

An Attempt to use MWiF to Simulated WW2 Reasonably Historically

Post by rkr1958 »

After four attempts to play MWiF competitively (albeit friendly) over the past year and a half, I’ve come to the conclusion that at best I’m a weak player and I’m ok with that. This weakness is compounded by the fact that I also try to play this game as an historical simulation. So poor execution combined with an historical play bias is a perfect formula to get one’s tail flamed, which happens to me quite regularly in my friendly completive play. Though both my opponents have be most gracious, I always seem to have that nagging feeling that I’m not giving them a good enough game especially in light of the time required to playing through a global war scenario.

In addition to my friendly competitive play attempts, I have several solo games under my belt. My favorite scenario by far is the Global War scenario. I love having all the land, air and naval forces of all the belligerents battling it out across the globe for six years to determine the fate of mankind. I love the scale, I love the mechanics (well most of the them anyway) and I love the feel that I get when I play MWiF. Most importantly, for me at least, I love the feeling of history “trying to come alive”. A feeling that, frankly I’ve lost recently and one that I’ve been longing to revive. To fill that “longing” over the past two years I’ve read a number of military books, albeit from the American perspective, but hey I’m American. For those interested, and even those who aren’t (), here’s my list in order read:
(1) "With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge.
(2) "Helmet for my Pillow" by Robert Leckie.
(3) "Islands of the Damned" by R.V. Burgin (Burgin was Eugene's squad leader).
(4) "You-ll Be SOR-REE!" by Sid Phillips (Sid and Eugene were best friends and grew up together in/near Mobile, AL).
(5) Shifting to the ETO. "Band of Brothers" by Stephen E. Ambrose
(6) "No Surrender" by James J. Sheeran
(7) "The Liberator" by Alex Kershaw
(8) Shifting back to the PTO. “The Admirals: Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy, and King--The Five-Star Admirals Who Won the War at Sea” by Walter R. Borneman
(9) "Under a Blood Red Sun." by John J. Domagalski
(10) “Behind Japanese Lines, An American Guerrilla in the Philippines” by Ray C. Hunt and Bernard Norling
(11) “The Battle of Midway” by Craig L. Stmonds.
(12) “How They Won the War in the Pacific: Nimitz and His Admirals” by Edwin P. Hoyt.
I also subscribe to the periodical magazine, “WWII History” published by WARFAREHISTORYNETWORK.com which I’ve been reading between books and MWiF play.

So those few of you who are still following all this may be asking, “So what is this all about?”. Well, I’ve been wondering pretty much since I completed my first global war scenario over three years ago whether it’s possible to use the MWiF game engine and mechanics to create a reasonably accurate historically simulation of WW-2? In other words, is it possible to bring the history of WW2 alive with MWiF, be entertained and do so with a minimum of house rules, scripting and faking it? Especially the later two, if I have to resort to scripting or faking it then I might as well rewatch the BBC 1974 series, “World at War”.

I’m not sure what will come for all this but I thought I’d document it along for those interested and / or wish to contribute. At this point this will be my third attempt in the last couple of months at this. I will discuss my failures as I move forward with this third attempt.
Ronnie
rkr1958

RE: An Attempt to use MWiF to Simulated WW2 Reasonably Historically

Post by rkr1958 »

In my latest abandoned attempt, which I decided to jettison late last evening, there were several things I tried which I liked and a few that I tried that I definitely didn't. I plan to cover a lot of those detail as I progress through this "AAR", so I won't bore you will them all just now; however, there were three things I tried which didn't work, which I don't see how I could make them work and which I don't plan to try again. They are:

(1) Cruisers in Flames,
(2) The Winter War between the USSR and Finland,
(3) Germany's invasion of Norway.

(1) Cruisers in flames - as you can probably tell by my reading list in the above post, I enjoy reading and learning about the naval aspect of WW2. I really like the idea of having the extra ships (i.e., CL's) and what they represent, however, these extra ships and the optional rule that comes with them just seems to give the allies too much of an advantage in the Battle of the Atlantic. There are more than enough ships, with plenty left over, to patrol all the sea areas threaten by axis subs and simultaneously support other missions. I feel it just unbalances the naval war too much in the allies favor, therefore in my 3rd upcoming restart I will not be playing with cruisers in flames.

(2) The Winter War - I definitely had fun fighting this one out but under the engine and mechanics of MWiF I just don't see how demanding the Finnish borderlands is a good thing for the USSR. Even if they're positioned as they were to fight Finland if Germany (i.e., Finland) refuses, the Soviets will (most likely) immediately lose two chits. Also, being at war with Finland presents a problem given the meager 5 land actions the communist get especially if the ChiComm's are being pushed by the Japanese in China, as they were in my last game.

(3) Germany's invasion of Norway - Again, I had fun fighting this battle but even if allied resistance is light and the KM is able to slip by the RN in the North Sea, which I scripted to allow in my last game, this operation ties up 3 to 4 German divisions, mostly likely it's airborne corps, 3 to 4 planes, an HQ-I and a quality infantry corps in order to quickly knock the Norwegians out. And all these forces are tied up at a time when they would be sorely missed on the western front in that fight against the French and Brits. And then there's the 13 CP's and 2 transports sure to be remotely setup by the CW and "evacuated" to safer waters as soon as the CW gets the chance. That's an outright gift of 21 BP's, which at this point in the game is approximately 120% of a single turn's production for the Brits. While the Germans do gain an additional RP, this gain, in my opinion, is just too small given what it cost to take and defend Norway not to mention the 21 BP gift to the CW. Invading Norway as the Germany's did historically makes absolutely no sense as MWiF now works.

Attachments
AttemptOp..alRules.jpg
AttemptOp..alRules.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 1416 times
Ronnie
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

I read Rick Atkinson's "The Day of Battle" covering the US Army's maturation in Sicily and Italy after it's new-war baptism in Africa (his book "An Army at Dawn"). There is a third book I presume about D-Day and forward in western Europe. He is a currently working historian who uses lots of and lots of first person source material. I look forward to picking up the other two entries in the trilogy.

There is a lot of sausage-making in the WiF rules set, particularly in parts of the naval system. That is what makes the game so eminently playable however. The trade-off is that the game rewards playing to the rules system, like most wargames, really. It doesn't penalize you for sending out your infantry to die, over and over and over again, until your opponent is defeated. Only the Russians operated that way in WWII. The secret of "what to build", asked recently here is: the most boring units, the infantry. Anti-tank guns are pretty darn good too, for some powers. Gamers like to build the shiny stuff though.

I do however like how the game teaches you that aircraft now rule the seas - so build lots of them, the ones with long range, and you won't need to build very many ships. By 1945, the Royal Navy was taking sailors off ships to meet pressing manpower needs elsewhere. WiF players don't make that mistake.

It is good to practice campaigning in Norway. The next edition of the rules make it a dynamic theater. I played a solitaire game recently where the Allies rolled the worst possible result for the Axis in Norway - things did not go well for the Germans afterwards. But then I play the Royal Navy the way Churchill wanted to - on the attack. Oh, the places Allied units can go if the Baltic is open...

In RaW7, the Germans do have one option to minimize the fleet transfer to the Allies from the Norwegians, but it is expensive - use a Chit to call a Super Combined Impulse and invade every Norwegian port at once. You also need to just pull the trigger and Do It, but WiF players can be as nervous about losing their ships as Hitler is frequently accused of being, though he did ultimately lose many of his actually at sea. There is a good chance the German ships headed to the Arctic will slip past the Home Fleet, just as in history. In the North Sea, light a fire under Goering and put the Luftwaffe to work.

Strategically, it doesn't seem to gain you much. But Hitler's paranoia about the place is sometimes proven true when the W. Allies take a neutral Norway in 1943 and start causing a cavalcade of problems for Germany - it is a good way to "stretch" the Germans. So is Churchill's "Soft Underbelly" in the Balkans.

More interesting than attacking Norway, imo, is practicing an Axis attack on France while leaving The Netherlands neutral. That doesn't hand the CW up to 10 CP right there, and they might not miss them much until the Russians suddenly need them.

I find the Winter War also under-appreciated in the game. The Soviets don't have to actually push all the way to Helsinki and take the necessary casualties along the way. Threatening to do just that might reward them with a few goodies in the Far North, for one. If they force the Finns to circle the wagons around Helsinki, the Finns will probably not be able to cut the rail link to Murmansk on the first turn of Barbarossa. Then 2 factories can be railed there, a good way to maximize potential aid from The West. (Also good to ship a factory to Archangel and then store Western Oil there in the summer for use in the winter). 2 Chits is a serious thing though, especially in 1939. But the USA might have a couple three 0 or 1 chits in 1940, so...

An important thing you learn in the game is the importance of western aid to the Russians - very historical. The German wave has to be forced to crest somewhere for the Allies to win, and that somewhere is usually in Russia, not too far from the Volga.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Brian - Thanks for the info/feedback. I agree 100%, especially after my previous failed two starts, that "playing to the rules" is a must. At least as I understand what that means. For me it means no scripting, no fudging to force an historical situation and no house rules. Now as I march forward in my third attempt, which likely won't be my last, to achieve historical bliss my combined command staffs of each major power will be subservient to the policies set by senior national leaders. In the case of the Democracies (USA, CW & France), these policies will be set by elected or appointed civilians who often times set policy without regard to optimizing military strategy or military builds. For example, when one plays MWiF as a game then who knows to quit build navy ship hulls in late 1943. I don’t plan on doing because this presupposes that one would know with near certainty when the war is going to end. Though I do, but I’m going to try to play as if I didn’t. And, as you state in your post, one can send cardboard counters out to die over and over without regard to morale or even anger on the home front. While sacrifices in war are necessary, needless or unacceptable losses in the Democracies will not be tolerated. After all, FDR has a 4th election to win in November 1944.

Now it's a totally different situation for the communist and fascistic where one man, in the case of Germany, Italy and the USSR, or a few men, in the case of Japan, are in absolute control of both their country and their country's armed forces. Even then, one can image a Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini or Mao giving in to some degree to a "sub-optimum" request in order to keep the peace among the services. For example, Hitler giving in to the Adm Rader and the KM by allowing the completion of the battleship Tirpitz in not only believable but happened historically.

My current planned approach for this next attempt is to act the part of the high command in this "Man's Army" and execute policies set by senior leaders through a series of standing orders (SO’s) or combined stand orders (CSO’s) issued from the high command to the various theater, army group and army commands. SO’s will be issued by the high command of one country to the armed forces of that country only. CSO’s will be issued by the combined high commands of two or more countries for the armed forces of those two or more countries. In any case, and I expect there to be some, where SO’s conflict with CSO’s; SO’s will be give priority over CSO’s by the country in question. It’s assumed that SO’s are private to that one country and not known by other countries, even ones allies.

I have drafted several SO’s and CSO’s for the major powers involved (i.e., USA, CW, France, China, Germany, Italy, Japan and the USSR) and tried to execute my previous game under a number of those draft. As I proceed with this AAR, which I calling the HIstorical AAR, or HIAAR, 2018-01, I will be presenting these SO’s and CSO’s for comment, critique and revision/deletion. I’m also soliciting ideas from the community from SO’s and CSO’s that they believe might improve the historical accuracy of this journey given the abilities and constraints of the MWiF gaming engine and ruleset.
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Oh, I must add that while I'm striving for historical accuracy and immersion; the most important thing is I want to have fun doing this since playing a full global scenario of MWiF and posting it in an AAR takes quite a bit of time and effort. Really what I'm staying, and I think all of you would agree and understand, I only want to keep doing this while it's fun. Once it becomes too much like work then it's time to step back, take a look, take a break and start again if one feels so inclined.
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

HIAAR 2018-01. Optional Rules.

Note, the optional rule, "Cruisers in Flames" under the category of "Additional Units" is now off.

A very important point that I wish to make at this time. While I strive for historical simulation (i.e., accuracy and immersion), I wish to do so using MWiF campaign strategies and tactics that would be sound in competitive play though I approach this solo. Note that I exclude global strategies, or most of them anyway, that are employed by highly competitive and successful (M)WiF players. Though as we progress, I would be keenly interested in the community's thoughts on the (historical) believablity of some these strategies. For example, global strategies where the CW and Churchill abandoned the Med, or deploy a strong BEF and/or AEF to the Soviet Union in 1941/1942, Soviet armies abandoning their frontiers.

Attachments
00OptionalRules.jpg
00OptionalRules.jpg (348.79 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I read Rick Atkinson's "The Day of Battle" covering the US Army's maturation in Sicily and Italy after it's new-war baptism in Africa (his book "An Army at Dawn"). There is a third book I presume about D-Day and forward in western Europe. He is a currently working historian who uses lots of and lots of first person source material. I look forward to picking up the other two entries in the trilogy.
By the way, thanks for the book recommendations too. I'll take a look and likely dive in to Mr. Atkinson's books after I finish the one I'm currently reading, which is (12) on my list above. That is, "How They Won the War in the Pacific: Nimitz and His Admirals” by Edwin P. Hoyt. Interesting read as the first edition of this book was published back in 1970. One thing I got very interested in after reading Mr. Stmodns, "The Battle of Midway" book was the "Flight to nowhere" launched from the USS Hornet. This flight included the famous VT-8 (Torpedo squadron 8) that attacked without fighter cover. All planes were shot down and all crews were killed except for Ensign Gay who was the squadron's navigator and piloted the last plane in the formation. Though he was shot down and his rear gunner killed he survived until rescued. He had a ringside seat to the sinking of the Japanese carriers. He went down in the middle of the Japanese KB task force.

The other two squadrons of the "flight to nowhere" VB-8 & VF-8 failed to find the Japanese. One theory is that they deliberately flew the wrong heading looking for a second carrier task force. Whey they launched only two of the four Japanese carriers at the battle of Midway has been seen. Regardless, the neither squadron had the fuel to get back to the Hornet. Many of the dive bombers returned to Midway and many of the fighters had to ditch in the ocean. One major positive was that most of the fighter pilots were rescued.
Ronnie
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: rkr1958
... whether it’s possible to use the MWiF game engine and mechanics to create a reasonably accurate historically simulation of WW-2?

FWIW, whenever the AI gets implemented I expect it should take a reasonably accurate historical path for both sides. If there will be difficulty levels, then certainly at higher difficulty players should expect a few surprises and ahistorical strategies. Against a competent and historically accurate computer opponent, players can then try to stick to the historical strategies and see how well they do versus history. Other than that, this is still a game and anything goes within the rules.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

If you want to read a good book in English from the German perspective of the war, there's "Achtung Panzer" from Guderian, which is translated into English.
Peter
Sir Roland

Post by Sir Roland »

"Most importantly, for me at least, I love the feeling of history ¡§trying to come alive¡¨."

You're not the only one who tries to play along a historical time line. At least it starts out that way.

WiF is a great "what if" wargame. With so much RNG going off. Time lines can easily go off the rails. The great discovery is how far the drift. Its also the fun.

What light does the rabbit hole lead to. As a simulation it can shock a player to see so many BP's in the Dead Pool. How far off the rails plans can fail or work.

A most understanding RNG is going to be desired. But desire will be all you get. Especially on those critical rolls. The ones that allow you the discretion of "what if".

MWiF does have a resource you could use to help decide some historical plans. The description of units. As far as the theater of war to send them. How they get used is unknown.

As a gamer. Its easy to look at the CRT and plan for the worse roll. I'm curious how you will tackle the puzzle ahead of you. Thanks for giving a heads up on this AAR.
Its going to be quite the journey. Looking forward to reading about it.

Best of Luck!

btw
Love the list of books, especially "With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge. Great book.

Currently reading https://www.amazon.com/Theres-War-Be-Wo ... 034541909X

aka Warhunter
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

While do more research on the Battle of Midway I came across a site that had Adm Nimitz's op order to his task force commanders. I found it very interesting and thought I'd post it.

Attachments
opplan2942p1.jpg
opplan2942p1.jpg (173.76 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

I've attached a zip of the pdf of the entire order.
Attachments
opplan2942.zip
(468.78 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

By the way on page 1 of the Op order, under Task Force SIXTEEN there are two references to, "1 DL". My understanding of USN hull designation's is that DL stands for "Destroyer Leader", which was created in the 20's I believe. However, the first USN DL, DL-1, the Norfolk, wasn't commissioned until 1953 well after this period.

I was wondering if anyone knew what this designation meant back in 1942 where Nimitz issued this order?

Attachments
opplan2942p1.jpg
opplan2942p1.jpg (127.59 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Japanese and Soviet Tension.

This is more than just tension. Two weeks after the official start of the second world war on September 1st, 1939, the Japanese and Soviets are ending an undeclared war on the Mongolian and Manchurian border that's be raging for four months. This conflict was known as the Battles of Khalkhin Gol and the Soviets stopped the Japanese cold by defeating the Japanese 6th army. The battles of Khalkhin Gol were a result of Japan's design of what appears to be all of Soviet Asia.

To represent the aftermath of this undeclared war and the tensions between Japan and the USSR in Asia I will:

(1) Keep a Soviet army led by Zhukov and composed of his HQ unit, a Siberian corps and an artillery division on the border until the USSR is at war with Germany.

(2) This will be countered by keeping a Japanese HQ unit and two other corps on their side of the border, again, until Germany and the USSR are at war.

(3) The Soviets as soon as practical will move the Mongolian Cav corps to this border. The Japanese will then add a fourth ground unit to counter.

(4) With respect to the rest of Manchuria and Korea, Japan will station an additional four ground units in those two countries to counter the four additional Soviet units on or within 3-hexes of the Soviet Asian border with Manchuria.

In effect, this tension will tie up 8 Soviet and 8 Japanese ground units, including 1 HQ unit each, until the Soviets are at war with Germany.

Attachments
00IJAUSS..anchuria.jpg
00IJAUSS..anchuria.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 1419 times
Ronnie
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Somewhere on the net there is a fascinating history of this battle. The main point is that the Soviets won because of superior logistics. The Japanese didn't think the Soviets could even fight where they did, as the Japanese could not fight so far from their rail lines. However, the Soviets committed 8,000 trucks to the supply the battlefield, an effort the Japanese could not match. After that the Japanese really did not want to fight the Russians.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

If you are ever interested in expanding your WWII reading material outside of a solely US focus then this excellent book is as good a place to start as any. This is especially pertinent given Pacific War to come.

Here is a short review I did for Amazon. Suffice to say this book got 5 stars.

Where? What?

Nomonhan is a little known military action fought by the Russian and Japanese Empires in the last months before the outbreak of World War II.

It was in fact only one of a number of battles and skirmishes (albeit by far the most important) that were fought by the two countries on the border of Russia and the Japanese occupied territory in Manchuria.

The author not only tells the story of the fighting that took place in this region, but also assesses the impact of the fighting and how this affected the decisions taken by Stalin and the Japanese government in the build up to World War II.

On the military side, the shortcomings of the Japanese armed forces in World War II can be plainly seen to have been in evidence in the way they conducted themselves before and during Nomonhan; the hot-headed Japanese officers and Gekokujo, the lack of sensible planning, the dismissive belief that the enemy was inferior, the inflexibility of Japanese operational plans - all were in evidence here.

This is a well written, interesting book and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone with an interest in World War II.

Attachments
13102802._..200630_.jpg
13102802._..200630_.jpg (67.1 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Nomonhan is a little known military action fought by the Russian and Japanese Empires in the last months before the outbreak of World War II.This is a well written, interesting book and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone with an interest in World War II.
Thanks. Will definitely add it to my reading list!

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

Somewhere on the net there is a fascinating history of this battle. The main point is that the Soviets won because of superior logistics. The Japanese didn't think the Soviets could even fight where they did, as the Japanese could not fight so far from their rail lines. However, the Soviets committed 8,000 trucks to the supply the battlefield, an effort the Japanese could not match. After that the Japanese really did not want to fight the Russians.
Thanks. In the limited research on the "Battles of Khalkhin Gol" that I did I came across two points that struck me,
1. Most of the survivors on both sides of these battles died elsewhere in WW2. Either in Mother Russia facing the Nazi on-slaughter or in the islands of the Pacific defending against the Americans.

2. A lot of wounded Japanese soldiers that could have been saved were left to bleed out during battle. Japanese enlisted men were forbidden to give aid to their fellow wounded soldiers unless directly given permission by a Japanese officer to do so.
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Scrapped & Lent Air Unit.

I don't think I was shy about either scrapping units or lending air units.

Attachments
00ScrappedUnits.jpg
00ScrappedUnits.jpg (689.46 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

IJN & RN Sea Lift.

In looking at sea lift, I definitely was aggressive with respect to Japan and, less so but still, with respect to Great Britain. I wanted to ensure that both Japan and Great Britain got the highest quality sea lift available at start. As Japan, I rarely, if I've ever, built additional transports or amphibious units. With the CW, I've never built all of there sea lift during a game, so I wanted to ensure by scrapping the ones not built out were the poorer quality ones.

Attachments
00IJNRNSeaLift.jpg
00IJNRNSeaLift.jpg (243.91 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Germany's Land Aircraft Draws.

Well I have to say that this is the worst draw for German land air that I've personally drawn or have seen anyone else draw. Of the 7 LND draws, 5 of which Germany could place at start, 6 had only 2 tactical factors! At least the 7th, Ju 87B, had 5. When you add in the one Bf 110C and two Bf-109 E2 fighter units, this gives the at start Luftwaffe,

(1) LND TAC factors = 1x5-TAC + 4x2-TAC = 13-TAC.
(2) F/B TAC factors = 1x3-TAC + 2x2-TAC = 7-TAC.

As a point of reference, in my last recently abandoned game, Germany's air draw was,

(3) LND TAC factors = 2x5-TAC + 1x4-TAC + 2x3-TAC = 20-TAC.
(4) F/B TAC factors = 1x3-TAC + 2x2-TAC = 7-TAC.

The Luftwaffe has some work to do in building up its tactical support. However, Germany really can't start this until next year (1940) after which time they'll get to scrap the two crappy LND2's (i.e., Ju86G), otherwise they have a 50/50 of drawing them instead of the two quality LND2's (i.e., Stuka Ju87B's).

Attachments
00GERLNDDraws.jpg
00GERLNDDraws.jpg (864.83 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
Ronnie

Return to “After Action Report”