Need Resource -- butI have plenty!

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Lieuallen

Need Resource -- butI have plenty!

Post by Lieuallen »

I'm a bit late to the party (a recurring theme for most of my adult life!), as I just started playing yesterday!

Things are going pretty well. But I'm now getting a message when I try to build a mining base "cannot complete because of resource shortage" (or words to that effect) and it lists several resources (steel, silicone, etc.). But when I check on the Colony page in the Cargo tab, I have plenty of these resources.

Are the things listed on the Cargo tab not available? How do I make them available? I've tried sending the Construction ship back to refuel at my main base (hoping that he'd re-supply himself), but that didn't work.

I should note that I'm playing the Universe version, and have everything set to manual (because I'm so manly!).

Thanks!
Retreat1970

RE: Need Resource -- butI have plenty!

Post by Retreat1970 »

Construction ship started work without a resource. You have to wait for a freighter to bring it to the constructor or cancel and try again.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

ANOTHER WAY CAN BE:

1) give order to your PRECIOUS building ship, that is still waiting for the cargo with the missing resources, to return to your base and build something else on another planet or whatever your wish or need.

2) design a slightly different Mining Station (or Gas Mining Station) with something more (or less) respect to your usual Mining Station (or Gas Mining Station) design.

3) give the order to the unfinished Mining Station (or Gas Mining Station) to REFIT to the new design above.

this way, the Mining Station will be anyway completed by itself when the cargo with the missing resources will reach the unfinished Mining Station, but your PRECIOUS building ship can do other very important things without to wait idle for months on the unfinished Mining Station.

Lieuallen

Post by Lieuallen »

Thanks for the help!

This seems like a frustrating bug to me. When I order the construction ship to build a certain structure, shouldn't the crew gather the proper resources? Why in the world did they leave for this mission without the needed supplies?!

I guess that's just the way the game works. But it's very frustrating that I have three mining stations that won't finish building. I've tried sending the construction ship back to the Star Port, hoping that they'd get their resources this time. But it didn't work -- when they got back to the mining station, they STILL didn't have the resources they needed!

Oh well -- on to bigger and better things. I've just finished researching the Gerax hyperdrive, so I'm off to nearby systems!
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

That is because the spaceport where they picked up supplied lacked the resource. So it is a consequence of a (small?) resource shortage.

When getting order to build a mine (or anything else), the construction ship heads to closest spaceport to get resources. Having lots of the resource on other locations won't help you in that case. Eventually some freighter will get the order to deliver missing supplies to the construction ship if left at it. The faster action if you have fixed your shortages, may be to scrap the unfinished mine and build a new one.

But since you sent the construction ship away, it is better just to scrap those mines in any case.
Lieuallen

RE: Need Resource -- but I have plenty!

Post by Lieuallen »

Thank you, but in this case your answer is wrong. I only have one space port, and it has all the resources needed.

I did, however, just discover another (related) problem -- my private sector is not building any ships. There are no freighters and no passenger ships (although I've built two resorts). I've looked through all the settings I can find, and see no reason for the lack of private ships. My private sector has quite a stockpile of money (I guess because they're not spending it on ships!), so I'm at a loss as to what the problem is.

I think I'll just start a new game....
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Well, there is a slim chance your mine design is too large for the constructor to fit all resources in cargo (custom designs?), or you are the first ever to have this issue. Keep in mind that what is needed is unreserved cargo at the spaceport at the time the constructor checks for availability (probably at the moment it picks up the order). At this time it will reserve the amounts so that noone else can pick them up.

In the pre warp era you are not likely to have a shortage unless you built a lot of ships, though, as you start with decent stockpiles. If you build a lot of stuff you probably have to mine some.

Lieuallen

Post by Lieuallen »

I didn't think of a lack of cargo space in the constructor, and I also didn't know about supplies being "reserved". But when I sent it back after construction stalled, shouldn't there have been some empty room (from the resources already used in construction)?

I'll give it a look. I am in the pre-warp era, by the way.

Thanks for the help!
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I would think that when you give an order to the constructor stuck in building, it loses its build order and the build is "lost". You could possibly "repair" it.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

I think you have to cancel the build by destroying it and start over. I don't remember clearly but I don't think a repair works. Repairing ships work because they're damaged but unbuilt things are not damaged. Again, hazy memories so feel free to prove me wrong.
stuart3

Post by stuart3 »

As long as essential components such as the reactor, cargo bays and docking bays have already been added then the mining station will, over time, receive building materials from visiting cargo ships. The mining station can then be ordered to retrofit itself to an upgraded version and will complete itself in the process using these building materials.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

in the above case the right answer is only one: REFIT (see please my above reply with the exact procedure's description).

I have always do that when I have had such a problem and I have always succesfully solved it - 100%

ps: see also the above Stuart3 reply that confirm what I say.

Return to “Tech Support”