Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Korea 50-53

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Korea 50-53 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/7/2018 8:15:27 AM   
cpt flam

before i would see if other reinforcement are not indicate in the same hex, this could delete them
not the best time for it

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 31
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/7/2018 11:14:26 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpt flam
before i would see if other reinforcement are not indicate in the same hex, this could delete them
not the best time for it

I hadn't thought of that. And I should check too, to see if other reinforcements are coming in
that hex and is it already stacked with 9 units, that kind of thing. Thanks for the heads up.
Thanks for posting.

fulkersonlarry60(at)gmail(dot)com

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 32
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/7/2018 11:34:01 AM   
John B.

Also, have you considered air missions to drop some of his bridges along the rail line? That makes his logistics ever worse. To the extent that the encircled ROK units far away are on bridges you might want them to blow the bridges as a last, great act of defiance.

Post #: 33
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/7/2018 1:32:47 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: John B.
Also, have you considered air missions to drop some of his bridges along the rail line? That makes his logistics ever worse. To the extent that the encircled ROK units far away are on bridges you might want them to blow the bridges as a last, great act of defiance.

I looked into that with the B-29's and thought maybe INT was more important but now that most of
the movement is over dropping bridges sounds like a great idea. Thanks for reminding me about it.
I'll have to drop some of the more important ones to make a difference I think. Mainly the rails.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 34
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/9/2018 1:07:46 PM   
larryfulkerson

Andy is almost through with his mop up operations. I'm waiting for his attacks to begin
in earnest. I'm about as ready as I can be I think. I'm going to do some B-29 attacks
on his bridges.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 35
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/9/2018 1:19:38 PM   
larryfulkerson

I looked through the expected reinforcements for the 11th Infantry and the 1st Arty
units but they weren't there so I'm guessing that the ROK units don't respawn so I've
taken them off the front lines for the most part and I've got the 1st ROK INF DIV
resting near Pusan so I can use it with confidence in the near future. There's not
much of it left so I'll use them as recon or garrison or an emergency reserve.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 36
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/9/2018 1:46:30 PM   
John B.

In my experience they do respawn. It may be that they don't show up on the reinforcement chart until sufficient items/squads are available to rebuild them.

Post #: 37
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/9/2018 1:47:12 PM   
larryfulkerson

I broke some of his bridges with two combat rounds worth of bridge strikes.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 38
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/9/2018 2:03:30 PM   
John B.

Looks good. He really must be at the end of his logistical tether!

Post #: 39
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/9/2018 2:06:36 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Looks good. He really must be at the end of his logistical tether!

All that bridge breaking CAN'T be good for his supply levels. On the other hand I'd
better have some engineer units in the mix or this might be a long war.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 40
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/9/2018 3:04:35 PM   
John B.

I think that some of your US units have engineer capability.

Post #: 41
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/9/2018 11:24:07 PM   
DanNeely

quote:

In my experience they do respawn. It may be that they don't show up on the reinforcement chart until sufficient items/squads are available to rebuild them.

I know that was the case in ACOW, and would presume it's still true.

Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 42
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/11/2018 4:22:44 PM   
larryfulkerson

I almost forgot to grab a screenshot of the situation now. I'm moving all the ROK's to the west to build a front line
across the country and THEN start moving north.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DanNeely)
Post #: 43
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/11/2018 11:44:38 PM   
larryfulkerson

I spent most of my turn moving the ROK's out west and I've gained a lot of territory
and didn't run into very many NK's so the going was easy.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 44
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/12/2018 1:31:38 AM   
MikeJ19

Larry,

Very interesting. I enjoy watching your games!

All the best,

Mike

Retired Gunner

Post #: 45
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/12/2018 12:15:41 PM   
John B.

The ROK seems to be in pretty good shape all things considered. If he's that stretched out perhaps now is the time for an invasion.

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 46
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/12/2018 2:28:29 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeJ19
Larry,

Very interesting. I enjoy watching your games!

All the best,

Thanks a lot for posting. Let's me know somebody is reading this thing. I do readily admit
however that I enjoy putting the AAR together. Makes me think about what I'm doing when I
play the game about what it "looks" like and how my readers will receive the news etc. I like
to post things that I think you guys might like to be in the loop about.

quote:

The ROK seems to be in pretty good shape all things considered. If he's that stretched out perhaps now is the time for an invasion.

Very observant of you to notice that I've given the ROK's time to refit and rest and as a result I
think they might really be combat worthy and I'm pushing them out west as a shakeout cruise kind of
thing where they won't be in the heat of things, can retreat if need be, and gain some real
estate at the same time. So far they are working out okie dokie. Most of the ROK divisions are
missing one or more regiments and / or their arty. One division is missing it's HQ. It'll spawn
sometime soon, I don't remember when right off the top of my head, but I know it's soon. One division
has a single regiment remaining of the division. No arty or engineers or recon or anything else, just
that one regiment so far.

The B-29' are coming in handy for unentrenching those large NKPA stacks. I guess that's part of what
the CS mission does. I've got everybody on CS except for the B-29's ( which are on INT missions )
because of the house rule about B-29's not being able to fly CS missions. I broke a lot of bridges
with them and I notice that none of the broken bridges are repaired yet. And I found at least 15
engineer units on my side ready to repair the heck out of those bridges if and when I get to them.

I'm trying to form a front line across the country and then advance northward clearing out the real
estate as I go. I toyed with the "finger advance" approach but there's only two main avenues leading
northward and I thought that was good enough for a two-fingered approach, following the main roads and
rails. That's the theory. Once I build a good pocket then I'll close it and mop up.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/12/2018 2:30:35 PM >

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 47
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/12/2018 4:22:43 PM   
John B.

The ROK does respawn pretty fast and they can be fine against the NKPA but be careful when you come up against the ChiComs!

Post #: 48
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/12/2018 10:43:15 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the supply situation in South Korea right now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 49
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/13/2018 10:40:59 PM   
larryfulkerson

I just now watched the playback and I think I must be mistaken but I think I saw NK
troops moving north. Maybe they have already started building a new MLR further north.
Maybe they were really moving south and we'll see them in the front lines soon.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 50
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/13/2018 10:45:04 PM   
John B.

He may be running away to avoid encirclement by invasion and to get his troops into better supply.

Post #: 51
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/13/2018 10:53:48 PM   
larryfulkerson

Andrey says his situation has collapsed when the bridges went down and the supply is non
existant down south and it's not fun anymore I suspect so we're stopping thing right here.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/13/2018 10:54:38 PM >

Post #: 52
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/13/2018 10:58:13 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

He may be running away to avoid encirclement by invasion and to get his troops into better supply.

Further communication with Andrey revealed that the supply situation is unacceptable down south
so I suspect he's going to leave a skeleton staff and pull everybody else north to better supply.
Which may be a long march. He and I have quit the game anyway so maybe we'll never know.

Post #: 53
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/14/2018 12:15:28 AM   
John B.

That is really a shame and it's not fun to play if you're just getting crushed. But, the NKPA is pretty much doomed to destruction anyway. I figure you use it to put the serious hurt on the South Koreans and as much of the UN forces as you can. Then, you bide your time and you get to have fun again when the Chinese communists come in because they are a fightin' machine.

Post #: 54
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/14/2018 12:23:38 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

That is really a shame and it's not fun to play if you're just getting crushed. But, the NKPA is pretty much doomed to destruction anyway. I figure you use it to put the serious hurt on the South Koreans and as much of the UN forces as you can. Then, you bide your time and you get to have fun again when the Chinese communists come in because they are a fightin' machine.

I like to play TOAW IV and I suspect that Andrey does too but playing a game because of obligation
when it's not fun just burns you out. I don't want to do that to Andrey because I've been in that
situation and it's not much fun.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 55
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/14/2018 12:09:37 PM   
John B.

Oh I meant no disrespect to Andrey I was simply commenting that there is more fun to come for the North Koreans if they want to hang in there.

Post #: 56
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/14/2018 1:41:45 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Oh I meant no disrespect to Andrey I was simply commenting that there is more fun to come for the North Koreans if they want to hang in there.

No disrespect was inferred my friend. It's all cool. I hope he's not got hurt feelings about how
the game turned out. It's not a fair scenario in that the UN troops have all kind of air power
and the NK dudes don't have B-29's and so it "feels" unbalanced when you try to play the NK side.
It takes more patience than I have to have fun after your supply situation collapses. Breaking
all those bridges devestated his supply I'm thinking. I would be tempted to leave South Korea
entirely. pull back to the north and better supply.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 57
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/14/2018 10:35:00 PM   
DanNeely

AFAIK the collapse in supply was historic and a big part of why the NKPA wasn't able to breach the Pusan perimeter. I haven't played this version of the scenario, but it definitely was the case in the older one that shipped with ACOW.

It it wasn't for better/worse than historic performance being able to shift the outcome in phase 3 of the war, I'd almost recommend a scenario that skipped the initial UN route, and the following NKPA route following Inchon; and then begin with the US getting close enough to the Yalu that China was making noises that sounded ominous to everybody but bugout doug.

Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius

Post #: 58
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/15/2018 5:12:38 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanNeely
AFAIK the collapse in supply was historic and a big part of why the NKPA wasn't able to breach the Pusan perimeter. I haven't played this version of the scenario, but it definitely was the case in the older one that shipped with ACOW.

It it wasn't for better/worse than historic performance being able to shift the outcome in phase 3 of the war, I'd almost recommend a scenario that skipped the initial UN route, and the following NKPA route following Inchon; and then begin with the US getting close enough to the Yalu that China was making noises that sounded ominous to everybody but bugout doug.

A scenario that starts with the Inchon landing sounds like fun for the Allies but the NKPA army
might not like their circumstances. Or maybe the scenario could abstract that for us, the part
that happend in the south, so the player can concentrate on getting ashore at Inchon and moving
north just to meet the Chinese.

Either way it's not a very fun scenario for the North Koreans.

(in reply to DanNeely)
Post #: 59
RE: Korea 50-53 - 3/15/2018 11:55:07 AM   
John B.

I actually enjoy being the NKPA. You get the bash on the South Koreans, take the 1-1000 shot that you get to Pusan and then wait for the Chinese counter attack. Korea is a good situation for gaming because each side gets time periods when it is on top of the world and can do no wrong. Much more fun than being france in 1940 or Russia in 1941 (hey, I only lost 2 million men this turn I am kicking a**).

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: Korea 50-53 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI