Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"Scraps of Paper - in a World on Fire" Scenario 127

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> "Scraps of Paper - in a World on Fire" Scenario 127 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"Scraps of Paper - in a World on Fire" Scenar... - 2/20/2018 1:09:44 AM   
Admiral DadMan

"Scraps of Paper - in a World on Fire"
[v1.5 SCEN files NOW UPLOADED in the attachment below]

In this mod/scenario, the Washington Naval Conference/Five-Power Treaty of 1922 and the succeeding naval conferences are only partially successful in limiting capital ships, but do lead to some tamping down of the naval arms race.

Mostly rooted in reality, with some flight of my own particular fancy, this scenario takes the DaBabes WitP:AE - By Symon mod/scenario and adds to it new ships for both sides.

Some quick notes:

The biggest feature is that the Allied Player can now choose whether or not the U.S. completes some of the Cleveland class cruisers' hulls as Independence class CVL's or finish them as CL's. There is also the ability to complete a few Baltimore heavy cruisers as Monterey (ex.-Saipan) class CVL's or finish them as CA's.

Some of the ships that historically went to the breakers appear in this game:
. -Japan's Tosa & Kii classes;
. -America's Constitution (ex.-Lexington) battlecruisers, and the 1920 version of battleship South Dakota;
. -Britain's proposed "G3" and "F2" class battlecruisers named Lion and Nelson respectively.

Japan for its part, can convert some of her merchant hulls to MAC (Merchant Aircraft Carrier) CVE's starting in late 1942 if needed. America can convert some of her tankers into Long Island type CVE's as well. Granted, America gets a TON of Kaiser-built CVE's 1944 and onward.

Some "concept designs" are also included, such as
. -the Japanese "Pokekurū" or pocket batttlecruiser of the Chichibu class;
. -America's answer to it in the Reliant class;
. -Rear Admiral Moffett's "flying-deck cruiser" or CLV/CAV (referred to as "CF" in this scenario) of the Ely and Chesapeake classes,
. -the original "quad turret" version of the North Carolina class battleships
. -and variant of the Brooklyn class with "quad turrets" as sub-class Phoenix cruisers.

Japan's CVL Ryujo evolves into a moderately (albeit scaled back) effective design. Six of her are built in place of other less viable conversions.

"Easter Eggs" are included:
. -a sister ship for HMS Ark Royal: HMS Bounty
. -USS Ranger, with her own unique history and the ability to re-build her into a more effective CV.
. -After the Great Kanto Earthquake destroys the original Amagi hull, the third Amagi class battlecruiser, Takao, is not scrapped, but is re-named Amagi and completed as a sister carrier to Akagi.

. -Any ship that is in the Ship Reinforcement que that has a II, III, or IV at the end of its name (e.g. "ex.-Oriskany II" or "Crown Point III") can be renamed while still in the Ship Reinforcement que and BEFORE IT ARRIVES. If you forget, you will be stuck with some weirdly named ships.

ALL files including files for the new ships can be found here: Scen127

A full treatise/backstory is posted below.

v1.5 NOW UPLOADED in the attachment below:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 7/21/2018 10:51:34 PM >

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper" -in a Wor... - 2/20/2018 10:17:55 AM   
btd64

Bravo Dad. Looking forward to it....GP

Intel i7 3.4GHz,8GB Ram,1920x1080 rez

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DW Series-Beta Tester
TotS-Alpha Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper" -in a Wor... - 2/21/2018 1:32:45 PM   
Admiral DadMan

Thank you. Still working out some things that I find as I re-look at certain areas, like US ship endurance which is way out of whack to both extremes.

No way can Brooklyn and Wichita classes make 14,500nm of endurance. Then I found this:

War Service Fuel Consumption of U.S. Naval Surface Vessels
quote:

1. WAR SERVICE FUEL CONSUMPTION OF U.S. NAVAL SURFACE VESSELS (FTP 218) is issued for the use and guidance of the Naval Service and is effective upon receipt. The distribution is in accordance with the hallowances prescribed in the Registered Publication Allowance Tables.

2. FTP 218 supersedes (a) FTP 136, and (b) "Fuel Oil Consumption Tables and Endurance Charts" which were issued tosubsequent to September 1943 to certain surface vessels. Holders are directed to destroy the above mentioned superseded material. No report of destruction is required.

3. FTP 218 is a confidential, non-registered publication which shall behandled, stowed and transported as prescribed by Article 76, U.S. Navy Regulations (1920) and the Registered Publication Manual.

4. This document contains information affecting the natinoal [sic] defense of the United States within tyhe [sic] meaning of the Espionage Act, 50 U.S.C., 31 and 32, as amended. Its transmission or the revelation of its contents in any manner to an unauthorized person is prohibited by law.

Probably one of the last things I am working out is how to deal with CV-4 USS Ranger (1934). I have the ability in place/programmed to bring her into the game from Norfolk (East Coast) on turn 1, but justifying it when
- CV-5 USS Yorktown (based on a proposed 24,700 ton design study for Yorktown) is available in Norfolk
- CV-7 USS Wasp (based on the historical 19,800 ton Yorktown design) is theoretically available,
- CV-1(a) USS Langley (re-built/modified Lexington CVB class) is due in 30 days, and
- CV-8 USS Hornet (19,800 ton Wasp class) is due in March/April.

Really on the fence with how to go. I like Ranger's back story, but logic says that Wasp would be the better choice to bring to the Pacific, and both carriers were in or near Norfolk (EC) in 7 Dec 41. The reason for keeping both of them in the Atlantic was that Yorktown was a better capable choice to send to the Pacific.

Yes, this is a lot of mental minutiae over one ship, but history is the flavor of this game, and because it's not less filling, I like it to taste good.

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 3/28/2018 2:22:14 PM >

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 3
Available for Public BETA: "Scraps of Paper" ... - 2/23/2018 10:03:54 PM   
Admiral DadMan

Well, here it is.

In the first post I have attached the SCEN files and backstory (which is EIGHT PAGES) for this scenario.

There is also 68MB of Ship Art that is too big for the forum, so I will have to figure out a way to give folks access to it.

About the only thing that I still have to finish is USN airgroup composition. I have been toying with a VSR (Scout/Recon) "FXX-XP" squadron replacing/augumenting the VS SBD/SB2C squadrons. I haven't quite mentally puzzled it out.

In the meantime, enjoy the inner workings of the last 20 years of my brain.

Scot.

**EDIT: The attachment below is also a copy of the backstory by itself, for convenience.

***DOCUMENT EDITED AND RE-UPLOADED on 22JUL18.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 7/22/2018 8:37:49 PM >

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 4
RE: Available for Public BETA: "Scraps of Paper&qu... - 2/24/2018 8:33:30 PM   
DOCUP

Admiral: Nice back story and mod. This looks like it would be a fun one to play.

I have seen two hicups so far. Concord class has 16 and 14 in guns. There is a USN CV without a name, I think it comes in on Apr 18 1946.

Post #: 5
RE: Available for Public BETA: "Scraps of Paper&qu... - 2/25/2018 2:58:34 AM   
Admiral DadMan

Thank you.

And thank you for picking off the goofs. "The Carrier Which Shall Not be Named" lol.
quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Admiral: Nice back story and mod. This looks like it would be a fun one to play.

I have seen two hicups so far. Concord class has 16 and 14 in guns. There is a USN CV without a name, I think it comes in on Apr 18 1946.

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 6
Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.12 - 3/13/2018 4:50:03 PM   
Admiral DadMan

Latest update now available. Still working on a way to host the ship art.

The probably final item that I am puzzling out is whether or not I want to re-configure US carrier air groups from VF/VS/VB/VT to VF/VSR/VB/VT, where VSR squadrons are 8 plane sections of -P models for scouting. So instead of:

27/18/18/15
it's
27/8/27/15.

It kinda throws the balance of power in mobile scouting.

To that end, I'm also debating if I should allow players to immediately be able to change the size of carrier air groups. Personally, I'd immediately bump my VF up to 45 at least, but that jumps the gun on doctrine by at least 2 years. On the other hand, it's not like players can't already to that by moving air groups around.

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 7
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.12 - 3/17/2018 12:44:44 AM   
DOCUP

Does this have your China changes? Have you thought about dropbox?

Post #: 8
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.12 - 3/17/2018 2:05:54 PM   
Admiral DadMan

I made no changes to China from the DaBabes scenario. The changes are 90% naval, with a few new aircraft to accomodate the "flying-deck cruisers".

I'm considering giving a look into dropbox.

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Does this have your China changes? Have you thought about dropbox?

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 9
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.12 - 3/27/2018 9:30:10 PM   
Admiral DadMan

The ART files for the new ships can be found here: SCEN127 ART

As well as in the Top Post.

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 10
Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 3/29/2018 6:34:54 PM   
Admiral DadMan

Updated today: See Post #1.

I have made a decision on the US Carrier Air group issue that is more or less historical, so that if the Allied player wants to make a US CV into a fighter carrier, multiple VF must be used before Jan 45. This required some heavy duty mentating due to the differing capacities of the pre-war CV's and the Lexington/Ranger re-builds.

Outside of any boo-boos, I think it's nearly gold.

Comments welcome.

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 3/29/2018 6:35:16 PM >

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 11
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 3/29/2018 10:26:15 PM   
ny59giants_MatrixForum

CV Ranger - I would keep her in Atlantic until Jan '43. Reasoning being she was needed for Torch. See comes into Pacific to be the flagship for all the CVEs coming out since she is too slow to keep up with the Yorktown's.

Post #: 12
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 3/29/2018 11:56:44 PM   
Admiral DadMan

Indeed. The lack of top end speed does not translate well in to AE game terms as regards to how it affected flight operations. Her real deficit is a nearly complete lack of protection.

What I've decided is that with the the USN having a half dozen CF's (aka CLV's) in theater, that I want to keep some balance as regards to them vis-a-vis the IJN Ryujo CVL's, as well as the USS Langley (ex.-United States) CVB rebuild. And I like Ranger's unique history.

She shouldn't be employed on the front line unless you're desperate. She can be pulled off-line for a re-build in October '42, which could also be in parallel with Torch employment.

So I've opted for this:
CVL Ranger on 7 Dec in Norfolk
CVB Langley at Bremerton in Jan42
CV Yorktown in March42
CV Wasp in June42
CV Hornet in July 42

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants_MatrixForum
CV Ranger - I would keep her in Atlantic until Jan '43. Reasoning being she was needed for Torch. See comes into Pacific to be the flagship for all the CVEs coming out since she is too slow to keep up with the Yorktown's.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan
Probably one of the last things I am working out is how to deal with CV-4 USS Ranger (1934). I have the ability in place/programmed to bring her into the game from Norfolk (East Coast) on turn 1, but justifying it when
- CV-5 USS Yorktown (based on a 24,700 ton design study for Yorktown) is available in Norfolk
- CV-7 USS Wasp (based on the historical 19,800 ton Yorktown design) is theoretically available,
- CV-1(a) USS Langley (re-built/modified Lexington CVB class) is due in 30 days, and
- CV-8 USS Hornet (19,800 ton Wasp class) is due in July 42.

Really on the fence with how to go. I like Ranger's back story, but logic says that Wasp would be the better choice to bring to the Pacific, and both carriers were in or near Norfolk (EC) in 7 Dec 41. The reason for keeping both of them in the Atlantic was that Yorktown was a better capable choice to send to the Pacific.

Yes, this is a lot of mental minutiae over one ship, but history is the flavor of this game, and because it's not less filling, I like it to taste good.

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to ny59giants_MatrixForum)
Post #: 13
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 4/9/2018 10:54:03 PM   
Admiral DadMan

Working on correcting a weapons loadout issue. Apparently, TBD Devastators (and TBF Avengers) can carry a torpedo AND a 1000lb SAP bomb for naval attacks. I think I have a solution for it however...

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 14
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 4/9/2018 11:19:39 PM   
btd64

Dad, don't you mean a torpedo OR a 1000lb bomb?....GP

AKA General Patton

DW Series-Beta Tester
TotS-Alpha Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

Post #: 15
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 4/9/2018 11:51:55 PM   
Admiral DadMan

Nope BOTH.

I was fooling around testing something else when I noticed that Devastators were dropping both weapons on the same attack , even though I took care to properly segment the weapons in to proper slots and filter them.

quote:

9 x TBD-1 Devastator launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 22.5in Mk13 AerTorp, 1 x 1000 lb GP Bomb

What I was intending was for VT's to be able to carry 1000lb bombs as an alternate loadout (i.e. when no torps were available) instead of defaulting to the single 500lb bomb (or 2 in the case of the Avenger) as specified for Extended range loadouts.

Either cannot program effectively or, as I'm beginning to suspect, the filter are not working properly (at least not #4.

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

Dad, don't you mean a torpedo OR a 1000lb bomb?....GP

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 16
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 4/10/2018 12:37:14 AM   
btd64

I've seen the avenger up close. It doesn't have the hard points for both at the same time. Unless the bomb or the torpedo hangs on the outside of the bomb bay doors. It can carry up to 2000lbs, or torpedo in the internal bomb bay or 4 500 or 12 100lb bombs in the bomb bay. This info is from some older notes I have and I believe it to be true. It could also mount 5" rockets....GP

AKA General Patton

DW Series-Beta Tester
TotS-Alpha Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

Post #: 17
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 4/10/2018 12:54:16 AM   
Admiral DadMan

Exactly.

I don't WANT them to carry both at the same time. What I intend is if the group is set to Naval Attack, and there are NO torpedoes available for the planes to carry a 1000lb bomb. What is happening is that when there ARE torpedoes available, the planes are carrying BOTH.

I have to think that I have something not defined correctly.

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

I've seen the avenger up close. It doesn't have the hard points for both at the same time. Unless the bomb or the torpedo hangs on the outside of the bomb bay doors. It can carry up to 2000lbs, or torpedo in the internal bomb bay or 4 500 or 12 100lb bombs in the bomb bay. This info is from some older notes I have and I believe it to be true. It could also mount 5" rockets....GP

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 18
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 4/10/2018 12:59:58 AM   
btd64

Ok. I must have misunderstood what you said. Sorry about that....GP

AKA General Patton

DW Series-Beta Tester
TotS-Alpha Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

Post #: 19
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 4/10/2018 10:38:43 PM   
Admiral DadMan

No problem. Can't seem to puzzle out where it's going wrong, or if I am.

I've got Airfield, Port, Ground, ASW, and City working just fine.

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 4/10/2018 10:39:45 PM >

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 20
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 4/10/2018 10:41:06 PM   
RyanCrierie

There is also 68MB of Ship Art that is too big for the forum, so I will have to figure out a way to give folks access to it.

I can provide hosting. Just PM me, but it may take a bit to get back to you on this as I'm very busy lately.

Post #: 21
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 4/11/2018 5:37:00 PM   
Admiral DadMan

Thank you Ryan.

I opened a dropbox account.

quote:

ORIGINAL: RyanCrierie

I can provide hosting. Just PM me, but it may take a bit to get back to you on this as I'm very busy lately.

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to RyanCrierie)
Post #: 22
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 4/11/2018 5:56:03 PM   
Admiral DadMan

So it seems that I created an issue modding torpedo bomber loadouts to specify alternate ordinance for Naval Attack missions. I read the following threads:

Aircraft Loads

Mark 17 Depth Charge

I am experiencing the "torpedo bomber naval attack double weapon loadout" issue described earlier in this thread: Post #1

To test the issue, I set Lexington and Enterprise in separate TFs in the same hex. Enterprise carries torpedoes, Lexington does not in order to test what happens when no torps are available here is what I get:

Lexington:
6 Hexes/Naval Attack/Use Torpedos/10000ft
*12 x TBD-1 Devastator bombing from 10000 feet * Naval Attack: 1 x 250 lb SAP Bomb, 1 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

6 Hexes/Naval Attack/Use Bombs/10000ft
*10 x TBD-1 Devastator bombing from 10000 feet * Naval Attack: 1 x 250 lb SAP Bomb, 1 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

3 Hexes/Naval Attack/Use Torpedos/10000ft
*9 x TBD-1 Devastator bombing from 10000 feet Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb

3 Hexes/Naval Attack/Use Bombs/10000ft
*8 x TBD-1 Devastator bombing from 10000 feet Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb

Enterprise:
6 Hexes/Naval Attack/Use Torpedos/10000ft
*14 x TBD-1 Devastator bombing from 10000 feet * Naval Attack: 1 x 250 lb SAP Bomb, 1 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

6 Hexes/Naval Attack/Use Bombs/10000ft
*11 x TBD-1 Devastator bombing from 10000 feet * Naval Attack: 1 x 250 lb SAP Bomb, 1 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

3 Hexes/Naval Attack/Use Torpedos/10000ft
*9 x TBD-1 Devastator launching torpedoes at 200 feet Naval Attack: 1 x 22.5in Mk13 AerTorp, 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb

3 Hexes/Naval Attack/Use Bombs/10000ft
*11 x TBD-1 Devastator bombing from 10000 feet Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb

Even looking at "Alt Device"/"Alt Use" settings here "ALT USE" device data field didn't alleviate the problem.

I have been forced to allow the underlying code to auto select the *n (alt_nav) ordinance.

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 23
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 4/15/2018 11:14:49 PM   
Admiral DadMan

So the above issue is created by a hard-coded torpedo replacement algorithm that creates anomalies if you attempt to override it. I've elected to leave well enough alone and revert to standard loadouts.

Additionally, I've been re-thinking the Yorktown/Enterprise and Wasp/Hornet genesis.

In the current timeline, Yorktown/Enterprise (24,700 tons each) and Wasp (19,900 tons) are derived from having 69,300 tons left available for carrier building. It was initially interesting to be able to design/implement the larger Yorktown concept, but I'm now finding myself considering reverting to the 19,900 Yorktowns and allowing both Wasp and Hornet to be built earlier as a 14,500 Wasp class, giving the USN 4 carriers under treaty instead of 3.

It has me re-thinking the current timelines of arrival for most of the US carriers:

CVB-Langley -(Jan42)
CV-Lexington -(In theater)
CV-Saratoga -(San Diego)
CVL-Ranger -(Norfolk)
CV-Yorktown -(Mar42)
CV-Enterprise -(In theater)
CV-Wasp -(June42)
CV-Hornet -(July42)

Move to:
CVB-Langley -(Jun42 fitting out after re-construction)
CVB-Saratoga -(Dec42 being re-constructed)
CVL-Ranger -(Norfolk)
CV-Yorktown -(San Diego)
CVL-Wasp -(Jan42)
CVL-Hornet -(Mar42)

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 4/16/2018 2:20:27 AM >

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 24
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 4/16/2018 5:01:47 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

So the above issue is created by a hard-coded torpedo replacement algorithm that creates anomalies if you attempt to override it. I've elected to leave well enough alone and revert to standard loadouts.

I think all of us have fallen victim to that particular piece of code during our modding attempts.

Pax

Post #: 25
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 4/18/2018 1:07:52 AM   
Admiral DadMan

So I was talking with Alfred and Big B about this, and we were all struggling to sort this.

Then about 45 minutes ago, I had a thought...

What if I changed the aircraft type from "Torpedo Bomber" to "Level Bomber"

BINGO!!! Works like a charm. All weapons available in their intended modes. AND I play-tested this solution to make sure it worked.

BRILLIANT!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

I think all of us have fallen victim to that particular piece of code during our modding attempts.

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 4/18/2018 2:15:48 AM >

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 26
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 4/18/2018 3:19:01 AM   
Alfred

The game hard codes centreline to be a single hardpoint.  This creates some initial unexpected results for torpedo bombers who have the option to carry either a centreline torpedo or a centreline drop tank.  The hard coding means though the database shows both are possible, only one device can in fact be carried and that one is dependent on the player's choice of mission and range.  Checking the actual ordnance carried for the assigned mission shows exactly what will be carried.

Modders can either elect to have an aircraft which lacks drop tanks or elect to carry the 02 filter device (and by definition the 04 filter device) either as an internal or external device.  To have it centreline seems to override the hardcoded either/or limitation.

Alfred

Post #: 27
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 4/18/2018 12:33:34 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

The game hard codes centreline to be a single hardpoint.  This creates some initial unexpected results for torpedo bombers who have the option to carry either a centreline torpedo or a centreline drop tank.  The hard coding means though the database shows both are possible, only one device can in fact be carried and that one is dependent on the player's choice of mission and range.  Checking the actual ordnance carried for the assigned mission shows exactly what will be carried.

Modders can either elect to have an aircraft which lacks drop tanks or elect to carry the 02 filter device (and by definition the 04 filter device) either as an internal or external device.  To have it centreline seems to override the hardcoded either/or limitation.

Alfred

In my testing, I based my work on what you've stated above. In this instance, I was using the USN's TBD-1 Devastator torpedo plane. This aircraft carries its ordinance Centerline, but does not use a drop tank.

In widely various permutations and conditions, I did not find that the weapons' facing ("Centerline" vs "Internal" vs "External") in any combination made any difference to the filters working properly when having a torpedo on a torpedo bomber, in that undesired/unexpected results were produced in every weapon facing and combination thereof that I used that involved a torpedo on a torpedo bomber.

When I took the torpedo off the torpedo bomber, I could get the results I desired and expected.

That being said, once I changed the "Type" setting from "Torpedo Bomber" to "Level Bomber", I got the desired and expected results when a torpedo was involved regardless of weapons' type or facing.

One caveat: I did not test this solution with drop tanks; that will require further exploration. The USN's TBF Avenger series carries its ordinance Internal and its drop tanks External. It had the same problem that the TBD's did when I first encountered this problem.

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 4/18/2018 12:37:16 PM >

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 28
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 4/18/2018 6:09:11 PM   
Admiral DadMan

And then just as easy as that, I somehow stuffed up the works, and now cannot replicate yesterday's results. So, I begin again...

In other news, I have come to a decision on how US carriers will evolve and arrive.

US Carrier Air Group Sizes and Carrier Capacities
Each carrier (and the squadrons on that ship) will be limited in capacity at the start, and will grow during the first six months so as to more historically reflect how the US grew their airgroups over time as operational doctrine changed. Air group sizes will also morph in size as doctrine dictates and technology (folding wings) allows.

Carrier Capacity:
Dec41 -69
Jan42 -72
Mar42 -78
July42 -88
Mar43 -90

US Carrier Design Evolution
I decided to get off the fantasy carousel with the nearly Essex-sized 24,700 ton Yorktown class, which is really unfortunate because I really liked the art that I created for them:

They will revert to their original 19,900 ton design. They felt a little too game-breaking with near-Essex-size and nearly 100 aircraft.

Reverting to the historical Yorktown and Enterprise freed up treaty tonnage for two 14,700 ton Wasp designs (Wasp, Hornet). Having two carriers available to be built under treaty in turn helps to the story line of the rebuild of the former battlecruiser-turned-training carrier AG United States into CVB Langley, which provides the template for the ability of future rebuilds of the Lexington class. Building smaller carriers also lends more credibility to the CLV/CF building program as well.

Historically, while Wasp was well along on the building ways, consideration was given to upgrade her powerplant to increase her speed from barely 29 knots to well over 32 knots. It was rejected for her (and Ranger) due to the exorbitant cost which was also politically indefensible. In game, the upgraded power plant is incorporated early into the plans for Hornet at minimal cost, but Wasp must come back to the shipyard for 4-5 months to have the work done at a time of the player's choosing.

US Carrier Deployment

CVB-Langley -(Apr42 fitting out after re-construction)
CV-Saratoga -(San Diego fitting out)
CVL-Ranger -(Norfolk)
CV-Yorktown -(Norfolk)
CVL-Wasp -(June42)
CV-Hornet -(June42)

The early availability of Ranger will offset Japan having 2 additional Ryujo class CVL's at the start of the game (and lets me add some historical flavor. I like my history tasty). Langley arrives where Hornet historically did in April 1942, and Hornet arrives with Wasp in June 1942.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 4/20/2018 10:18:37 PM >

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 29
RE: Available BETA: "Scraps of Paper" v0.2 - 4/20/2018 9:12:59 PM   
Admiral DadMan

Ok, I THINK I have the torpedo replacement issue solved:

Attachment (1)

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> "Scraps of Paper - in a World on Fire" Scenario 127 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI