First PC wargame you played seriously

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Lord Baldy

First PC wargame you played seriously

Post by Lord Baldy »

Hi, first post so thought I'd start with the obvious, what game would you regard as being your first "proper" wargame.

Mine would be 'Arnhem - The Market Garden Operation', by CCS on the good old ZX Speccy, I may have played a few older wargames on that machine with UDG graphics, but this one actually looked pretty decent and was the first wargame I put any serious time into, playing with friends was a good experience as well.

I've played the Dos version in DosBox quite recently but it doesn't have the magic of Sir Clive's rubber keyed box of brilliance.

So ummm, that's that then...
Witty signature required, please apply within...
berto

RE: First PC wargame you played seriously

Post by berto »

PC wargame? John Tiller (Talonsoft) Battleground Series of American Civil War games, c. late 1990s.

Board wargame? AH Gettysburg, c. 1962.

With so very many in between, and ever since.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I have no idea which came first but right about the same time....

Pacwar
War in Russia
Western Front

Whichever came out first is the first one I played
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: Lord Baldy

Hi, first post so thought I'd start with the obvious, what game would you regard as being your first "proper" wargame.

Mine would be 'Arnhem - The Market Garden Operation', by CCS on the good old ZX Speccy, I may have played a few older wargames on that machine with UDG graphics, but this one actually looked pretty decent and was the first wargame I put any serious time into, playing with friends was a good experience as well.

I've played the Dos version in DosBox quite recently but it doesn't have the magic of Sir Clive's rubber keyed box of brilliance.

So ummm, that's that then...

is there any better?

still got mine boxed in the loft, rubber key one and also a 128k with micro drive version all with boxed games, nobody ever offered me enough so kept it, welcome to the forum, can tell your going to be a good member as you have great tastes
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

SSI's Battlecruiser on the Apple II. Loved the WWI naval actions. Bought SSI's Napoleon's Battles shortly thereafter.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Capitaine

SSI's Battlecruiser on the Apple II. Loved the WWI naval actions. Bought SSI's Napoleon's Battles shortly thereafter.
The British BCs had a 50% chance of blowing up after a hit, at least in the Atari 800 version. I lost the Falklands after both Invincible and Inflexible exploded. [:D]
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

I LOVED that game. And his other one, Operation Vulcan. It's my favourite Speecy game after (before?) Doomdark's Revenge...oh, and Atic Attack.
Played it over and over.
It was my first PC wargame (if one has a generous defintion of PC). I still have my old Speccy up in the attic
and a box full of cassettes of the old BASIC games I wrote and copied from magazines.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

386 SX

rich git, i started off on a 286SX and from there only went to a 486DX-50 when i started work, had me first HDD with this, and extra ram, and can still remember the price as it was £50 per 4mb sticks and i went all out and had 2 lol

10mb HDD was my first and 2nd was a 100mb
Diamond Stealth 24 VLB S3-805 with 1MB of RAM
Sound Blaster Pro 1.0 sound card
plus a Voodoo graphics card addon
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Many years ago on an Apple IIC I had a Gettysburg game that for the time was actually quite good. I don't remember the company that made it. This was at a time when there were plenty of software stores all over the place. Still finding a game for an apple wasn't all that easy.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

I LOVED that game. And his other one, Operation Vulcan. It's my favourite Speecy game after (before?) Doomdark's Revenge...oh, and Atic Attack.
Played it over and over.
It was my first PC wargame (if one has a generous defintion of PC). I still have my old Speccy up in the attic
and a box full of cassettes of the old BASIC games I wrote and copied from magazines.

lol, same, only sometimes with a print error in the mag, the week of typing it all in and it didn't run, so you have to wait for the next months mag to get the fix and re do the typo and fix, my spectrum war game collection is almost complete, wrote by R. T. Smith's who has just released Oriental Empires on steam, i was a alpha and beta tester for him, and would have loved him to do a update to the game, but alas there is no money in it for him,

Code: Select all

http://store.steampowered.com/app/357310
Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

Steel Panthers iirc
UP844

Post by UP844 »

B-1, Midway, Bismarck, Tsushima and another game about nuclear war (I do not remember its title), all of them from Avalon Hill on a Commodore '64, back in the mid-80's.
Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

PC wargame was Panzer General and moved on too Steel Panthers and I'm still playing SP...

First Real wargame was Avalon Hill's Tobruk in 1977... [8D]
Rod T DeMore
mbishop

Post by mbishop »

Computer Bismarck, Midway, NATO86, Cosmic Balance I & II, early 80's,for Apple IIE
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Desert Rats on Zx Spectrum [&o]
Former AJE team member
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Franciscus

Desert Rats on Zx Spectrum [&o]
warspite1

Moi aussi
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Well mine was Gary Grigsby's Warship...
http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=9843&d=18

Those type of games aren't easy to find though, mine were pc version on 3.5 floppy disks.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Crusade in Europe about 1986 on Amstrad version of PC.

decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Lord Baldy

Hi, first post so thought I'd start with the obvious, what game would you regard as being your first "proper" wargame...

Uncommon Valor
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

Return to “General Discussion”