Desert War: Game In Play - Into The Blue

Timian

Post by Timian »

Timian: This is the second time Mike (MikeGreen) and I have played this scenario. The first time, some nine months ago, was just before Matrix started Desert War Beta Testing. Mike played the Commonwealth and I played the Italians. We managed to play about six turns before having to stop for Brian to do some development work.

I found the initial Italian move restrictions to be challenging/frustrating; but historical. However, the Italians have a great deal of combat power vicinity Sofafi, Buqbuq, and Sidi Barrani plus Halfaya Pass. So an Italian counterpunch – starting on Day 2 or early on Day 3 – if massed versus one or two points, can really hurt the Commonwealth.

This time around, I’m the Commonwealth and Mike is the Italians.

MISSION: Conduct a five-day raid destroying the Italian Camps of the 10th Army vicinity Sidi Barrani, Nibeiwa, Tummar, and El Maktila.

Attachments
IntotheBlue_Splash.jpg
IntotheBlue_Splash.jpg (119.82 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
Timian

Post by Timian »

2nd Post

ENEMY: See screen shot below of the Italian Camps East of Halfaya Pass.

Attachments
Italian_Camps2.jpg
Italian_Camps2.jpg (171.04 KiB) Viewed 3597 times
Timian

Post by Timian »

3rd Post

TERRAIN: An escarpment runs from Sollum/Halfaya Pass South and East to Bir Enba bisected by four cuts or ravines next to the coast, Halfaya Pass, Sofafi, and just west of Bir Enba. This escarpment essentially divides the Italian 10th Army.

TROOPS: The Commonwealth has the 7th Armored Division and the 4th Indian Division + Selby Force (a brigade-sized organization). Selby has one Troop of Cruiser or A-13 Tanks attached plus a Battery of 25 lbs, and the 11th Indian Brigade has three Troops of Matildas. 7th Armored has the 7th Support Group (no Tanks) plus the 4th and 7th Armor Brigades. 4th Armor Brigade (no Infantry) has five Troops of A-13s and one full Battalion of A-13s. 7th Armor Brigade (no Infantry) has two Battalions of Vickers Light Mk-VI Tanks, armed with a Vickers Machine Gun, and one Battalion of A-13s. All the Brigades, both in the 4th Indian Division and 7th Armored Division, have at least two Batteries of Artillery (mostly 25 lbs). Of note, the 11th Indian Brigade only has two 25 lbs Batteries. The remaining Brigades of 4th Indian Division have a full Battalion of 25 lbs. Within the 7th Armored Division, the 7th Support Brigade has three 25 lb Batteries, the 4th Armored Brigade has one Battalion of 4.5” Guns, and the 7th Armored Brigade has one Battalion of 25 lbs and one Battalion of 5.5” Guns. Only the 11th Indian Brigade an Selby have the mix of organic Infantry and Armor for Combined Arms Effect. The 7th Armored, even though it has Mk-VIs, has a great deal of fire power – when fully supplied – with its two Artillery Battalions.

Attachments
Commonwealth_OB.jpg
Commonwealth_OB.jpg (162.22 KiB) Viewed 3593 times
Timian

Post by Timian »

4th Post

TIME: The Italians are completely surprised by Operation Compass and thus can’t react for the first three turns; provided the Commonwealth doesn’t move adjacent. While one would tend to want to attack two or three Italian Camps on the first turn, thus maximizing Operation Compass’ surprise, I feel it’s best to maneuver Selby and the 5th Indian Brigade into the rear of the Italian Camps near El Maktila and Tummar West, getting their Artillery laid, and then attacking on Game Turn 2. The 11th Indian Brigade – in part because it’s Artillery starts in range of the Italian Camp near Nibeiwa – is the only Brigade I have physically attacking on Turn One.

Attachments
OperationCompass.jpg
OperationCompass.jpg (63.15 KiB) Viewed 3593 times
Timian

Post by Timian »

5th Post

My overall initial scheme of maneuver is somewhat like Operation Compass, with

o 7th Support Group blocking the Eastern end of the Escarpment;
o 11th Indian Brigade, 5th Indian Brigade, and Selby Force all attacking (from the rear) the Italian Camps, respectfully, near Nibeiwa, Tummar West, an El Maktila;
o 7th Armor Brigade moving to seize Buq Buq (on the Coast); and
o 16th Indian Brigade moving behind Selby towards Sidi Barrani.

4th Armor Brigade is my Reserve initially just East of 7th Support Group.

Per the Scenario Order of Battle, the 7th Indian Brigade is “FIXED” to the East – until the start of Turn 8 – vicinity the 3rd and 4th Supply Depots and the Western Desert Force Headquarters.

Attachments
Commonweal..ocations.jpg
Commonweal..ocations.jpg (171.43 KiB) Viewed 3592 times
MikeGreen

RE: Desert War: Game In Play - Into The Blue

Post by MikeGreen »

Greene: Commander of Italian Forces

The Italians are completely surprised by Operation Compass and are “FIXED” for the first three turns or until a Commonwealth Unit moves adjacent. Some Italian Units are dispersed in different Camps – a few at great distance (Command and Control-wise) – from their parent Headquarters and/or Sister Units.

Attachments
IT_Loc.jpg
IT_Loc.jpg (180.22 KiB) Viewed 3592 times
MikeGreen

Post by MikeGreen »

Since all Italian Units are “FIXED”, my goal is to try to maintain supply lines, especially to Tobruk, and hopefully weather the storm.

The Italian Organization is:

Attachments
IT_Org.jpg
IT_Org.jpg (190.47 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
Timian

Post by Timian »

Post #8

Turn One / 9 Dec 1940 / 0600: With one exception, all went as planned.

The 11th Indian Brigade was successful in Overrunning*, with three Matilda Companies and one Battalion of Infantry, the Italian Units in the Northwestern most hex of the Camp near Alam Nabeiwa. The Maletti Group is now Surrounded / Out of Supply (OOS).

* For this attack, with three Matilda Companies, I used the 3xOdds Shift “Tank Fright” Command option.

Selby Force moved into position Surrounding the Italian Camp just West of El Maktila (also now OOS).

My planned move for the 5th Indian Brigade was a bit sloppy. One turn too early, I allow the lead of the Brigade to move adjacent to the Italians in the Southwestern most hex of Camp Tummar. The 5th Indian’s forward most Units were Surprised (“Ambushed” per the game), but took very few casualties as compared to what they inflicted on the Italians.

Attachments
Commonweal..ofGT1.jpg
Commonweal..ofGT1.jpg (178.08 KiB) Viewed 3592 times
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

This is looking and sounding great.
A Sharif
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

Thanks for the AAR. I have high hopes for this game.

War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
MikeGreen

Post by MikeGreen »

Italians had nothing to do this turn. No air or recon assets are available. All units are Fixed in place. We must weather the storm.
Benedict151

Post by Benedict151 »

Thanks guys, I'm enjoying this

Interested to see what happens when the Italians get "released"
Timian

Post by Timian »

Post #9

Turn Two / 9 Dec 1940 / 1200: With the Italians “FIXED” through the end of Turn Three, the Commonwealth continue their attack:

o The 11th Indian Brigade and their Matildas Attacked* a second hex in the Maletti Group’s Camp;
o Selby Force – with their Company of A-13s and Naval Gunfire Support – struck the Rear most hex of 1st Libyan Division’s Camp;
o 11th Indian Brigade (one turn delayed) moved into its Attack Position to (on Turn 3) Attack the two Northwestern most hexes of Camp Tummar; and
o The 7th Armored Brigade moved out of March Column and readied to begin its push on Buqbuq.

* This time, for the 11th Indian Attack, I used the 2xOdds Shift “Main Effort” Command option.

So far, very light casualties for the Commonwealth.

Attachments
Commonweal..lts GT 2.jpg
Commonweal..lts GT 2.jpg (168.64 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
MikeGreen

Post by MikeGreen »

Again no air or recon available. I was able to to use Defensive Fire to try and blunt Allied attacks. It was rather unsuccessful.
Timian

Post by Timian »

Post #11

Turn Three / 9 Dec 1940 / 1800: Scenario's first Night Turn. If I stop and "Rest", my units can recover Readiness at twice the (normal) Readiness Recovery Rate. However, given the Italians are “FIXED” only through the end of this turn, I’ve decided to press forward with four Night Attacks--no “Rest” for Shelby Force, the 5th Indian Brigade, the 11th Indian Brigade, nor the 7th Armored Brigade:

o The 7th Armored Brigade, led by it’s A-13 Battalion, Attacks towards Buqbuq;
o Both 11th Indian Brigade and Selby Force* continue their Assaults (respectfully) vs. the Maletti Group and the 1st Libyan Division; and
o Attacking two hexes, the 5th Indian Brigade begins it’s Attack on Camp Tammur.

* In an effort to drive home Selby’s Attack, I used the 2xOdds Shift “O'Connor Forward” Command option + Royal Navy Gunfire.

Commonwealth casualties still light.

Attachments
Commonweal..ltsGT3.jpg
Commonweal..ltsGT3.jpg (174.63 KiB) Viewed 3593 times
MikeGreen

Post by MikeGreen »

Cw artillery and cutting supplies is making it difficult to get into better defensive positions. My defensive art is providing a little relief. Only units with adjacent CW units are able to move still.

FYI we are posting AARs several turns after the ones shown. Thus, we can both collaborate on giving a report without divulging timely information on the current battle.
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

Enjoying the AAR.

Can you outline how unit loss/ casualties are reflected? In older games this usually meant "step losses". In newer games such as WITW it's actually figures and accompanying features such as morale and readiness or exhaustion.

Also is there an air vs air and navy vs navy element or are they simply reflected as parts of the ground combat?
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: nicwb

Enjoying the AAR.

Can you outline how unit loss/ casualties are reflected? In older games this usually meant "step losses". In newer games such as WITW it's actually figures and accompanying features such as morale and readiness or exhaustion.

Also is there an air vs air and navy vs navy element or are they simply reflected as parts of the ground combat?
Hi,

There's no steps, and actual figures: so no 21st Panzer of 134 tanks, 3435 squads, and 34334 toothbrushes [:D].
So it uses percentages for Strength and Readiness.
The unit Attack / Defense are abstracted numbers so in the counters above you see units with e.g. 4-12-8 means attack of 4, defense of 12 and movement of 8, so an old school wargame in that regard.
Strenght losses are permanent and if a unit has 50% of its max value, it's attack is halved.
Readiness is non-linear, so 0% readiness (and 100% strenght), Attacks will have 66% of its max value.
However, in battle, losses are taken firstly from readiness (which recovers) and then from Strength, so if a unit has high
readiness, it might take no losses to Strength. If it has low Readiness, then it'll take a lot of damage to Strength. So therefore Readiness is meant to simulate men and vehicles temporarily out of action, due to being in the shop or just exhausted. I.e. push your units too hard and they'll be permanently damaged.

There is no navy vs navy combat.
For Air units, fighters are abstracted away (into an overall air supermacy value). Air units and Special Forces can however conduct Counter-Air operations which involves attacking enemy airfields. This results in increased friendly AA values for ground units. Counter-Air also can reduce enemy interdiction (interdiction reduces HQ's Lines of Communication and incoming supply).

Cheers,
Brian
Timian

Post by Timian »

Post #13

Turn Four / 10 Dec 1940 / 0600: Day Two of Operation Compass. Now that the Italians are no longer “FIXED”, time to review the Commonwealth’s Logistics Status, Air, and Naval Gunfire status + the Disposition/Plan of Action for O'Connor’s Ground Forces.

Fuel = 239 and Ammunition = 109 (the Commonwealth Started with 120).

Have been receiving approx. 20 Ammo Points per Turn and the same for Fuel. During Turns One through Three, when I Moved or Attacked with the Commonwealth Brigades I used “Combat+” versus “Move+” or “Basic” Supply. My Reserve (4th Armored Brigade) and 7th Armored Division “Dummy Brigade” I kept in “Basic” Supply.

Air: The Commonwealth has three Blenheim Bomber Squadrons, two Hurricane Fighter Squadrons, and two Gladiator Fighter Squadron. As well as two Lysander Reconnaissance Squadrons. To ensure I always have Air Power available to Support O’Connor’s Ground Forces, I’ve elected to “Platoon” the Royal Air Force.

“1st Platoon”: Two Hurricane, one Blenheim, and one Lysander Squadron

“2nd Platoon”: One Gladiator, two Blenheim, and one Lysander Squadron

With “1st Platoon” only flying during the odd numbered Turns and “2nd Platoon” only flying during the even Turns.

The remaining Gladiator Squadron I use as a “Float” between the two Platoons, but I try to only fly it every other Turn.

On Day One of Compass, I used the Bombers to provide Close Air Support, the Fighters to Interdict the Italian’s Supply Convoys + Reduce the Command and Control (C2) Range of the Italian Headquarters, and Recce to keep an eye on the Italian Troops vicinity Sollum.

Will take a risk and do same during day two; not flying any Counter Air Missions.

Naval Gunfire: Have been using a similar “Platooning-system” for the Royal Navy. Having two Ships each turn provide Naval Gunfire, mostly in Support of Shelby Force.

Attachments
Commonweal..etsGT4.jpg
Commonweal..etsGT4.jpg (149.14 KiB) Viewed 3593 times
Timian

Post by Timian »

Post #14

As expected, will need a Second Day of Offensive Operations to complete the Destruction of the Maletti Group and the 1st Libyan Division.

With both only having Attacked during Turn 3, will have 7th Armored Brigade continue its Attack towards Buqbuq and 5th Indian Brigade its Assault verse Camp Tummar.

During Turn 3, using “Move+” Supply, I pushed the 16th Indian Brigade forward to protect the Left Flank of Selby Force from a possible Counterattack out of Sollum. During Turn 4, using “Combat+” Supply, I’ll continue to move the 16th Indian into Position.

7th Support Group: Very likely Mike will Attack from both the North and the South to re-open the Escarpment’s Sofafi Gap (in order to trace Supply / negate my Zone of Control). I’m tempted to pull 7th Support’s Group’s Western-most Infantry Battalion and Engineer Company, plus the two adjacent 25 lb Batteries, back to the East, but will keep them in place – in “Combat+” Supply – should Mike elect to Attack.

Attachments
Commonweal..artGT4.jpg
Commonweal..artGT4.jpg (194.46 KiB) Viewed 3593 times

Return to “After Action Reports”