Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any advantage to attacking SS units?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Any advantage to attacking SS units? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any advantage to attacking SS units? - 2/13/2018 2:34:44 AM   
thedoctorking

Aside from the pleasure you get from crushing those black-clad dogs, of course?

As the Russian player, I always go out of my way to attack Rumanians, Hungarians, Italians, and Finns because I know they have separate and much lower manpower pools so you can reduce those armies to uselessness by inflicting lots of losses on them. Is the same thing true of the SS? If you kill lots of SS guys do the SS divisions just draw their replacements from the general German pool?
Post #: 1
RE: Any advantage to attacking SS units? - 2/13/2018 6:53:51 AM   
tyronec

As I understand it the logic in the game is to always attack the opposing units that have lowest morale/least defensive terain.
That way you get a better loss ratio in your favor and ultimately it is about draining the opposing manpower pool.
Of course there may be tactical situations that dictate otherwise and certain troop types have build limits, but I don't think SS are one of these.

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 2
RE: Any advantage to attacking SS units? - 2/13/2018 1:13:21 PM   
No idea

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking

As the Russian player, I always go out of my way to attack Rumanians, Hungarians, Italians, and Finns because I know they have separate and much lower manpower pools so you can reduce those armies to uselessness by inflicting lots of losses on them. Is the same thing true of the SS? If you kill lots of SS guys do the SS divisions just draw their replacements from the general German pool?

No, SS guys are from the same pool as other german troops.

Ps. Regarding attacking german allies because of short mapower pools, there is a point in attacking finnish units, not others. Romanians have a good mapower pool considering their combat units. Same goes for hungarians. Italians dont matter, as they will go in 1943. Attack them because they are the best way of gettin victories and breaktroughs, but, except for the finnish units, there isnt muchpoint in atacking them to deplete their manpower. It is easier to make them surrnder, especially in the romanian case.

< Message edited by No idea -- 2/13/2018 1:16:54 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: Any advantage to attacking SS units? - 2/15/2018 2:32:03 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking

The crushing the black clad dogs has shown to have an effect on players .. HLYA surrounded and crushed a SS unit . and his opponent disappeared
Just to get a conversation going ... From my of view isolating and either destroying or smacking any high value unit in terms of morale is always good if given the opportunity. I track the high value Soviet units religiously as there is not a whole lot of them in 1941. There are units with morale higher than national baseline that when smacked (losing morale) don't recover well. I might suggest these units are better targets if presented an opportunity?

Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward. - Kurt Vonnegut

Post #: 4
RE: Any advantage to attacking SS units? - 2/15/2018 2:47:06 PM   
morvael

In my game those black dogs fought for 2-3 weeks on airhead supply during mud season.

In my other game I spent a lof of effort to hunt GD division (not black dogs, but even stronger) as it spoiled too many of my attacks. But they eluded me for a very long time.

Yes, these elite units are important for player morale, it's worth getting them.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 5
RE: Any advantage to attacking SS units? - 2/15/2018 2:49:53 PM   
Telemecus

Although if in 1941 or beginning of 1942 remember units like Das Reich and LAH withdraw soon. Getting them may eliminate the manpower (when they return as a shell and get refitted before being withdrawn) and hurt an opponents morale. But in terms of getting an elite unit you may not actually be getting a lot in return for any extra effort.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Any advantage to attacking SS units? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI