Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"There seems to be something wrong with our missiles"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> "There seems to be something wrong with our missiles" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"There seems to be something wrong with our missil... - 2/12/2018 11:23:54 PM   
Zakalwe101

Having some trouble with Milan 2.
Playing Behind enemy lines scenario from Germany reforged.
Have set up as first picture .
by the end of the first phase the Soviet motor rifle Battalion attack from the north has closed to within 500m of the British forces position north of the river, This move was conducted over the space of 15minutes , the units being spotted by the Milan 2 equipped 1/1/RIR throughout their movement. This unit did not fire upon the Soviets until they had closed to within 500m.
The other MILAN 2 unit in range, 2/AT/4/1, has failed to fire.
Both units were at 75% Readiness, ammunition 65% or so.
Second post shows the position at the end of the first phase.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Zakalwe101 -- 2/12/2018 11:25:10 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: "There seems to be something wrong with our mi... - 2/12/2018 11:30:34 PM   
Zakalwe101

what am I doing wrong or not seeing, I don't understand why they are not firing sooner?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zakalwe101)
Post #: 2
RE: "There seems to be something wrong with our mi... - 2/13/2018 2:13:46 AM   
CapnDarwin

I think a couple things are limiting your fire. First, being at 65% ammo with the fix to ATGM ammo rates, you are probably down to a shot or two at best. Second, infantry in built-up areas will hold fire to about a third of effective range in order to not draw fire. They will, however, shoot at range if they are engaged first. I would try to give them some R&R to up readiness and ammo and use them to snipe from close ranges.

We are working hard on Southern Storm! Back from Origins, recharged, new ideas and back to work!!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations

(in reply to Zakalwe101)
Post #: 3
RE: "There seems to be something wrong with our mi... - 2/13/2018 8:20:12 AM   
Lowlaner2012

I agree, I have played this scenario and have knocked out a lot of tanks with the trusty Milan II :-)

Cheers

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 4
RE: "There seems to be something wrong with our mi... - 2/13/2018 7:12:12 PM   
Zakalwe101

OK, thanks , in which case I will have a rethink, I don't have much depth to spread out into , previous attempts to spread out northward have not worked, ran straight into the Soviet advance , which didn't end well for the Brits. I want to spread out more as I don't as yet know how much Soviet artillery there is and I don't know what air support they will get. I'm not hopeful that the RAF will 1. make an appearance OR 2. make much difference given the usual scale of Soviet AD.

I was relying on Milan to write down the Soviet advance long enough for my tank company to take a rest, as if these chieftains MK11 are to go up against T80U they will need to be able to get first shots off.

Interesting times ahead.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 5
RE: "There seems to be something wrong with our mi... - 2/15/2018 9:38:27 AM   
HeinzBaby

I love this senario (love my Brits), shades of Rouke's Drift... there are a couple of other senarios linked to this one.

SPOILER
Alternative deployment:
You might want to give up the town north of the Bridge,
That Company there, is mighty lonely by itself, with the full weight of a Soviet Regt coming down on it.
Reteating that Milan plt. to the town west won't help much because its of limited range.
Instead, consolidate in the Burg, of Rensebach two units per stack, any more and Ivan Arty will hit you..(not sure Soviets have Arty?..)
Ring the town with your Milan Plts
Deploy Arty mines ON the Bridge site and northern town adjacent,
Run a recce to Poggenhagen (bottom edge town) to keep an eye on river crossings south of Rensebach,
Ivan will for sure try to get to the VP's from the south.
Delay your Harriers until Ivans Flak batteries are destroyed by your Arty.

Heia Safari

(in reply to Zakalwe101)
Post #: 6
RE: "There seems to be something wrong with our mi... - 2/15/2018 11:43:52 AM   
CapnDarwin

.. Also rest and resupply tired units when you can.

We are working hard on Southern Storm! Back from Origins, recharged, new ideas and back to work!!

On Target Simulations

(in reply to HeinzBaby)
Post #: 7
RE: "There seems to be something wrong with our mi... - 2/19/2018 7:41:33 PM   
Zakalwe101

This is the position 2hours and 18mins into the game.
Spoilers
Too often have I been subject to Soviet tank companies just blowing through infantry in towns , so the I left the company north of the river to maximise opportunities for LAW 80 to reduce a soviet tank thrust from the north, they effectively held off the Soviet Motor Infantry to such a degree they never got over the bridge. I don't have artillery deployable mines and the air assets are not player controlled , they got badly beaten up by a Tunguska unit which must have had a cloaking devices 'cos I never saw it until it fired.
Recon units in Poggenhagen couldn't run away quick enough, but gave me a little advantage to move a Chieftain troop to hex 1118 , they claimed 10 tank kills, for 1 loss.

The western attack was obliterated by a single tank troop - kills 24 APC,20 Inf, 2 AT, 2 HQ, 1 AD, with some support from the remnants of the air assets, mortar fire and second troop in depth.
2/AT/4/1 wouldn't fire, nor would it stay still to resupply, so I had them run away to the north so not to lose them to BMP fire.

Anyway ended with Soviets 70% casualties but a Soviet tank company 6 strong got into hex 1018.
decisive victory for Brits.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 8
RE: "There seems to be something wrong with our mi... - 2/19/2018 10:33:34 PM   
CapnDarwin

Just noticed that the map you are on is not the updated version. The revised one has a couple places where the AI can bridge if the main bridge is blocked.

On Target Simulations

(in reply to Zakalwe101)
Post #: 9
RE: "There seems to be something wrong with our mi... - 2/19/2018 11:53:25 PM   
Zakalwe101

re the map... I downloaded Reforger this Christmas, and have the disc, updated it to version 2.0.14, using this map on a earlier scenario I did see some Soviets fording the River in the north of the confluence the Rensen and Lippe -- caught me out that did ! (damned AI always has me over in some way !)

What should look for to check this is the one that has the fording points ?

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> "There seems to be something wrong with our missiles" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI