Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Replay Bug Update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Replay Bug Update Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Replay Bug Update - 2/11/2018 3:44:15 PM   
spence

Back in the days of Uncommon Valor and the original WitP the "replay bug" used to bite the Allied Player fairly commonly. In AE it seems that it bites rarely but it does seem to bite once in a while.

To counter the "replay bug" I had taken to having the IJ Player send along his combat summary so I could compare what I saw to reality (it seemed my combat summary always reported whatever I saw).

I forgot to ask the IJ Player to do this in my latest PBEM and having let it go for so long (it's August 42 in game now) I kinda don't want to ask for it now.

But for the last 6 months (of game time) it seemed like a total waste of time to worry about my subs even putting to sea since for months the IJN just sailed right thru them turn after turn. Once or so per blue moon one would sight an enemy TF but they never hit anything except the occasional AK or AP. Now, in one turn, my subs scored multiple torpedo hits on a CV and a battleship and another on a CVL. My first thought was that the "replay bug" is really chowing down.

But perhaps it is the result of the "seed number" for the turn? Or maybe the "replay bug" or...? What does the forum think?

(Version is latest Beta)

< Message edited by spence -- 2/11/2018 3:47:52 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Replay Bug Update - 2/11/2018 4:57:28 PM   
Lokasenna

If you are running the latest beta, then inside the turn file is the combat replay - you can just push 'C' to see the actual replay. This will be the same as the text file that was generated.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 2
RE: Replay Bug Update - 2/11/2018 7:56:59 PM   
spence

quote:

If you are running the latest beta, then inside the turn file is the combat replay - you can just push 'C' to see the actual replay. This will be the same as the text file that was generated.

There's an icon at the top that serves the same function. The question involves what the Japanese Player saw when he ran the replay since when the Replay Bug bites the Allied Player sees something different (and usually better for him than what the Japanese Player saw). When the Replay Bug bites the text file for the Combat Summary looks just like whatever the Allied Player saw in the replay. It is generated by the false replay that the Allied Player saw. Since pressing "C" gives the same result as I viewed it does nothing to convince me that the replay bug didn't bite in this case (since my subs accomplished more in this turn than they had during the preceding 9 months of game time).

The other alternative is that I got a really lucky break on the "seed number random" so that even with a 80% dud rate for my sub torpedoes all the torpedoes detonated this turn.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 3
RE: Replay Bug Update - 2/12/2018 2:38:41 AM   
Admiral DadMan

If I may, one thing to check is that you confirm with your opponent that you both use the SAME option settings. I know that I had that happen to me in a PBeM game. It resolved when I made my settings the same as his.

Your mileage may vary.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 4
RE: Replay Bug Update - 2/12/2018 4:09:24 AM   
crsutton

I get the replay bug once in a blue moon-usually when there is a very heavy action or two. However, the combat report is always correct when I get the bug. I just go over the report to get the correct information about the battle.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 5
RE: Replay Bug Update - 2/12/2018 1:30:19 PM   
spence

quote:

However, the combat report is always correct when I get the bug.

How do you know when you get the "replay bug"?

Does the IJ Player send you his combat summary (I know that one is correct). In the past my Allied Player combat summary has reported the combats exactly as I viewed them showing the bugged results.

For this particular turn my opponent reports that the combats that I saw in the replay were the correct ones. Woohoo!

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6
RE: Replay Bug Update - 2/12/2018 2:44:59 PM   
crsutton

First thing I do every turn is look at the planes shot down on the intel screen. If it does not jibe with the replay I watched then I know I have a problem. I then check the combat report. If I had the bug the combat report will be very different from what I just watched. Never noticed a minor replay bug. When it happens it is usually when there is a lot of action and the differences in the replay are then very noticeable. Hard to miss.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 7
RE: Replay Bug Update - 2/12/2018 5:55:59 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

quote:

However, the combat report is always correct when I get the bug.

How do you know when you get the "replay bug"?

Does the IJ Player send you his combat summary (I know that one is correct). In the past my Allied Player combat summary has reported the combats exactly as I viewed them showing the bugged results.

For this particular turn my opponent reports that the combats that I saw in the replay were the correct ones. Woohoo!

The definitive, 100% accurate way, if you are using the -archive switch (which saves a copy of the report files to the archive sub-folder with the date appended):
After you open the turn file, Compare the combat report file in SAVE with the combat report file for that date in SAVE/archive. If they are identical = no sync bug. If they differ at all = sync bug.

Example: Compare SAVE\combatreport.txt with SAVE\archive\combatreport_420130.txt

Note that some sync bugs are trivial and involve message differences like "unable to find sub" versus "cannot locate sub" or some such irrelevant differences.

Edit to add: Make the comparison after you 1) run the replay, and 2) open the turn file.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 2/12/2018 8:42:46 PM >

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 8
RE: Replay Bug Update - 2/12/2018 7:14:23 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

(and usually better for him than what the Japanese Player saw)

Anecdotal!

It just varies. It's quite literally random, as the issue with the bug is that the Allied player's game is looking at the replay with a different "seed" in the random number table.

If you saw, via looking at the in-game combat report, the same thing as you saw during your animated replay - then that's what actually happened.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Replay Bug Update Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI