1. Imho, in this game a defense is impossible, only delay action may buy some time.
2. The only solution is to counterattack, causing significant losses to the enemy.
3. SU won`t be able to counterattack successfully without sufficient research, unit-types and numbers.
4. Sovyet corps and garrisons aren`t able to do damage in any attack in 42, they're obsolete.
If under no circumstances the Sovyets will be able to stop the Axis, what`s the point in defending the key cities by losing many units without doing any damage (unless randomly), thereby training the Axis troops to 3 star, losing 20% of NM in average, wasting tons of MPPs and neglecting research?
I refuse to do it this way. What I`m doing is:
- gather all troops except corps and garrisons around Leningrad
- build a defensive parameter 3 hexes deep into the swamps and Volchow
- focus on research
- attack the Finns from the start. Even if I won`t be able to reach Helsinki, they're no longer a threat, leaving the space to withdraw, should Leningrad fall. Therefor it`s necessary to implement winterwar and not to send an expedition corps.
The swamps around Leningrad are not suitable to counterattack, this will occur around Moscow with the arrival of the Siberians, since the forrests are providing air def.-boni.
And last, not least: don`t you ever lose Cairo. The Brits can afford to lose their Island, but not Cairo.