Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why are Germans better at digging than Russians?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Why are Germans better at digging than Russians? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why are Germans better at digging than Russians? - 2/10/2018 3:51:11 AM   
thedoctorking

I've been noticing since the new patch came out that my guys don't dig as well as they used to. Maybe it's just me. Even with a couple of 50-Exp Sapper Regiments, we don't dig as fast as the Germans. You'd think it would be the other way around. Digging is one thing the Soviets ought to be really good at.

And does the civilian construction bonus work as advertised?

Also, is there any way to assign a construction unit to rebuilding a city-based facility? You'd think they would be good at that too.
Post #: 1
RE: Why are Germans better at digging than Russians? - 2/10/2018 7:48:33 AM   
Stelteck

Training about how to use a tower is linked to XP

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 2
RE: Why are Germans better at digging than Russians? - 2/10/2018 12:28:35 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking
Also, is there any way to assign a construction unit to rebuilding a city-based facility?

If you mean like a factory not in WitE1. But someone wrote it will be in WitE2.

Post #: 3
RE: Why are Germans better at digging than Russians? - 2/10/2018 2:28:28 PM   
thedoctorking

It just seems like if you leave Germans alone on the front line for a couple of turns, they have entrenchment level 2, while Russians in quiet rear area sectors sit there for months and can't get beyond level 1.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 4
RE: Why are Germans better at digging than Russians? - 2/10/2018 2:50:55 PM   
Telemecus

It is worth choosing the units with high construction values in their unit details. Get a couple of good construction value units and you will go up several levels quick. Sadly the Soviet side does not have too many of them.

Post #: 5
RE: Why are Germans better at digging than Russians? - 2/10/2018 3:47:22 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

It is worth choosing the units with high construction values in their unit details. Get a couple of good construction value units and you will go up several levels quick. Sadly the Soviet side does not have too many of them.

It used to be much much worse in the previous patch. At least in the current patch the Soviets can entrench pretty well now. But exactly what Telemecus wrote, you need units with high entrenchment values and those units are normally high morale units and in the early game your Tank/Mech. I wrote about this in the Dinglir AAR and still has some relevance today. Experience matters in the units ;-)

“There are but few commanders who properly appreciate the value of celerity.”;

Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 6
RE: Why are Germans better at digging than Russians? - 2/10/2018 6:08:13 PM   
morvael

quote:

It just seems like if you leave Germans alone on the front line for a couple of turns, they have entrenchment level 2, while Russians in quiet rear area sectors sit there for months and can't get beyond level 1.

Far away from the frontlines you cannot get to high fort levels without fort units.

Post #: 7
RE: Why are Germans better at digging than Russians? - 2/11/2018 2:08:58 AM   
thedoctorking

Yeah, but two or three hexes back that isn't an issue. I put a fort unit and a good experience division with two or three sapper regiments in one of the hexes at the mouth of the Neva on turn 6 or so, and when the Germans arrive in front of the hex on turn 10, I consider myself lucky if I have fort level 2. The Germans retreat a bit during the mud and when I catch up with them two turns later, they have fort level 2. Seems unrealistic to me. One thing the Russians knew how to do in 1941 was dig trenches.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 8
RE: Why are Germans better at digging than Russians? - 2/11/2018 2:36:14 AM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

Yeah, but two or three hexes back that isn't an issue. I put a fort unit and a good experience division with two or three sapper regiments in one of the hexes at the mouth of the Neva on turn 6 or so, and when the Germans arrive in front of the hex on turn 10, I consider myself lucky if I have fort level 2. The Germans retreat a bit during the mud and when I catch up with them two turns later, they have fort level 2. Seems unrealistic to me. One thing the Russians knew how to do in 1941 was dig trenches.

Personnally I dont believe that the hype of Russians digging in faster than anyone else. I think this is an overblown myth. But of course always happy to hear from historians to show the different rates Soviet men entrench faster than German men or US men.

“There are but few commanders who properly appreciate the value of celerity.”;

Stonewall Jackson

Post #: 9
RE: Why are Germans better at digging than Russians? - 2/11/2018 11:06:06 AM   
Searry

I think digging levels should be the same for the Soviets and the Germans.

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 10
RE: Why are Germans better at digging than Russians? - 2/11/2018 11:10:59 AM   
morvael

Soviets have bonus to digging, but their lower experience, smaller units and probably less engineer squads result in lower entrenchment rates.

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 11
RE: Why are Germans better at digging than Russians? - 2/12/2018 4:53:06 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

You'd think it would be the other way around. Digging is one thing the Soviets ought to be really good at.

Just was going through some economic statistics that reminded me of this question - and the important difference between effort and productivity. No doubt the Soviet side had heroic efforts with many having a stakhanovite attitude to digging. But a mechanical digger still will win the day. Like the economy, the German army needed less effort to dig because it was better capitalised/mechanised.

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Why are Germans better at digging than Russians? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI