OT: Trip to London: Obvert Meeting, HMS Belfast, IWM

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

CaptBeefheart

OT: Trip to London: Obvert Meeting, HMS Belfast, IWM

Post by CaptBeefheart »

I made it to London earlier this week on business and although I could have used more time, I managed to fit in visits to the Imperial War Museum and the HMS Belfast. More importantly, I met up with Obvert a couple of times over a few pints.

Obvert is the first AE forumite I've met in person, and hopefully not the last. Of course, we had plenty to talk about, and not just about AE. The gentleman is also a long-term American expat and he also has a lovely daughter (his is 13 months' old), whom I got a chance to meet at The Duke of Sussex, which has a pretty decent selection of pub grub and suds.

The IWM has at least two worthy exhibits: one on WWI and one on the Holocaust. I learned a few things in the WWI section and the Holocaust one is suitably depressing. The WW2 section was nothing special. Other parts may or may not have been good. I also picked up McLynn's "The Burma Campaign: Disaster into Triumph 1942-45" from the book shop there.

The Belfast is of course a great ship. Eight decks were available for walking around (which means it's a lot more accessible than the USS Intrepid in NYC). The top deck was under renovation, unfortunately, or it would have been nine decks. I spent over three hours tooling around, from the Flag Deck to the Forward Boiler Room.

Between business meetings I also made it to the impressive Foyle's Books on Charing Cross Road, which has an excellent WW2 section in particular, and handles warfare in general quite well. I haven't been in a bookstore that good in decades, if ever.

I hope to coincide my next trip there with the 2019 or 2020 Duxford Air Show, which is held in May. You may have seen Obvert's photos of last year's show in the forum.

Overall it was a great trip, and I look forward to meeting Obvert again either over there or in these parts.

Cheers,
CC

Attachments
IMG_15371.jpg
IMG_15371.jpg (94.35 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
CaptBeefheart

RE: OT: Trip to London: Obvert Meeting, HMS Belfast, IWM

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Royal Navy dentistry at its finest.

Attachments
IMG_15461.jpg
IMG_15461.jpg (86.59 KiB) Viewed 111 times
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

From the shore.

Attachments
IMG_1535.jpg
IMG_1535.jpg (95.24 KiB) Viewed 111 times
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Shell room.

Attachments
IMG_15491.jpg
IMG_15491.jpg (108.04 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy »

Thanks for uploading the pictures! One of my friends studied in Britain over the summer and I told him that he should go see HMS Belfast while he was in London. Alas, he's not really into history...

I've read McLynn's "The Burma Campaign: Disaster into Triumph 1942-45" and really enjoyed it, thought it's been so long since I read it that liking it was all I really remember about it.
obvert

Post by obvert »

It was great to spend time with the Commander over here in my neck of the woods. We had a chance to meet up a few years ago in Soeul that unfortunately had to be aborted, but this time got to share a few pints in two different pubs on two separate days.

Very fun, lots to share and I only wish I had more time to tour the sites together, but I have to work and this week also doing solo parenting as my wife is away, so the little one had to come along to one of our meet-ups.

We'll aim to coordinate an air show if we can one day!
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
Barb

Post by Barb »

Had been in London for a short 5 day trip about 5 years back now... HMS Belfast is a must :)
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I was there on Sunday!

My brother and nephew came up from the west country and we took in the Churchill War Rooms and the Army Museum on Saturday and then the Belfast on Sunday - we wanted to see the IWM but could not fit it in.

The last time I saw HMS Belfast was with my little warspites a few years ago, and it looks like they are gradually getting more of her back in action. The museum was small, but very good but its a pity they can't mock up the catapult and a Walrus on the boat deck. The engine and boiler rooms remain a totally alien world to me but at least my ex-stoker brother was able to explain the basics!

The National Army museum was a major disappointment. They've re-built the museum but appear to have run out of cash.... lots of space and very little of interest to fill it. The notable exception being Waterloo. I still can't get over the fact they have Marengo's skeleton!

Attachments
P1080321.jpg
P1080321.jpg (143.34 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

England, pints, warship, jealous!
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Shell room.

Does anyone know if the Japanese ever developed a full automatic reload for their naval guns?
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Makes me want to dust off my passport and go back to the UK (it's been over 19 years). Commander Cody , will you still be in Seoul this summer? It looks like I have a trip there coming up. [:)]
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

In the summer I was in London and also visited HMS Belfast. It was very interesting experience. Thanks for sharing.
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

Seems like a pleasant vacation. Very nice photos, and to meet the legendary Obvert.
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Makes me want to dust off my passport and go back to the UK (it's been over 19 years). Commander Cody , will you still be in Seoul this summer? It looks like I have a trip there coming up. [:)]

I should be here for most of the summer. I'm still working out when I'll do my two-week stateside vacation. Let me know once you have something figured out.

And to all who like the photos, you're welcome. I can dig up a few more if there's interest, although I'm not a huge photo taker.

Cheers,
CC
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

ORIGINAL: Aurorus

Seems like a pleasant vacation. Very nice photos, and to meet the legendary Obvert.

The beauty was it wasn't even vacation. It was a business trip, although I obviously snuck in some free time.

Cheers,
CC
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

I found that they "dummied down" the main London IWM with their last reno. It is now much focused on school kids with interactive humbug. If you can't do both I would recommend IWM Duxford over the main museum. If you ever have time to go SE, the Bovington tank museum requires a full day or more to it justice.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

I made it to London earlier this week on business and although I could have used more time, I managed to fit in visits to the Imperial War Museum and the HMS Belfast. More importantly, I met up with Obvert a couple of times over a few pints.

Obvert is the first AE forumite I've met in person, and hopefully not the last. Of course, we had plenty to talk about, and not just about AE. The gentleman is also a long-term American expat and he also has a lovely daughter (his is 13 months' old), whom I got a chance to meet at The Duke of Sussex, which has a pretty decent selection of pub grub and suds.

OK - you left out the most important info: what ale have the British developed for toddlers (and don't say "ginger"!)? Or did Obvert just give her a set of darts and let her entertain herself while you talked AE shop? [:D]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
pbiggar

Post by pbiggar »

RAF Museum in London is worth it if you cannot get all the way to IWM Duxford. Bovington is the best Museum in the world - IMHO.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”