Is Apache a scout unit?

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

MaxDamage

Is Apache a scout unit?

Post by MaxDamage »

It has a detection bonus similar to a scout unit.

For example when visibility is 6500m, scout units like BRM1k or scout bradleys can see up to 8000m.

Right now the visibility is 5750 and Apache can see at 8000m (16 hexes). Cobra can only see at 6000m in the same conditions.

Is there any hidden scout ability for the apaches? The only diffirence bewtween Apache and Cobra is a laser range finder.

CapnDarwin

RE: Is Apache a scout unit?

Post by CapnDarwin »

Thermal sights will see out to max weapons range. For the Apache that is 8km. No scout bonuses.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
MaxDamage

Post by MaxDamage »

This feature sometimes does provide unexpected and probably unintentional results. Not often but in some special cases it can surprise you.
https://imgur.com/a/IiP1B

I wouldnt complain about that personnaly but i think that the thermal car uses artillery range for their spotting in this case. Can see hexes which are 10km away. This is unprecedented in FPRS and i havent seen it ever before :). Thermal scouts usually see up to 8km, thermal tanks up to 5-6 km and mech inf bradleys to 4-5 km.
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

ORIGINAL: MaxDamage

This feature sometimes does provide unexpected and probably unintentional results. Not often but in some special cases it can surprise you.
https://imgur.com/a/IiP1B

I wouldnt complain about that personnaly but i think that the thermal car uses artillery range for their spotting in this case. Can see hexes which are 10km away. This is unprecedented in FPRS and i havent seen it ever before :). Thermal scouts usually see up to 8km, thermal tanks up to 5-6 km and mech inf bradleys to 4-5 km.

Just so you know in real life the Cobra had a 13 power day only set of optics. We could pretty easily identify tanks out to the max range of the Tow missile at 3750 meters or the 20mm at 2 km. For the rockets, its range was in excess of 6 km and identifying targets at that range was a tough one with our 13 x TSU.

For the Apache, when it came out in 86 had a 100 x digital set of optics with one of the best thermal sights of the time, better than the original M1 had. The max range of the hellfire then was 8km and the 100x sight could very easily zoom in and identify targets at that range, even beyond that. At night it was tougher or thru a lot of haze or smoke, but in clear daylight it was no problem.

In the 90's in korea, we had thermal sights for only the Cobras assigned to the air cav (total 12 aircraft), and while they were very exceptional thermals, our range was limited due to the 13 power sight.

I don't know what the current version of systems the AH-64's use other than that the hellfire can now go beyond 12km, I haven't stayed up with it very much after I retired way back in 2000.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”