This is the best 4x game

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

mianmar

This is the best 4x game

Post by mianmar »

I can't resist from posting this, and just want to tell developers and game designers that they did such a great work with this game, please know if you ever release Distant worlds 2, and if the price will be more than 100$ then I will be the first to buy this game, because it is worth it every cent spent.

I'm 4x fanatic and there is no 4x game I didn't play, including newest ones: polaris sector, stellaris, Civilization, endless space and so on..

Obviously these game produces are focusing so much on graphics trying to make their games nice and shiny, but they all only partially implement the most important aspects of 4x games and that is, complexity, depth, randomness, reality and configurability.

Sacrificing graphics for above "aspects" to keep good performance is what makes this game the best 4x ever!

Thank you for such a great game! [:'(]

EDIT:
Oh forgot to say something about the AI.
the AI, is very good (excluding ship design, which is job for a player anyway), the only one game that matches this AI to some extent is the one from polaris sector.

for all other 4x games I feel free to say the AI more or less sucks in almost all areas.
SirHoraceHarkness

RE: This is the best 4x game

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

Yep quite the excellent game with so much replay value. However the AI is certainly lacking on vanilla in certain areas but thankfully this was addressed with a neat mod which greatly increases the AI's ability to give a good fight and also improves your own automation especially on ship design.

tm.asp?m=3647528

Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
mianmar

Post by mianmar »

Wow thanks, this mod looks very promising, even though I usually don't have the habit of using mods, I will definitely try this one out.
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

Yeah I can't play without it as it makes the empires so much more competitive especially after I modified the boskara racials to be the ultimate scourge making the shaktari look like a gaggle of harmless butterflies in comparison. Can only stick one in any game as they tend to roll over the other ai empires not long after gaining interstellar travel so it really puts the pressure on you to be prepared for them.
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

I dunno, it depends on the time I guess. The 90's were ruled by moo and moo2 (for me). 00's were se4 and 5 (again for me). Now it's DWU. They were all good and I still revisit them sometimes. Oh and try my UE mod. It's a challenge.
mianmar

Post by mianmar »

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970
I dunno, it depends on the time I guess.The 90's were ruled by moo and moo2 (for me). 00's were se4 and 5 (again for me). Now it's DWU.

Time is absolutely influencing a lot (hardware, experience etc.) but I would also say 2 other factors are influencing how games evolve these days and that is reception by community and marketing.

Unfortunately (IMO) marketing does not promote great games, simply because it requires cash, and the more money is spent on marketing less money there is left for game development. (meaning less content in game).

and the community can't influence a lot here since community is very diverse and lot's of people have lots of different desires and different pocket depth. which game producers can't really afford and that is sad.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”