Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Army Organisation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Army Organisation Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 7:42:58 AM   
postfux

I am ready to do anything with SparklyTits.

On the other hand I am not sure I get the joke about my nick. Perhaps it has something to do with a village near me, that has a problem with roadsign theft?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****ing,_Austria

< Message edited by postfux -- 1/23/2018 10:15:31 AM >

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 31
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 12:37:35 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: postfux

On the other hand I am not sure I get the joke about my nick. Perhaps it has something to do with a village near me, that has a problem with roadsign theft?

Ya, could be ;-P. Ya I heard about that road sign.

(in reply to postfux)
Post #: 32
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 2:47:35 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

I want to see an AAR with "SparklyTits" and "PostFux" :). I bet that could be some very interesting reading.

I would be in it for the pictures at a minimum ;-P

I think it would be censored by the moderators?

Post #: 33
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 2:48:03 PM   
postfux

Historically this guy is responsible for my nick.

If he gets you exited, you might have problems building a healthy relationship.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by postfux -- 1/23/2018 2:52:11 PM >

Post #: 34
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 2:48:08 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

Many rumanian airbase have the same TOE, the same amount of stuff, the same transport cost and the same vehicle need. They do have differnt airframes and a different number of them. So it seems only the support stuff is moved by truck/ train and the planes fly.

I'd double check that one - I have noticed for a long time that putting planes on airbases increases vehicle need of that airbase on the next turn. That is particularly important during periods such as late blizzard for the Axis when you are short of vehicles. Taking aeroplanes into the national reserve is the easiest way to quickly increase the vehicles in your pool the next turn as they are taken away from airbases.

(in reply to postfux)
Post #: 35
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 2:54:06 PM   
Telemecus

The Soviet secret instructional video for those planes on those trains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHeGLlQBeJg

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 36
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 4:40:42 PM   
SparkleyTits

quote:

Haha I could use HYLA recon tactics but instead of arrows to Moscow for example I could put more alluring pshyc tactics with recon to keep the readers stimulated

(in reply to postfux)
Post #: 37
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 5:29:33 PM   
postfux

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

I'd double check that one - I have noticed for a long time that putting planes on airbases increases vehicle need of that airbase on the next turn. That is particularly important during periods such as late blizzard for the Axis when you are short of vehicles. Taking aeroplanes into the national reserve is the easiest way to quickly increase the vehicles in your pool the next turn as they are taken away from airbases.

I didnt find a suitable method and lack the maths skills (and the will) to try and find the exact formula by comparing different bases.

I did find out that organic vehicle need gets recalculated during the AI phase so it is possible that airplanes have an requirement for organic vehicles. I think it is highly unlikely looking at the rumanian airbases with the exact same amount of stuff and the exact same amount of organic vehicles but completely different numbers of planes.

Also airbases recalculate their stuff need during the AI phase and seem to try to keep their levels on 100%. So reducing the number of planes will reduce the stuff need and also will reduce the stuff which will reduce the number of needed vehicles resulting in more vehicles in the pool. I think that is the more likely explanation.

quote:

The Soviet secret instructional video for those planes on those trains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHeGLlQBeJg

I have wasted a day at work watching GTA fails and this is your fault.

quote:

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

Haha I could use HYLA recon tactics but instead of arrows to Moscow for example I could put more alluring pshyc tactics with recon to keep the readers stimulated

A fitting name would be operation "deep penetration".

(in reply to SparkleyTits)
Post #: 38
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 5:31:20 PM   
SparkleyTits

Double post

< Message edited by SparkleyTits -- 1/23/2018 5:32:50 PM >

(in reply to postfux)
Post #: 39
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 5:32:12 PM   
SparkleyTits

quote:

Haha we are both adults I swear

Post #: 40
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 5:32:34 PM   
SparkleyTits

Triple post.....

< Message edited by SparkleyTits -- 1/23/2018 5:33:11 PM >

Post #: 41
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 5:43:14 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

quote:

I did find out that organic vehicle need gets recalculated during the AI phase so it is possible that airplanes have an requirement for organic vehicles. I think it is highly unlikely looking at the rumanian airbases with the exact same amount of stuff and the exact same amount of organic vehicles but completely different numbers of planes.

Exactly the vehicles need is only for the start of the phase and will only be changed in your next logistics phase.

Perhaps try a test with Luftwaffe bases. Rumanian bombers are still comparatively light aircraft and only twelve at most in an airgroup.

Try a Luftwaffe base with nine airgroups of 40 heavy bombers each against another with a few Fi156cs - you will see the huge vehicle differences!

(in reply to postfux)
Post #: 42
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 6:48:21 PM   
postfux

quote:

Exactly the vehicles need is only for the start of the phase and will only be changed in your next logistics phase.

Perhaps try a test with Luftwaffe bases. Rumanian bombers are still comparatively light aircraft and only twelve at most in an airgroup.

Try a Luftwaffe base with nine airgroups of 40 heavy bombers each against another with a few Fi156cs - you will see the huge vehicle differences!

I tested with Luftwaffe bases. It is absolutely correct that increasing the number of airgroups also increases the number of organic vehicles.

I only think that the effect is not caused by the presence of the planes themselves but by the presence ot the planes leading to an increase of stuff being stored at the base. This might be especially true when comparing recon planes with level bombers.

I cant see an easy way to test if planes need organic vehicles for their own sake. It possibly also isnt worth the effort because the presence of more planes will increase the need for trucks at least indirect by increasing the amount of stuff stored at the airbase. It is also perhaps a purely academic question.

< Message edited by postfux -- 1/23/2018 7:25:26 PM >

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 43
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 6:52:06 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

Historically this guy is responsible for my nick.

If he gets you exited, you might have problems building a healthy relationship.

OH!!!!! It is a "Postal "FOX"" :) Now that makes a great deal more sense. I thought your name was a play on a bad American Word.

(in reply to postfux)
Post #: 44
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 6:55:30 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

quote:

Haha we are both adults I swear

OMG!!! what have I created here.

Post #: 45
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 7:16:02 PM   
postfux

quote:

OH!!!!! It is a "Postal "FOX"" :) Now that makes a great deal more sense. I thought your name was a play on a bad American Word.

It was my first email account back in the days when the internet could be found in the basement of the university.

Have used it ever since for all kind of things completely unaware that there is another meaning asociated with it.

Perhaps I should rethink my public appearance in english speaking forums. At least in those I could tell my wife about.

Post #: 46
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 7:19:37 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

It is also perhaps a purely academic question.

Probably - I did read a PhD paper on the difference between correlation and causation once that concluded there was none!

The only real evidence I can think would be useful is to find cases where vehicle use does not correlate with aircraft to establish what is the true causing variable. So far it has not been spotted, so in practical terms usually not worth worrying about.

Elsewhere there have been posts from developers commenting that the airbase counters are only abstractions. Historically there were many more airbases and airfields - so many that it would be unplayable if each one had a counter. So each airbase counter really represents many airfields spread out sometimes many many hexes away. I assume the vehicles are part of the normal airbase operations of towing aircraft and anti-aircraft guns, transporting ammunition from hardened magazines to the air strip, shuttling back between barracks, HQ and railhead etc. In a physical sense no aircraft has an organic ground vehicle.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 1/23/2018 7:20:05 PM >

Post #: 47
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 8:12:09 PM   
postfux

quote:

Probably - I did read a PhD paper on the difference between correlation and causation once that concluded there was none!

They should scratch one word from the dictionary then. On the other hand there is this town I know of where the stork population is correlating with number of newborns. So I need the word to be able to describe this fact without being declared an idiot.

The airfield abstraction is working pretty well I think and having understood the important mechanics (I hope) I will stop counting trucks on the eastern front.

Which brings me to my next issue. Arty TOE. This is a mess (for me). I understand that artillery are howitzers between 105 and 150mm, everything else is heavy or super heavy artillery. Units with similar names can have different TOEs and I expect that through replacements this will be further mixed up as the game progresses.

Is it worth looking into and keeping track of this things? Are there situations where range can be more important than ROF for instance?

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 48
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 8:30:11 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

Arty TOE. This is a mess (for me). I understand that artillery are howitzers between 105 and 150mm, everything else is heavy or super heavy artillery. Units with similar names can have different TOEs and I expect that through replacements this will be further mixed up as the game progresses.

Are you familiar with the ToE classes? It may be worth getting to know what a 41 sFH Howitzer Battalion as opposed to a 41 K18 Gun Battalion say if you do not. That may be the way to start understanding how it works.

quote:

Are there situations where range can be more important than ROF for instance?

Crackaces?

(in reply to postfux)
Post #: 49
RE: Army Organisation - 1/23/2018 8:47:49 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

quote:

They should scratch one word from the dictionary then. On the other hand there is this town I know of where the stork population is correlating with number of newborns. So I need the word to be able to describe this fact without being declared an idiot.

The airfield abstraction is working pretty well I think and having understood the important mechanics (I hope) I will stop counting trucks on the eastern front.

Which brings me to my next issue. Arty TOE. This is a mess (for me). I understand that artillery are howitzers between 105 and 150mm, everything else is heavy or super heavy artillery. Units with similar names can have different TOEs and I expect that through replacements this will be further mixed up as the game progresses.

Is it worth looking into and keeping track of this things? Are there situations where range can be more important than ROF for instance?

I have not figured out ROF yet and the powers to be have not answered my question I posted ...where I see ROF as a major determiner is flak and using ammo. There are slight differences in ROF between devices that can at least be balanced in terms of the other factors.

That said in addition to ROF .. if you look at the art devices you have a mix of range, blast, ammo, .. and special ammo like HEAT vs tanks. Then there are the transportation costs .. "lorries" as our supreme commander might say ..

If one had infinite resources one would attach 305 mm siege guns as SU's but the ammo use per use and the cost of replacement is prohibitive . Plus why smack a fly with a hammer? So for example, I Corps headed to Leningrad has a 305mm siege gun because I have nearby supply and the current targets are well fortified. Some of my HQ's in 16th Army are carrying around 105mm Howitzer units that are not very big. Low costs on the trucks but are able to mix it up. I have L Corps with 210mm SU's because of the dug in Soviets.

So I posted in my AAR a complete sequence for the combat report derived from watching reports on message level 7. I can say for example, crossing a river, especially a major river, you want long ranged art to disrupt the enemy. I would also contend that facing a bunch of Soviet art SU's that you would want as many long ranged devices.

In short, the actual combat opens with air .. dive and level bombers doing their thing. That results in random devices getting disrupted, damaged and destroyed, Then the long ranged stuff starts exchanging blows. Key -> once a device is disrupted it no longer contributes. Now everything closes distance and exchanges again.
In this scheme of things the 305mm has a very slow rate of fire but hurls a huge shell that will cause disruption, damage, and destruction to whatever is hit no matter the fort level, nebelweffers for example cause a lot of disruption but medium in the fort department, the 210mm slower rate of fire but I see effective against stuff in a fort level 2 and heaver to drag around .... do you see the trade offs?

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to postfux)
Post #: 50
RE: Army Organisation - 1/24/2018 10:36:53 AM   
postfux

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

So I posted in my AAR a complete sequence for the combat report derived from watching reports on message level 7. I can say for example, crossing a river, especially a major river, you want long ranged art to disrupt the enemy. I would also contend that facing a bunch of Soviet art SU's that you would want as many long ranged devices.

Your AAR is great reading! Love those pdfs.

Also the airgroupswap thing was completly new to me. Makes turn 1 even more of a puzzle, back to the drawingboard.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Army Organisation Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI