Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strategic Bombing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Strategic Bombing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strategic Bombing - 1/18/2018 5:40:18 PM   
thedoctorking

Does anybody bother with it? I have tried bombing Ploesti a couple of times and always got too many bombers shot down. As the Germans, I tried bombing the port of Sevastopol to isolate the garrison, and although my bomber losses were minimal I could not do any effective damage. I have read AAR's where people bomb the T34 factory in Kharkov or the vehicle factory in Gorky. There are USSR fighter bases back there to prevent it.

Is it worth doing? Should the effectiveness be increased? I know that in the actual historical war there was almost no strategic bombing by the USSR or against it by Axis air forces. But the USSR air force in the 1930s was built with strategic bombing in mind and those level bombers in the Red Air Force inventory at game start should be much better at the task than they are, I would say.
Post #: 1
RE: Strategic Bombing - 1/18/2018 9:31:31 PM   
No idea

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking

Does anybody bother with it? I have tried bombing Ploesti a couple of times and always got too many bombers shot down. As the Germans, I tried bombing the port of Sevastopol to isolate the garrison, and although my bomber losses were minimal I could not do any effective damage. I have read AAR's where people bomb the T34 factory in Kharkov or the vehicle factory in Gorky. There are USSR fighter bases back there to prevent it.

Is it worth doing? Should the effectiveness be increased? I know that in the actual historical war there was almost no strategic bombing by the USSR or against it by Axis air forces. But the USSR air force in the 1930s was built with strategic bombing in mind and those level bombers in the Red Air Force inventory at game start should be much better at the task than they are, I would say.

Dont bother with big ports. It is easier to reach the Urals than close a big port. Regarding factories, it might be worth against the germans, but without fighter cover, your bombers are going to be eaten alive, unless you bomb during night, but then rsults will be almost nothing

Ps. I mean against german FACTORIES. Dont bother bombing their resources. Both sides swim in resources in WiTE.

< Message edited by No idea -- 1/19/2018 7:08:36 AM >

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 2
RE: Strategic Bombing - 1/19/2018 8:40:05 AM   
fritzfarlig

In a game I was soviet I had surrounded Tallinn and the surrounding area with several German divisions caught there, I bombed the harbor every turn with succes

(in reply to No idea)
Post #: 3
RE: Strategic Bombing - 1/19/2018 11:45:17 AM   
No idea

quote:

ORIGINAL: fritzfarlig

In a game I was soviet I had surrounded Tallinn and the surrounding area with several German divisions caught there, I bombed the harbor every turn with succes

Which level is Tallinn and which patch? I ask because port bombing has changed

Ps. Sebastopol is a level 10 port now

(in reply to fritzfarlig)
Post #: 4
RE: Strategic Bombing - 1/19/2018 12:11:56 PM   
postfux

There is an AAR (OKH 8 Player, german side) with a very well described bombing campaign.

(in reply to No idea)
Post #: 5
RE: Strategic Bombing - 1/19/2018 7:16:47 PM   
ringhloth

AFAIK, any damage prevents expansion of factories. So even if you can only deal 1 damage against a factory, it won't expand. Some factories start quite low, so you can seriously hamper production by doing that.

(in reply to postfux)
Post #: 6
RE: Strategic Bombing - 1/19/2018 9:16:34 PM   
No idea

quote:

ORIGINAL: ringhloth

AFAIK, any damage prevents expansion of factories. So even if you can only deal 1 damage against a factory, it won't expand. Some factories start quite low, so you can seriously hamper production by doing that.

Thats right. I have never tried it but knowing the german factories that still expand and bomb them can deal them some good damage, as german production is so low, especially in 1941.

I read a year ago an AAR of a guy who did just that. In first turn he bombed several german factories, wreaking havoc in the german production. After that, in the next patch, all german cities with factories had the fixed airbases we see now

(in reply to ringhloth)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Strategic Bombing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI