The American Selective Training and Service Act, and US Army Units

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

Robert24

The American Selective Training and Service Act, and US Army Units

Post by Robert24 »

[left]Good evening!

I would like to present a small modification to the 1939 Campaign that may enhance the enjoyment of playing the game.

The American Selective Training and Service Act of 1940, forced upon the USA its first peace time military draft, allowing the nation to jump-start on its defense ahead of its entry into WW2. However, the tanks, planes, and munitions needed to arm the US Army were constantly being diverted to lend-lease. This tug-of-war played out at the highest levels in the White House and the Pentagon. There were competing priorities; build the US Army now, or arm the UK now. This situation is simulated well in the game. The Allied player has a small number of units at low strength that are ripe for reinforcement and upgrade, but the MPPs that might be used to build-up these units could be instead allocated to the convoys going to the UK.

An idea occurred to me as to how the 1939 Campaign could be changed to highlight this situation and enhance the enjoyment of playing the game. Once the historical date of the Selective Service Act of 1940 becomes law, the half-strength units could start to become available, as opposed to being present at the start of the game. So, all we do is set the same number of units as reinforcements, vice at-start. In addition, we would draft a pop-up to explain the dilemma with the available MPPs - use them to build the US Army, or send them to the UK.

I would love the read what you think.

Robert[/left]

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”