Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Automatic attachment of support units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Automatic attachment of support units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Automatic attachment of support units - 1/12/2018 4:06:05 PM   
thedoctorking

I have never used this option, but am considering it. Some questions:
- Are these moves cost-free in terms of AP?
- Do USSR HQ's create new support units if there are not enough?
Post #: 1
RE: Automatic attachment of support units - 1/12/2018 4:19:21 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: thedoctorking
- Are these moves cost-free in terms of AP?

Yes

quote:

- Do USSR HQ's create new support units if there are not enough?

No

(in reply to thedoctorking)
Post #: 2
RE: Automatic attachment of support units - 1/12/2018 4:35:01 PM   
thedoctorking

Is it a good idea? I guess I'll find out, I'm trying it in a game, giving a support level of 3 to USSR armies and 1 to corps.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 3
RE: Automatic attachment of support units - 1/12/2018 4:42:51 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

Is it a good idea? I guess I'll find out, I'm trying it in a game, giving a support level of 3 to USSR armies and 1 to corps.

I would certainly say yes. Usually I use the automatic system to move the SUs up a level each turn to the next level of command - this happens in your logistics phase before your turn so you still have them for your opponents phase but move to a rear area (presumably where the higher command is) which can reduce your supply needs. And then in your turn manually assign them down (for free if in the same chain of command - note there are two methods, push and pull, which have different results). So I have a constant rotation between automatically moving SUs up and manually assigning them down. But for some this is too much micromanagement.

If you use the automatic system to allocate SUs downwards beware it is only really suitable for your most numerous SU - usually artillery. As you only have one level of commitment for all types of SU what works for artillery would not work for tank battalions say and where they end up can be a bit random.

Post #: 4
RE: Automatic attachment of support units - 1/12/2018 10:03:32 PM   
thedoctorking

So you have your operational commands (USSR armies/corps and GE corps) set to 0 and your mid-level commands (fronts and armies) set to like 9? Then every turn you manually assign the SU's that you think each lower command needs? Or do you set the lower commands to like 2 or something?

Also: air commands. If you set them to 9 do they preferentially draw AA units? It would seem that those are the only type of SU they need.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 5
RE: Automatic attachment of support units - 1/12/2018 10:04:49 PM   
thedoctorking

And if a unit is assigned to an HQ manually during a turn, does it function normally in that turn? I ask because when I look at the HQ detail screen, units that have just been assigned have an asterisk next to their names. Leading me to fear that they aren't immediately effective.

Post #: 6
RE: Automatic attachment of support units - 1/12/2018 10:07:55 PM   
thedoctorking

If you want to assign an SU directly to a combat unit (GE division or SU corps after 1942), does it have to come from its immediate HQ or can it come from higher up? I found this very useful especially for engineer units in urban combat.

And if you have assigned SU directly to a combat unit, will the higher HQ recall these units in the logistics phase if they have a demand? Might be a useful feature if true.

Post #: 7
RE: Automatic attachment of support units - 1/12/2018 11:41:06 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

If you want to assign an SU directly to a combat unit (GE division or SU corps after 1942), does it have to come from its immediate HQ or can it come from higher up? I found this very useful especially for engineer units in urban combat.

And if you have assigned SU directly to a combat unit, will the higher HQ recall these units in the logistics phase if they have a demand? Might be a useful feature if true.

If you want to spent 1 AP you find the SU you want and click on the HQ link as you would reassigning any unit.

Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward. - Kurt Vonnegut

Post #: 8
RE: Automatic attachment of support units - 1/13/2018 1:10:26 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

So you have your operational commands (USSR armies/corps and GE corps) set to 0 and your mid-level commands (fronts and armies) set to like 9? Then every turn you manually assign the SU's that you think each lower command needs? Or do you set the lower commands to like 2 or something?

Personally I put ALL commands except the very highest command to 0 - which would mean after 3 turns all SUs (except construction and pioneers) would end up OKH or FHC (the Hungarian and Rumanian HQs under German HQs are more complicated). I do this because usually the highest command is the one I am sure will be on rails to minimise logistics for the SUs. Having lighter intermediate commands means I have less reason not to push them forward to improve their ratings checks by getting rid of range penalties. But also quite important having all SUs centrally pooled in one location is more efficient - I can allocate anyone I want to anywhere for free. The Axis have 3 flamms at the start of 1941 - if they were anywhere other than OKH I could not always guarantee any HQ or unit could assign them, and for free, anytime I wanted. However this is based mostly on my experience of playing Axis - others may have other ideas for Soviet play.

quote:

Also: air commands. If you set them to 9 do they preferentially draw AA units? It would seem that those are the only type of SU they need.

Yes they only draw AA - similarly I put them all to zero and manually assign down what I want during my turn. As (perhaps) FliegerKorps no longer participate in supplying their airbases and their ratings are the same whatever the distance, placement of FliegerKorps HQs seems to only matter for where you want the flak (which may be somewhere other than your airbases?)

quote:

And if a unit is assigned to an HQ manually during a turn, does it function normally in that turn? I ask because when I look at the HQ detail screen, units that have just been assigned have an asterisk next to their names. Leading me to fear that they aren't immediately effective.

Yes - it functions both before and after an assignment. The asterisk is only there to say you cannot reassign them again that turn.

quote:

If you want to assign an SU directly to a combat unit (GE division or SU corps after 1942), does it have to come from its immediate HQ or can it come from higher up?

No it can be assigned from any SU in range or up its chain of command.

quote:

Unfortunately not - to remove from direct assignment you have to do it manually. And it will cost you 1 point - which is not very well documented. As removing from direct assignment to its immediate HQ by pressing the X next to its name costs one point, or just reassigning it to another HQ costs one point, you may prefer to get into the habit of removing direct assignments by reassigning it to your high command say rather than just pressing the x next to its name.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Automatic attachment of support units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI