Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: The Chinese Had Panzers?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: The Chinese Had Panzers? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: The Chinese Had Panzers? - 1/20/2018 5:44:00 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

The U.S. cars never had sever rust problems until the seventies when all quality went out the window (well maybe with the exception of Ford, rust that is).

My memory is quite different.

All I will say is they don't build them like they used to.

Modern car: Sneeze at it and it ends up with a giant dent and a big spot where the paint blew off.
Pre-1960's car: Drive it through a brick wall and don't even scratch it.

Ok, bit of an exaggeration, but the truth is back in the day cars were made of heavy steel, had a nice thick coat of paint, and as a general rule did stand up to use and abuse a lot better. The car I currently have had the paint at the bottom of the door frame rubbed down to bare metal within the first 3 weeks because my foot drags against it while I get in. There is just not enough paint or top coat on there to stand up to any kind of repeated contact.

I'm just glad I live in the south where we don't have a lot of snow and ice, and aren't exposed to de-icing salt as much. Cars around here do tend to stay rust free much longer, even in these modern times.

As far as the vehicle standing up to bangs & bruises, sure. But not rust. I was a kid in Boston in the 1960's and I remember lots and lots of rust. Plenty of salt used on streets and roads in winter to counter lots of snow and ice. So many cars would just rust, rust, rust!

It used to be de regeure (sp?) up here to take your new car immediately to a body shop that does undercoating and lower panel innercoating (like doors) before you drove it in winter. They used a tar compound and it added about 100 lbs to the car's weight! They kept the car three days - one to wash and dry out the underside of the car, one to do the coatings and one to let the stink dissipate a bit!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 61
RE: OT: The Chinese Had Panzers? - 1/25/2018 6:10:00 PM   
fcooke

So, the first new car I bought was a Saab 900 turbo. 1988. No signicant problems in 30 years. Came to London with me when I lived over there (buying cars in London is pretty expensive). Just showing a few signs of rust now - I live in NJ so we have salt. Handles well in snow and is very quick. I have been approached numerous times at gas stations and asked if I would be willing to sell - seems the model is know as a good rally car. A couple of years ago the wife wanted a vehicle with four doors so we more easily move around some of our older family members. So we got an Audi sq5. A very nice vehicle that is all wheel drive. But came with high performance tires. First time it snowed I almost went off the road - I had assumed all wheel drive would make the rubber less relevant - my bad. So now have dedicated snows for it - still not as good in the snow as the 88. And it has recalled three times. One last funny, right after bought it we were driving in nyc - which should be avoided for the record - and got flagged down by a guy know needed a jump. Ok, no problem. Open the hood and like where the heck is the battery? Had to pull out manual to figure out it in Siberia and there are a couple of posts you connect to for cables. Then friend had his newish car die and had to jump him. His battery was at the rear of the car under a panel in the trunk.

I will be keeping the 88 that is intuitive to me. And a stick so fun to drive.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 62
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: The Chinese Had Panzers? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI