The Operational Art of War IV V. 4.0.1.23 is available!

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Daniele

The Operational Art of War IV V. 4.0.1.23 is available!

Post by Daniele »

Good news from the front! The Operational Art of War IV has reached a new important milestone, as version 4.0.1.23 is now available!

This new version brings a lot of bug fixes and improvements requested by the players, making the game deeper than ever!

Some highlights:

- Combat Planner now respects the Scaling factor in the opart 4 fonts.ini file.
- Fixed crash bug caused by using new scales
- The scrolling has been made easier
- A whole new scenario – Directive 41 – has been added
- And more!

The changelog is very long, so be sure to check it out below.

You can download the update from here.

New to the game? Watch these tutorials!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... FifnDA6Rr-

Version 4.0.1.23 Changelog

• Found and fixed the bug that causes the formation lines to show up
• Fixed issue with the AI not moving Ships. It may have prevented some land units from moving as well
• Fixed crash in AirAndFleetInterdiction
• Fixed issue with Chinese in diplomacy pouch
• Fixed issue with zoom in classic view leaving classic view
• Fixed issue with loading/saving non-game object like units
• Added titles over buttons in the new game dialog
• Fixed netAwards
• F1 now opens the manual
• Made scrolling easier
• Increased the scrolling area around the main map to 32 pixels
• Modified the dialog boxes so that the mouse capture no longer extends beyond the visible area
• Modified the dialog boxes so that the drag area is 15 pixels around the visible area
• Hid the warfare panel on screens equal to or smaller than 1024x768
• Diplomacy Pouch now wordwraps (Needs testing)
• Minor changes to the diplomacy panel and progress bar. The prophecies at the bottom were not aligned
• Combat Planner now respects the Scaling factor in the opart 4 fonts.ini file. If you go above about 1.5 there will be overlap.To help isolate and/or fix the problems some people are having with Chinese logins, if you add a file called DefaultFolder.txt file and put the path to the folder inside, it will use that instead of trying to find the my documents folder. To use this, you might create a folder called C:/TOAW and put contents of Documents/My Games/The Operational Art of War IV and all it's subfolders into it. Then launch TOAW as an administrator and it should work
• Game Select dialog now has labels for the buttons. This should help new players
• PBEM Errors should no longer leave you on a blank screen
• Removed the extra sound from the combat planner
• Modifed startup code to give better errors on startup issues
• Shifted units slightly in the smaller map views to look better
• MapPanelButtons is now draggable
• Tweaked the position of the counters on the map
• Fixed the issue with right scroll not working after changing from large to small map view
• Fixed the bug that was causing PBEM crashes
• Fixed DefaultFolder.txt file
• Fixed crash bug caused by using new scales
• Fixed issue with the game not registering that the mouse was moved to the default button
• Made a change that may help with the black boxes
• Fixed loading a unit into the editor
• Tooltips should now remain onscreen
• The editor will no longer crash with a bad OOB, instead it will try to clean it up and give warnings
• Did some more rewriting to make the scenario loading code even more bulletproof
• The mouse now works when clicking on more of the tabs on the button panel instead of the right half
• Hints no longer happen when a popup menu is open
• Supply over railroads when there is a RoadCost other than the default now work correctly
• I also modified the AirBorne cost when there is a RoadCost other than the default but haven't had a chance to test it
• Made a change that might help with the issue of the combat report dialog crashing
• The close dialog on the New Scenario Dialog now returns to the start screen
• Fixed saving JPGs
• To help diagnose an issue some people are having with pauses, if you open the Opart 4.ini file in Documents/My Games/The Operational Art of War IV and add a line labeled smallram=Y it may help
• Added in some updates to the expanded time and distance rules
• Added a Graphics entry under the [Scaling] section fo the Opart 4 Fonts.ini file. This upscales many of the graphics. Values greater than one make things bigger, values less than one make things smaller. This should be used with larger or smaller fonts
• Added a flag to the Opart file called HugeIcon. It will show up once you launch the new version and close it. It changes the icon on the unit panel to be ahuge_2D view
• Updated a number of scenarios to match their updates posted on the forum
• Added Directive 41 scenario
JapLance

RE: The Operational Art of War IV V. 4.0.1.23 is available!

Post by JapLance »

Since the numbering is the same, I assume that if we had already installed the latest beta patch we don't need to update again. Is this correct?
Greetings from Spain.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

ORIGINAL: JapLance

Since the numbering is the same, I assume that if we had already installed the latest beta patch we don't need to update again. Is this correct?

The official patch above contains updates to the localisations, as well as incorporating the updates to different scenarios (based on a state of late December, mostly taken from updates posted on the public Scenarios forum as well), PLUS the Directive 41 scenario which has already been posted in the Scenarios subforum, but it is now also part of the official offering.

So in short, I'd still recommend updating with the official patch.
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

how does one apply the patch to an ongoing PBEM. does player 1 update, run his turn and sends; then player 2 updates before running the turn?

Thanks
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Tamas

Post by Tamas »

ORIGINAL: cantona2

how does one apply the patch to an ongoing PBEM. does player 1 update, run his turn and sends; then player 2 updates before running the turn?

Thanks

Yes.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

Thanks for the fixes, I notice some really good ones that were not in the beta patches.

"Combat Planner now respects the Scaling factor in the opart 4 fonts.ini file."
"Fixed issue with the game not registering that the mouse was moved to the default button "

Especially thanks for these [&o]

Btw, there really should be a line break before "To help isolate" as I assume it's not the same issue with Chinese localization.

And thanks for the DefaultFolder.txt fix, it will also help those of us who don't want to save hundreds of megs in the Documents folder [:)]
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

ORIGINAL: Tamas

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Thanks

Yes.

Thanks
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

rocketman71

Post by rocketman71 »

I still get the CTD when scrolling in the combat report using "drag" (mouse click+move).
Also, tried Pearl Harbor scenario after patching and the map is all sea hexes, even the mini map. Played as Japanese and had no units to move. Then in the US turn Pearl Harbor appeared briefly on the map but then disappeared again.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: rocketboy

Also, tried Pearl Harbor scenario after patching and the map is all sea hexes, even the mini map. Played as Japanese and had no units to move. Then in the US turn Pearl Harbor appeared briefly on the map but then disappeared again.

The map is so large you even have to scroll the jump map.

Also, there should be a unit in the Unit Panel. Click on it and it will take you to the Jap Fleet. But you have to scroll the jump map to get Pearl Harbor in view.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
rocketman71

Post by rocketman71 »

Found it waaaay south [:D]
But when I play Japanese side Pearl Harbor does not show up on mini map, but as the US side it does. In any case, not much happens in the scenario before it is over. Oh well, on to the next one.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Found it waaaay south [:D]
In any case, not much happens in the scenario before it is over.

Should be plenty of carrier air strikes on Pearl Harbor ships & such before it is over.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Hey Bob, give him the link to your Pearl Harbor AAR. That will
explain everything.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Hey Bob, give him the link to your Pearl Harbor AAR. That will
explain everything.

That AAR is here:

tm.asp?m=3770284

Note that it was run under TOAW III, so damage had to be seen via the TOAW_Log. That's no longer the case - the Combat Chart will show the damage inflicted.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
DanNeely

Post by DanNeely »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

The map is so large you even have to scroll the jump map.

Also, there should be a unit in the Unit Panel. Click on it and it will take you to the Jap Fleet. But you have to scroll the jump map to get Pearl Harbor in view.

Not of you have a tall enough monitor. Depending on how the top/bottom of the screen limit its max size 1920x1200 looks iffy (looks like it would be either right at the margins or just barely need scrolling); but anyone with a 1440p or better screen should be able to see the whole thing easily; it's only ~1100 pixels tall.
Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius
Silvanski

Post by Silvanski »

The folder "Ardennes 1944" in the Graphics Override folder contains the "Operation Overlord 1944.eqp" file!!!
The TOAW Redux Dude
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

The folder "Ardennes 1944" in the Graphics Override folder contains the "Operation Overlord 1944.eqp" file!!!
Just rename it... it works with Hawkeye's Ardennes '44; I tested the beta of it. No big deal, but shouldn't happen.

To the newbies: Rename Operation Overlord 1944.eqp to Ardennes 1944.eqp

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
philj

Post by philj »

Getting 'An error occured while trying to open an FTP message' unable to download file when I run update from the first splash screen. Is there an alternative way to download?
[:(]

OK done it now
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: philj

Getting 'An error occured while trying to open an FTP message' unable to download file when I run update from the first splash screen. Is there an alternative way to download?
[:(]
Go to the support site, login and you can download it from the members club.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
gregb41352

Post by gregb41352 »

I downloaded the update from the members area but I can't get it to install.....
it hangs and ultimately fails to install. Ideas?
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: gregb41352

I downloaded the update from the members area but I can't get it to install.....
it hangs and ultimately fails to install. Ideas?
Potential issues - Anti-Virus Software, the .ZIP of the download somehow got corrupted, but... unzip it and if that works, start the installer in Admin mode.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”