Problem with extended display

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
nukkxx5058

Problem with extended display

Post by nukkxx5058 »

The picture speaks for itself. I think the popup should be ordered to remain on the same dispaly as the game when running in extended desktop. Hope this can be fixed on day ...

Attachments
toaw.jpg
toaw.jpg (211.49 KiB) Viewed 51 times
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
Oberst_Klink

RE: Problem with extended display

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Alors!

Check this thread - tm.asp?m=4379197
Make sure you got beta 4.0.1.23 - tm.asp?m=4385645

With the latter installed, you can use the option
[Scaling]
Graphics=1.0

in your Opart 4 Fonts.ini file.

Klink, Obest
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Yes, I just installed the beta patch and it fixes the problem. Wunderbach !!
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

There is one more issue with extended desktop. When I want to scroll to the right right (my secondary screen is on the right) the mouse don't stay inside the primary screen but moves to the secondary screen making it more difficult to scroll the screen to the right as I have to stop my mouse just in the active zone before changing screen.
I suppose this is not possible to fix as it's a windows feature but I prefer to ask, just in case ...
thx
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

There is one more issue with extended desktop. When I want to scroll to the right right (my secondary screen is on the right) the mouse don't stay inside the primary screen but moves to the secondary screen making it more difficult to scroll the screen to the right as I have to stop my mouse just in the active zone before changing screen.
I suppose this is not possible to fix as it's a windows feature but I prefer to ask, just in case ...
thx
2 screens I haven't tried yet, but there's a shortcut/hotkey I think to switch between 2 screens... If not, just use ALT+TAB to switch between the applications. If you dare, have a look at this though:
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1735712

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

The edge of screen scrolling is a real issue when using multi-monitors, as the game doesn't lock the mouse cursor to the window.

I don't really use the mouse scrolling that much, but I've found that using this application can help a lot:
https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming/releases

Install it, and when it and the game runs, enable "Use Mouse Lock Hotkey" under Options. This should lock the mouse cursor to the internal game window when you press Scroll Lock to toggle it. Just remember you won't be able to access the drop-down menus while this is active, so toggle it off when you need.

You should also move the TOAW window into Favorites there, so it will apply automatically. I also use it to remove the window titlebar for more screen space.
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

I think it's linked to the fact that the game runs in a window. It then has the same behaviour as let's say Firefox. My mouse cursor will freely move from firefox on the left screen to any other program on the right screen without the need of any alt-tabing. This is the preciseley the point of the extended desktop. I think that the problem is in the code of the game. There should be an instruction telling the mouse cursor to stay trapped inside the game's window. And then, yes, alt-tab would be the solution to navigate from one window (TOAW) to another (e.g. firefox).
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

I think it's linked to the fact that the game runs in a window. It then has the same behaviour as let's say Firefox. My mouse cursor will freely move from firefox on the left screen to any other program on the right screen without the need of any alt-tabing. This is the preciseley the point of the extended desktop. I think that the problem is in the code of the game. There should be an instruction telling the mouse cursor to stay trapped inside the game's window. And then, yes, alt-tab would be the solution to navigate from one window (TOAW) to another (e.g. firefox).

True - it's all a matter of coding it to work that way. So we can always hope the dev gets the time to do something about it and implement a cursor lock while the game is active. Most 3D games do that, and Alt+Tab releases the mouse.

The recent changes in the patch to make the scroll-area larger has helped a lot I think.

I still think mouse scrolling is a relic of the past, of single-monitor setups and exclusive-fullscreen games, and causes all kinds of issues in modern games running in a window. Most players of newer games would expect WASD to move the map anyway, since it would fit in with how it works in FPS and RTS games. I have re-mapped the keys to WASD and rarely use mouse scrolling as I find it clunky.
- Norm Koger
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Will have a look at your link above.

One question : how did you remap the keyboard to WASD ?? That would be a good solution for me too...
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: Shadrach

The edge of screen scrolling is a real issue when using multi-monitors, as the game doesn't lock the mouse cursor to the window.

I don't really use the mouse scrolling that much, but I've found that using this application can help a lot:
https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming/releases

Install it, and when it and the game runs, enable "Use Mouse Lock Hotkey" under Options. This should lock the mouse cursor to the internal game window when you press Scroll Lock to toggle it. Just remember you won't be able to access the drop-down menus while this is active, so toggle it off when you need.

You should also move the TOAW window into Favorites there, so it will apply automatically. I also use it to remove the window titlebar for more screen space.

BRILLIANT !!!! Perfect. Wow good stuff. Thanks man !
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

No worries, glad to hear it did the trick [:)]

As to overriding the keys, until the game allows us to edit our own keys, I use a small AutoHotkey script (attached)

It's a text file, open in Notepad to examine, I have commented the different overrides. Just ignore the part at the bottom below the /*** part, it's just my testing [:)]

My personal preferences of course, I like to have the buttons I use the most near the WASD keys. And I've changed Space to Plan Battle since it makes more sense, and V to toggle View units.

You need AHK too of course:
https://autohotkey.com/
Pretty simple to install, then just double click the AHK file to run it. It should only activate when the game is the active window. Press the Pause key to suspend it - if you need to enter text for instance.
Attachments
TOAW4Autohotkey.zip
(999 Bytes) Downloaded 13 times
- Norm Koger
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Thanks mate, will definitely have a look ! I'll let you know.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

No worries, glad to hear it did the trick [:)]

As to overriding the keys, until the game allows us to edit our own keys, I use a small AutoHotkey script (attached)

It's a text file, open in Notepad to examine, I have commented the different overrides. Just ignore the part at the bottom below the /*** part, it's just my testing [:)]

My personal preferences of course, I like to have the buttons I use the most near the WASD keys. And I've changed Space to Plan Battle since it makes more sense, and V to toggle View units.

You need AHK too of course:
https://autohotkey.com/
Pretty simple to install, then just double click the AHK file to run it. It should only activate when the game is the active window. Press the Pause key to suspend it - if you need to enter text for instance.
Hi Shadrach, I tried you scrip :-) Great stuff ! You're DA man !thanks. WASD forever :-)[8D]
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

Hi Shadrach, I tried you scrip :-) Great stuff ! You're DA man !thanks. WASD forever :-)[8D]

Hehe, very happy to hear that, glad you're enjoying it [:D]
I don't think I would be able to play being forced to use the arrow keys with the left hand, so clunky.

You hear that devs - we need key remap! [&o]
- Norm Koger
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

+1

Your script is perfect. Easy to use, or ... to stop using and return to the base mapping (press Pause). But WASD is a must ;-) Other remaps are cool too. Love it !
See devs ? [:D]
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

Hehe, very happy to hear that, glad you're enjoying it [:D]
I don't think I would be able to play being forced to use the arrow keys with the left hand, so clunky.

You hear that devs - we need key remap! [&o]
It's too much work for now for the current version. If I ever rewrite for Unity or Unreal, it will happen, they have things already built to decouple the keyboard from the action.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
berto

Post by berto »

I bought a stand-alone numeric USB keypad (Insignia, ~$10) for scrolling the TOAW IV map. I place it on the left side of the standard keyboard. Thus I have arrow control keys both to the left and the right, for use by either hand. Works for me.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Return to “Tech Support”