Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Jap player has not enough support

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Jap player has not enough support Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Jap player has not enough support - 1/6/2018 9:44:18 PM   
morphin

Hi
I roughly calculated the total LCU Support Required (about 60'000) and the maximal support (about 55'000).

So as japan wil have most offen about 10% undersupported LCU's on bases and you can not do anything against (execpt modding the scenario)...

Andy
Post #: 1
RE: Jap player has not enough support - 1/6/2018 10:24:14 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

You better don't play DaBabes mod then... support is roughly reduced by 1/3 to make it closer to historical

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 2
RE: Jap player has not enough support - 1/6/2018 10:55:32 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: morphin

Hi
I roughly calculated the total LCU Support Required (about 60'000) and the maximal support (about 55'000).

So as japan wil have most offen about 10% undersupported LCU's on bases and you can not do anything against (execpt modding the scenario)...

Andy

Units in the field do not get all the support they would like - no showers, no medical tent, no cook shack and mess hall. When they get worn down by weeks without those things they are supposed to rotate to bases for R&R while other units replace them in the field. That would be historical and I think the game designers purposely did not provide enough support for units to last indefinitely in the field.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 3
RE: Jap player has not enough support - 1/7/2018 12:20:32 AM   
John 3rd

Have you studied the war? Very seldom did Japan EVER have enough support...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Jap player has not enough support - 1/7/2018 6:30:00 AM   
morphin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

You better don't play DaBabes mod then... support is roughly reduced by 1/3 to make it closer to historical

It is BigB Mode...

But i can't remember that in 2012 as i started WITP that this was also the case in this amount. Maybe BigB has also reduced the support a little bit... (I have the check with stock scenario)

I know i had to fight with supply, but not with support. Support in LCU is static(connected to LCU that YOU can't change), but supply is the material that i remembered that i have to worry more...

Andy

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 5
RE: Jap player has not enough support - 1/7/2018 7:02:39 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Have you studied the war? Very seldom did Japan EVER have enough support...

1. Yes, I am aware Japan thought every man should be a warrior and neglected support for troops.
2. But the developers have stated several times that they were not going for strict historical accuracy, they were designing a game and had the ability to boost support squads to make it more playable for the Japanese player.
3. However, I am sure they did not want to make support squads equal the non-support squads because that would make units more resilient than they actually were. So the 10% shortage the OP mentioned sounds pretty reasonable to me.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6
RE: Jap player has not enough support - 1/7/2018 7:35:42 AM   
GetAssista

Global fewer than 1:1 support is not really that important factor for Japan. Support helps you with rest and recuperation of disabled squads and devices, and is not that needed in a peaceful time except for malaria/cold hexes. So Japan has to pay more attention to concentrating support where it is needed that's all. Historical enough for me.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Jap player has not enough support - 1/7/2018 4:29:40 PM   
Big B

Hello morphin,

No - I did NOT reduce support - all that is stock.
As a matter of fact, because of anticipated player reaction - I made a deliberate choice not to 'take away' anything from the player (baseline stock).

B

quote:

ORIGINAL: morphin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

It is BigB Mode...

But i can't remember that in 2012 as i started WITP that this was also the case in this amount. Maybe BigB has also reduced the support a little bit... (I have the check with stock scenario)

I know i had to fight with supply, but not with support. Support in LCU is static(connected to LCU that YOU can't change), but supply is the material that i remembered that i have to worry more...

Andy

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 8
RE: Jap player has not enough support - 1/7/2018 6:07:34 PM   
rustysi

Units 'behind the lines' require less support, especially in a decent sized base with good supply. Units 'at the front' may be augmented with HQ's. Even then they won't fight indefinitely. They may just be pixels, but they're supposed to represent men. Can you say PTSD.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 9
RE: Jap player has not enough support - 1/9/2018 5:06:47 AM   
Yaab

Insufficient support in Jap LCUs is by design. As the Japs, you get by by cannibalising other LCUs. Just like in the RL.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 1/9/2018 6:14:39 AM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 10
RE: Jap player has not enough support - 1/9/2018 11:24:57 AM   
HansBolter

Most units below division size do not have sufficient organic support.

This is true for all armies of the era.

It is likely still true for most modern armies.

Units below division size are expected to be attached to a larger unit for the support they need.

The division is considered the smallest unit capable of self support in the field.

Anywhere either side amasses a grouping of brigade/regiment or smaller units without also having a base force present will suffer a shortfall in necessary support.

Sufficient support, or lack thereof is a very localized phenomenon.

Hans

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 11
RE: Jap player has not enough support - 1/9/2018 6:42:33 PM   
InfiniteMonkey

What they said. Pick up Rikugun: Guide to Japanese Ground Forces 1937-1945: Vol 1 & 2. The kindle versions will only set you back $3.99 and $1.99. Vol 1 details the makeup of units from the squad all the way up to the various division types as well as how they varied over time. There's a lot of troops involved in support ops on the division level that do not exist at lower levels.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 12
RE: Jap player has not enough support - 1/9/2018 10:27:25 PM   
John 3rd

I don't have either of those books in the library. Looks like I need to fix that!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to InfiniteMonkey)
Post #: 13
RE: Jap player has not enough support - 1/9/2018 10:42:12 PM   
John 3rd

Thanks. Just ordered both books!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Jap player has not enough support Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI