Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

D-Day at Tarawa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> D-Day at Tarawa Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
D-Day at Tarawa - 1/4/2018 6:06:05 PM   
Dr. Foo

Anyone have this? I haven't seen any in-depth reviews of the PC version. At $24 bucks I might just have to check it out, it's a solitaire game so I'm not sure how much flexibility there is or replay value.

Thank you!

https://shop.decisiongames.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2109

< Message edited by Dr. Foo -- 1/4/2018 6:19:07 PM >

*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
Post #: 1
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/4/2018 7:04:30 PM   
Red2112

A friend got it and said he could not get it to work. Thatīs all I know...

Win10(x64), i5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, Zotac GTX 1060 6GB, Logitech G13, G502, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR 5.0, Corsair Void Pro 7.1 USB.

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 2
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/4/2018 7:27:32 PM   
Dr. Foo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red2112

A friend got it and said he could not get it to work. Thatīs all I know...

Thanks I've read similar things about D-Day Omaha Beach.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 3
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/5/2018 8:03:26 AM   
Noypi53

These games (Omaha & Tarawa) are the digital versions of the board games. It doesn't have an AI like the computer games here in MatrixGames if that's what your friend meant by it's not working. Cards provide the AI part of the game which are drawn each turn.

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 4
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/5/2018 8:59:12 AM   
Red2112

In D-Day at Omaha Beach, if you look under the "additional Information" tab it says...

- LATEST PATCH -10/20/2017
- Solitaire (1 player game)
- Has AI

http://shop.decisiongames.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2107

Also, the description mentions control (The game system controls the hidden German defenders in Widerstandsnest resistance points on the bluffs overlooking the beaches.)

Full description:

D-Day at Omaha Beach recreates America’s most bloody and heroic day of World War II. In this solitaire game from the designer of the solo classics RAF and Ambush, you control the forces of the US 1st and 29th Divisions landing under fire on the Normandy shore, and struggling desperately to establish a viable beachhead.

US units include assault infantry, amphibious tanks, artillery, engineers and HQs. The game system controls the hidden German defenders in Widerstandsnest resistance points on the bluffs overlooking the beaches. US forces that manage to break through the deadly coastal defenses and reach the high ground must then contend with German mobile reinforcements in the bewildering hedgerows of Normandy’s bocage. An innovative diceless combat system highlights unknown enemy deployments and the importance of utilizing the right weapons and tactics.

Event cards keep the action flowing and the rules simple, while controlling German strategy and introducing extensive historical detail. The game includes amphibious landings, German artillery and rocket barrages, US naval bombardment, tides, engineer operations, and intangibles such as US leadership under fire and the initiative of the American GIs.

--

All there PC solitaire games state that they have AI, so a bit confusign overall...

Red

PD.: My friend could not get the game to start, had nothing to do with the AI!
--

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 1/5/2018 2:43:30 PM >

Win10(x64), i5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, Zotac GTX 1060 6GB, Logitech G13, G502, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR 5.0, Corsair Void Pro 7.1 USB.

(in reply to Noypi53)
Post #: 5
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/5/2018 9:10:07 AM   
Red2112

@Noypi53

What your saying would match the case of there "War in Europe PC" which has NO AI, Itīs just a way to manage the game and play via PBEM, as well as use of editor function...

http://shop.decisiongames.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2100

Same goes for there "Pattonīs First Victory"...
http://shop.decisiongames.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2104

Red

--

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 1/5/2018 9:14:08 AM >

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 6
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/5/2018 2:03:24 PM   
rocketman71

I have both Omaha and Tarawa and really like the games, warts and all...
The UI is clunky and not that intuitive. You really need to know the boardgames to understand the PC game fully (Youtube is your friend).
There are some oddities and bugs lingering, hopefully there will be an additional patch to both.
If you can stand these things the base game design is elegant and VERY challenging. Bordering on unforgiving. But I like a stiff challenge.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 7
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/5/2018 2:41:24 PM   
Red2112

quote:

ORIGINAL: rocketboy

I have both Omaha and Tarawa and really like the games, warts and all...
The UI is clunky and not that intuitive. You really need to know the boardgames to understand the PC game fully (Youtube is your friend).
There are some oddities and bugs lingering, hopefully there will be an additional patch to both.
If you can stand these things the base game design is elegant and VERY challenging. Bordering on unforgiving. But I like a stiff challenge.

Thanks for your input Rockeboy! So dose that mean both have AI? BTW RAF is there too

(in reply to rocketman71)
Post #: 8
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/5/2018 3:22:53 PM   
rocketman71

The boardgames are designed for solitaire play only, so the PC version just uses that system, with some minor changes. What I like is that the limited amount of actions you have each phase, every decision matters a lot. It is very tense that way. And you know that whatever you do, there will be severe casualties, it is all a matter of how to deal with it in the best way.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 9
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/5/2018 4:57:45 PM   
Red2112

Thank you Rocketboy! Hope that makes it clear to all of us.

Post #: 10
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/5/2018 5:37:43 PM   
Dr. Foo

quote:

The boardgames are designed for solitaire play only, so the PC version just uses that system, with some minor changes. What I like is that the limited amount of actions you have each phase, every decision matters a lot. It is very tense that way. And you know that whatever you do, there will be severe casualties, it is all a matter of how to deal with it in the best way.

That sounds pretty cool. How do you feel about replay value? As there may be limited decisions but each one can play out differently each replay.

Post #: 11
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/5/2018 6:31:25 PM   
rocketman71

I haven't played that many games, but my impression is that replay value is high. In both games, the randomness of the landings makes things change a lot and for example in Omaha, just which defensive positions you initially manage to suppress changes the direction of your approach. Also, in both games there are variants that changes some aspects of the game for change itself, but also to make it easier/harder. But generally, which units that become casualties tend to take the game in new directions and you have to change tactics accordingly. The games can also be played at different lengths and starting points.

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 12
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/5/2018 6:34:50 PM   
Dr. Foo

quote:

I haven't played that many games, but my impression is that replay value is high. In both games, the randomness of the landings makes things change a lot and for example in Omaha, just which defensive positions you initially manage to suppress changes the direction of your approach. Also, in both games there are variants that changes some aspects of the game for change itself, but also to make it easier/harder. But generally, which units that become casualties tend to take the game in new directions and you have to change tactics accordingly. The games can also be played at different lengths and starting points.

Thanks, I think I'm going to give it a try. It does sound like there are many different directions the game can take making it highly re-playable.

Post #: 13
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/6/2018 12:11:34 AM   
Rosseau

I can't even find one screenshot of what the computer game looks like. The patch has an AI. Does that mean you don't have to play both sides? Is it downloadable or CD in the mail with an additional shipping charge? Thanks.

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 14
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/6/2018 1:26:59 PM   
Red2112

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

I can't even find one screenshot of what the computer game looks like. The patch has an AI. Does that mean you don't have to play both sides? Is it downloadable or CD in the mail with an additional shipping charge? Thanks.

Itīs only CD via mail + shipping. The problem I see is for us in Europe, with the customs fee!

I think some of us are missing the concept here...

The original boardgame is intended for "solo play", which means you play out the OPFOR with the games "system rules" for the OPFOR, you then follow the rules for your own game/side turn. In a nutshell, thereīs rules (system) for the AI (OPFOR) and rules for the allied. That dosenīt mean you might not have to move/place a card/counter yourself somewhere on the board for the OPFOR (AI). Just guessing mind you...

Like other "solo" games systems, you might need to do some dice rolls against a chart/events to see what the OPFOR is going to do in responce to your recent action.

I donīt know the D-Day Omaha Beach game mechanics/rules, but most solo games have similar systems etiher with charts or cards. "The Hunters" for example uses charts for AI, and U-Boat Leader uses charts and cards for AI. Itīs up to the dev, but could be a mix of charts, cards, text etc.

Owners will sure answer your cuestion alot better.

I too are thinking about these games from DG, but last time I asked in another forum was the above friend did not get it to work, so I forgot about them. It seems from folks here that DG has fixed some issues and people are playing them.

I do have a doubt, do you need to have the CD in your drive in order to play, or is it just for installation? Because I donīt have a CD drive, just a portable CD drive I use when needed. It would also be good to know what OS is being used to play, most of us are in W10.

Red

--

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 1/6/2018 1:37:25 PM >

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 15
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/6/2018 2:39:19 PM   
rocketman71

You can email sales at Decision Games and arrange for a digital download only, but you have to do the purchase the regular way. I did that for both Tarawa and Omaha. Wouldn't have bought it unless. The game looks almost exactly like the boardgame with some additional info like likelihood to take casualties in different hexes. Gameplay for the opposite side is swift. You basically won't have to do anything (other than die ). You don't have to keep track of anything, but most player aids from the boardgame is included for reference.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 16
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/6/2018 3:32:36 PM   
Red2112

Oh, thats great news that you can arrange for a digital download!

Thank you Rocketboy!

Post #: 17
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/7/2018 12:29:47 AM   
Rosseau

Well the board game looks nice, and digital download is appealing - all for $25. Thanks for the info. I prefer Omaha, but guessing Tarawa may have updated features that haven't been back-ported to the older game.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 18
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/7/2018 12:33:48 AM   
rocketman71

I like Omaha more, both as a game and the setting - but Tarawa's production is a bit slicker.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 19
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/8/2018 6:14:46 PM   
Dr. Foo

No digital download, no sale for me. I sent sales and email on Friday but still have not heard anything. Seriously, it's 2018...waiting for a CD in the mail is ridiculous.

Post #: 20
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/8/2018 7:59:08 PM   
rocketman71

Sales are not quick to reply in most cases but hang in there and you will get a digital download sorted out eventually. And yes, no formal digital download option in this day and age is just plain stupid, a missed business opportunity - something I have emailed Decision Games about before.

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 21
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/9/2018 5:21:36 AM   
Red2112

Yes I agree, they seem a bit on the slow side. My friend how bought the CD of Omaha waited something like 20 days before it got to Europe/house! I also e-mailed them about the download and what games would work on Win-10 (WolfPack, RAF) right after the post, but also, no news yet.

Any how, will just wait...

Post #: 22
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/9/2018 4:02:44 PM   
Red2112

Did get a mail today saying that my request has been forward to proper department and will respond ASAP. Itīs automated thought

Well, canīt say they didnt get back!

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 23
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/9/2018 8:30:36 PM   
Dr. Foo

I got an email from a live person from sales. They told me to give them my billing address and they will send me instructions. So we'll see...

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 24
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/9/2018 10:49:09 PM   
Rosseau

Thanks guys for checking this out. If you give the game a good review, I will go for it

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 25
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/10/2018 5:00:09 PM   
Dr. Foo

Well, I will say they are very accommodating and made getting a digital download very easy. I don't see why they just don't offer the option. Had I not read it here I never would have thought to asked, I just saw shipping and thought, no thanks.

So I got the game and will dive into what I'm sure is a steep learning curve later.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 26
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/10/2018 9:44:43 PM   
Dr. Foo

OK...there is a really good Youtube series on the game, but not for the PC. As far as I can tell it's pretty much the same game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG1YutlOw3s&list=PLGzPQE7vBJU9gHLjBbccjUXdGrmIlCf8m

Anyone know if there are any tutorials for the PC version?

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 27
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/11/2018 1:48:01 AM   
Rosseau

So the computer version is supposed to be like the board game, with an AI phase so you are not playing both sides like we do in World in Flames.

Let us know what you think of the gameplay, Dr.

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 28
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/11/2018 2:59:10 PM   
rocketman71

You are correct, no need to do any work for the Japanese side. They will kill you on automatic

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 29
RE: D-Day at Tarawa - 1/11/2018 3:10:30 PM   
Dr. Foo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

So the computer version is supposed to be like the board game, with an AI phase so you are not playing both sides like we do in World in Flames.

Let us know what you think of the gameplay, Dr.

Well, the map is very crisp and clean, the units looks sharp and it's all easy to read. You can zoom way out or way in. Gameplay is good and I did not encounter any bugs or crashes, it will not let you proceed to the next phase if you forget something, so that's cool.

Then there is the WTF is going on factor. Lots of trial and error. The manual is written for the board game not the PC. So there are things the PC version does automatically and then there things you have to do, like place units into LVT's just adding LVT's to the stack does not load the troops...wading to the beach is not fun!

I've only played a few turns, it's not easy to figure out what exactly happened. I'm still in the very early learning phase.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> D-Day at Tarawa Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI