Coastal Artillery Question

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Dr. Foo

Coastal Artillery Question

Post by Dr. Foo »

I've noticed when a naval unit is engaged by sea interdiction by coastal artillery the coastal artillery unit is eliminated. Is this working as intended?
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
larryfulkerson

RE: Coastal Artillery Question

Post by larryfulkerson »

I've had that happen too. I'd like to know the answer myself.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Dr. Foo

I've noticed when a naval unit is engaged by sea interdiction by coastal artillery the coastal artillery unit is eliminated. Is this working as intended?
Counterbattery from the naval unit.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Counterbattery from the naval unit.

Thank you, but if I take the exact same unit and change it to a regular artillery unit the naval unit is unable to eliminate it through naval bombardment. If it is coastal artillery it's toast, if it's artillery it survives, but will not conduct sea interdiction.

I need to do more testing of different situations.
PatSpe

Post by PatSpe »

I think the coastal artillery units get destroyed when they get a retreat result against them, i.e when the ships fire back. Is all coastal artillery fixed?
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

ORIGINAL: PatSpe

I think the coastal artillery units get destroyed when they get a retreat result against them, i.e when the ships fire back. Is all coastal artillery fixed?

Yes, the coastal artillery icon is a fixed unit, so the retreat explanation makes sense. In testing though the same ship firing against the same coastal artillery with the icon changed to regular artillery does not result in a retreat.

A ship has a 100% chance of completely eliminated coastal artillery but a next to nothing chance of eliminating regular artillery.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

The regular artillery can displace but the coastal units are fixed and therefore sitting ducks ? Naval units will usually take damage from the coast artillery before they are silenced.
Cabido

Post by Cabido »

But the retreat explanation makes no sense. You can have a plausible explanation for normal fixed units being treated differently from coastal units, due to the greater exposition of the last, as stated by Lobster. Or based on retreat, as in the post, even if I can't judge it's plausibility. But what would explain the fact that the same coastal unit being fired upon by the same vessel is always eliminated with counter fire (after interdiction) and be able to survive ten rounds with normal bombardment? What would explain the EXTREMELY MORE EFFECTIVE power of counter fire vs simple bombardment from the same vessel with the same guns?

I'm not comparing normal fixed guns with coastal guns anymore. It's just that:

A fires at B with counter fire for one round. B is always eliminated.
A fires at B with normal bombardment order. B can survive ten rounds of bombardment.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: Cabido

But the retreat explanation makes no sense.

They should not retreat at all. I can see them retreating when attacked by land but not from ship to shore fire. That makes no sense. These things need to be handled differently. Some changes in the new naval stuff should be done so these guns are either disabled or disorganized (silenced). If silenced they can be reactivated. If disabled they can no longer fire. Also, there needs to be different levels of coastal guns. Casements and open fortifications. I'm kind of curious how so much time could be spent on the naval side and this gets missed. [;)]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

But the retreat explanation makes no sense. You can have a plausible explanation for normal fixed units being treated differently from coastal units, due to the greater exposition of the last, as stated by Lobster. Or based on retreat, as in the post, even if I can't judge it's plausibility. But what would explain the fact that the same coastal unit being fired upon by the same vessel is always eliminated with counter fire (after interdiction) and be able to survive ten rounds with normal bombardment? What would explain the EXTREMELY MORE EFFECTIVE power of counter fire vs simple bombardment from the same vessel with the same guns?

I'm not comparing normal fixed guns with coastal guns anymore. It's just that:

A fires at B with counter fire for one round. B is always eliminated.
A fires at B with normal bombardment order. B can survive ten rounds of bombardment.

Cabido, I noted your comment reminded me of similar comments regarding the difference in effectiveness of computer-controlled air interdiction strikes versus player-directed air bombardment. As in,
My original complaint still stands...why are BOMBARDMENT ATTACKS (especially using airpower) so weak vis a vis computer initiated INTERDICTION ATTACKS (which appear to be quite effective and even dont seem to suffer losses like the Bombardments).

So, once more, for the record...Air power AS A WHOLE seems OK in its effects....this is largely because Interdiction IS effective. Bombardment by air is completely ineffective, even when called in on the SAME target status (ie, mobile and moving along a road or clear area). I contend that the disparity should not be anywhere NEAR this great.

That from this thread: tm.asp?m=1173428&mpage=5&key=

That was from the TOAW III days, not sure if the issue was ever addressed in the form of a change to the code.

Cheers
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

One thing about interdiction vs bombing troops. Interdiction takes place during movement. That would assume troops are generally exposed. Bombardment takes place while troops are not moving. That would assume troops are dispersed.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

One thing about interdiction vs bombing troops. Interdiction takes place during movement. That would assume troops are generally exposed. Bombardment takes place while troops are not moving. That would assume troops are dispersed.

Lobster, I understand what you're saying but non-moving troops get hit by interdiction as well (and MY is it effective!). I've seen this with an immobile SAM battery. SAMs got hammered by interdiction, so somehow they got identified as a "target of opportunity". Player directed air strikes were much less effective, although theoretically the SAM unit's deployment state had not altered.

Cheers
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Sorry, only play WW2 and never had a non moving unit interdicted. I can see how an active SAM site would be interdicted simply because it is active and yes, it is VERY effective. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Weasel

cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

Sorry, only play WW2 and never had a non moving unit interdicted. I can see how an active SAM site would be interdicted simply because it is active and yes, it is VERY effective. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Weasel

Okay. But is that what the game is simulating, or is this something else in code that happens to look like SAM suppression with anti-radiation missiles? Time to run the lab scenario again.

Cheers
Cabido

Post by Cabido »

Guys, just to settle down the problem with coastal guns. I've seen the discussion now is about air interdiction of troops. Maybe the game treats interdiction and bombardment differently in that case, yet the manual says nothing about it. But regarding coastal guns, we can fall into the trap of taking the game as an oracle which messages must be interpreted and justified. Even if I don't know anything about naval warfare, there is clearly a bug with counter fire against coastal guns interdiction.

As you can see in the image attached, they can survive bombardments from a naval vessel for 9 rounds, here. They would be eliminated in one round by the counter fire of the same naval vessel after they try to interdict it, as noted in the first post of the parallel thread (tm.asp?m=4591514). Notice that here we can't justify it by saying the guns are dispersed or housed when idle, for the simple fact that in both situation they are actively firing. When interdicting, they fire first and suffer counter fire; when bombarded, they counter fire themselves (see the damage caused B(1) in the picture).

Maybe the problem is just with coastal guns. Maybe it is extending to other parts of the game, but it is important to notice that here, the problem isn't that the interdiction fire is more effective, but that the counter fire against interdicting coastal guns is infinitely more effective. The interdicting unit is the one being eliminated.

Attachments
bombard.jpg
bombard.jpg (103.55 KiB) Viewed 520 times
secadegas

Post by secadegas »

Guys, just to settle down the problem with coastal guns. I've seen the discussion now is about air interdiction of troops. Maybe the game treats interdiction and bombardment differently in that case, yet the manual says nothing about it. But regarding coastal guns, we can fall into the trap of taking the game as an oracle which messages must be interpreted and justified. Even if I don't know anything about naval warfare, there is clearly a bug with counter fire against coastal guns interdiction.

As you can see in the image attached, they can survive bombardments from a naval vessel for 9 rounds, here. They would be eliminated in one round by the counter fire of the same naval vessel after they try to interdict it, as noted in the first post of the parallel thread (tm.asp?m=4591514). Notice that here we can't justify it by saying the guns are dispersed or housed when idle, for the simple fact that in both situation they are actively firing. When interdicting, they fire first and suffer counter fire; when bombarded, they counter fire themselves (see the damage caused B(1) in the picture).

Maybe the problem is just with coastal guns. Maybe it is extending to other parts of the game, but it is important to notice that here, the problem isn't that the interdiction fire is more effective, but that the counter fire against interdicting coastal guns is infinitely more effective. The interdicting unit is the one being eliminated.

I'd add that this bug reported by Cabido is 100% repeatable using any other scenario.

gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

Lobster,

Defending (dug in) infantry is definitely not "dispersed". Quite opposite, they are quite congested. And the casualties from even a high-level bombardment can be devastating. Especially on a green units.

Interdiction was pretty effective against armour as the tanks many times were clise to a static targets. Plus most of interdictions were taking place when one of the sides enjoyed almost complete domination in air.

As to the naval bombardment. Counterfire on a bunker would have similar effect to a normal bombardment. Usually only light bunkers or boxholds were effected. The shelling was more aimed at the troopers anyhow.
Plans are worthless, but planning is essential.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Dug in vs walking in the open. Yeah exactly the same. [8|]

gliz2

Post by gliz2 »

Are you playing or just trolling Sir.
Where have I wrote that the dug in is "exactly the same" as walking?

If you have problems with understanding written text I'd suggest to abstain from commenting.

An example of havoc that interdictions could achieve is the Normandy campaign.
An example of devastating effect of bombing of enemy position are battle of Monte Cassino (not the monastry event) or Crimean campaign 1942.
Plans are worthless, but planning is essential.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: secadegas
I'd add that this bug reported by Cabido is 100% repeatable using any other scenario.
Yeah, I'd like to confirm this. Sure wish this would be fixed...

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”