Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Change Suggestion For The 1939 Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Change Suggestion For The 1939 Campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Change Suggestion For The 1939 Campaign - 1/2/2018 8:04:30 PM   
Robert24

Happy New Year All!

I am proposing a modification to the 1939 campaign’s at-start UK and German Naval forces, and reinforcement of naval forces based on the German Decision Event to invade Norway. The reason being the damage done to the Kriegsmarine as a result of the 1940 Operation Weserubung was extensive and strategically impacting, as a German attempt to invade the British Isles after the fall of France would have been more difficult.

The 1939 campaign starts with all German Naval units deployed, but by May 1940 the German Navy was
significantly impacted by operations in and around Norway. In the game when a German play elects to invade
Norway they acquire territory and units, but their Navy is not impacted. If, in the game, the naval units
that were damaged and destroyed in Operation Weserubung were to only appear on the map after the decision
to invade, then the remainder of 1940 could be experienced as was the historical case.

I think play-balance will be preserved as, of course, Royal Navy units would have to be held back at-start
and then deployed based on the German player’s decision to invade Norway or not.

The actual mechanics of this are quite easy, as I image it. Remove the naval units from the at-start 1939
deployments, and create a number of German and UK Unit scripts that are activated depending on the German
decision to invade Norway. If the German decision is no, all units are deployed at maximum and
technological strength, however if the decision is to invade; units are deployed (some may not be deployed)
at reduced strength representing the scars of the battles fought.

Even if you don’t agree, I hope we have a good conversation about the possibility.

Robert
Post #: 1
RE: Change Suggestion For The 1939 Campaign - 1/2/2018 8:17:13 PM   
crispy131313

In some way this was addressed in the later versions of SC2 (this being SC3 in my eyes). The Norwegian event use to fire automatically without cost and instead a variation of the current Decision Event was introduced, to reflect the high cost of the Norwegian operation.

I do understand that you would want to see a direct effect on naval power (not just a cost to overall MPP as I explained above) but I do not think removing the navy from the game (thus taking away the option to break into the Atlantic to raid instead) even if only for a short time is any more desirable.

(in reply to Robert24)
Post #: 2
RE: Change Suggestion For The 1939 Campaign - 1/3/2018 12:41:27 AM   
Robert24

Absolutely, the SC3 version is improved with the additional cost of MPPs. However, that costs might be
better realized if a strategic impact had to be considered, vice an immediately replenished resource like
MPPs. What I am proposing does not only cost MPPs, but cost time as well. In the current simulation the
German player forfeits 180 MPPs, but the navy stays intact. With this proposal it takes into consideration
the time to repair the ships.

SC3s current decision event only costs MPPs, which may not be considered strategic, as MPPs are again
available the next turn. This proposal makes the player select how the German navy should be used, which
is a strategic decision; and the impacts are more than just to the available MPPs levels, but to
operational capability in the near future.

What I am saying is that this proposal makes the German player think about how best to use the navy. In my
mind, I think the two most likely courses of action for the German to consider at the beginning of the war
is an invasion of Norway and its gain of MPPs, compared to a stronger fleet for an invasion of England.
I am sure there are more courses of action that exclude Norway and England, like a more robust surface
raiding capability, or just a force used to rule the Baltic.

I see the point made about leaving open the option to break into the Atlantic to raid in 1939. Possibly
this could be addressed by offering the decision to invade Norway in September 1939, but it only takes place
in April 1940; unless a 'Yes' is selected, then the German naval units are deployed at full strength at the
start of the game.

(in reply to crispy131313)
Post #: 3
RE: Change Suggestion For The 1939 Campaign - 1/3/2018 2:02:27 AM   
crispy131313

The easiest way to represent what you are suggesting would be to remove the Heavy Cruiser Bulcher from the list of naval units that can be built and instead link the fate of this ship to the Yes/No of the Norwegian campaign. If the Germans move forward with the scripted invasion Bulcher will be sunk by Norwegian batteries (via popup) alongside the other popups of the invasion. If the scripted Norwegian campaign is not chosen then Bulcher will be subsequently placed on the map and will assist in amending the German players naval strategy. This decision is now worth 430 MPP (the difference between spending 180 and receiving a free 250 MPP unit). As I write this I like it any may include it in my own mod. Thanks for putting my thinking cap on.

(in reply to Robert24)
Post #: 4
RE: Change Suggestion For The 1939 Campaign - 1/3/2018 3:54:46 AM   
sPzAbt653

I did something similar when I used to play with the navy's
Historically, Blücher was finished but wasn't ready for service until April 5, 1940. So I would make that part of the Norway Decision - take the decision and Blücher does not arrive [as it is sunk], don't take the decision and Blücher arrives, free of charge. The Germans also lost a bunch of destroyers for Norway, but I never built that into the decision.

Post #: 5
RE: Change Suggestion For The 1939 Campaign - 1/3/2018 4:25:29 AM   
Robert24

Yea, the Germans lost plenty. In the end the German surface forces counted only 3 cruisers and 4 destroyers
operational.

Wow, 480 MPPs! I had not done the math, thanks for pointing that out.

Good luck on your next mod - I may have another suggestion in a while. I am reading a great book (American
Warriors) about the American leadership during the war. There was a debate that took place while Germen
U-boats were wreaking havoc on the East coast in 1942; where the Army and Navy argued over the use of
bombers. The Navy wanted them assigned to maritime duties on the East Coast, and the Army wanted them for
strategic bombing in Europe.

Post #: 6
RE: Change Suggestion For The 1939 Campaign - 1/3/2018 6:56:25 AM   
KorutZelva

I've had advocated something of the sort here. In my suggested version rejecting it got a cruiser and a destroyer. I feel its ok not to be stingy in sweetening the pot on the other side of the decision as it is balanced on account of the royal navy being able interdict the entirety of the norway convoy at leisure. Takes a looooong time before Norways consider joining the axis.

(in reply to Robert24)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Change Suggestion For The 1939 Campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI