Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Creating New Research Tree and components

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> Creating New Research Tree and components Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Creating New Research Tree and components - 12/22/2017 3:42:25 PM   
rjord1

Over the coming weeks over the Christmas Break I would like to completely overhaul the Research and Components used in my mod. This would add more Star Wars like research to the mod.

Have already got the planned research tree down on paper but now need to start updating the mod. The problem is where to start.

Ideally I would want to clear everything out of the research.txt file and the components list. However because the Design templates already use components I would have to leave the components in that are used in the templates.

If anyone knows a tutorial they have seen on the net or has a suggestion that would be of great help.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 12/22/2017 3:43:15 PM >

Space...The Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4052020

Post #: 1
RE: Creating New Research Tree and components - 12/23/2017 11:44:16 PM   
Sabranan

If you're replacing all the research and components the design templates would no doubt need rebalancing anyway and since they reference component types as opposed to specific components you only technically need one of each type.

The only direct references you'd have to worry about are in the scripted research orders and the disallowed/special components variables, which are all in the race files.

But that's all, so it shouldn't be difficult to wipe them and start again as long as you start with a new research.txt and a new components.txt at the same time and just check that none of the above references exist.

So I would start your research tree with one each of the component types listed in any given design template, even if they're just placeholders at first. That should at least get you in a position where the game will load and not crash. Then just build it out from there.

Edit: If you blank out and save (as opposed to deleting) the research.txt and components.txt and load your mod into my tool, it'll show up any missing references near the end of the input log when it does data validation. Should make it easy to find them.

< Message edited by Sabranan -- 12/23/2017 11:55:11 PM >

(in reply to rjord1)
Post #: 2
RE: Creating New Research Tree and components - 12/25/2017 6:49:04 PM   
rjord1

Thanks Sabranan... will look into it when I am ready to start work on the research tree

Space...The Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4052020

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> Creating New Research Tree and components Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI