Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Idea] Draw deployment zones on a map

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Armored Brigade >> [Idea] Draw deployment zones on a map Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Idea] Draw deployment zones on a map - 12/21/2017 7:25:38 PM   
wargamerrr7449

Hello everyone! Recently I came up with a really nice idea, which will greatly improve the gameplay of the upcoming Armoured Brigade. And this feature is the ability to draw deployment (setup) zones on a map or in a separate image file, which will be loaded into the mission.

As it was stated by Veitikka: "A scenario can have a .bmp image file where the scenario designer can paint "no-go zones" to limit unit placement and movement." However, the deployment zones remain rectangular in their shape have fixed map position (north, south, east or west).

My proposal is to make deployment zones drawable either on a map itself (in the mission setup screen) or in a separate .bmp file. You may ask "why?" First of all, standard deployment zones create a lot of limitations for mission makers. For example, what if a player wants to create a small town besieged by enemy from from ALL the directions, or, maybe an ambush on the enemy convoy? In this case, a player may just draw deployment zones for A and B using shape he prefers more.

I hope that the game developers will like my proposal.
Post #: 1
RE: [Idea] Draw deployment zones on a map - 12/23/2017 11:24:56 PM   
Veitikka

First, let me say that in the future there may be more options for customizing the setup zones.

That being said, in AB the AI tries to organize and synchronize its units in as realistic, unpredictable and challenging manner as possible. It must happen with every map and force combination, so we need to introduce certain limitations. In some other wargames that have generated battles you have a bunch of individual units going solo, but that's not the case in this game.

However... you can use the current 'no-go zone' system to channel movement. Let's say you want to have the town in the center of map, and the besieger should approach from north and south. Ok, so you set his setup zone rectangle to be in west. You adjust the size, and then you paint the center part (between the north/south edges) to be a 'no-go zone'. That forces him to place his units to the opposite sides of his setup zone, and that's probably where he'll be approaching the town from.

Creative ideas can make scenarios more interesting. More testing is needed to see what people can come up with.

Know thyself!

(in reply to wargamerrr7449)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> Armored Brigade >> [Idea] Draw deployment zones on a map Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI