QEI

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

geofflambert

QEI

Post by geofflambert »

I'm wanting to make clear, not for the record, because nobody cares what gorns think, but Britain's new CV is named for Queen Elizabeth the First, not the current one. There seems to be a lot of confusion about that. For myself, I don't know why the moniker "the Great" is not applied to her. We have Catherine the Great. Why not Elizabeth? Anyways, I just noticed she's commanded by a Commodore. I like that. I know, how do you abbreviate Commodore to distinguish it from Commander? I just hate that Rear Admiral Lower Half crap. Anyone else?

geofflambert

RE: QEI

Post by geofflambert »

Just saying, achieving the rank of Captain in any respectable navy is a big effing deal. A step above that should have a respectable name. What is this REAR admiral LOWER HALF crap? Well, I suppose crap comes from the rear, or lower half of an admiral, I'm not sure, never having met one.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I'm wanting to make clear, not for the record, because nobody cares what gorns think, but Britain's new CV is named for Queen Elizabeth the First, not the current one. There seems to be a lot of confusion about that. For myself, I don't know why the moniker "the Great" is not applied to her. We have Catherine the Great. Why not Elizabeth?

Maybe this is just another example of typical British understatement at play. We know she was a great queen, but there's no need for one to brag like some other, more boorish types, are want to do, what?

If one goes back in time one finds William the Conqueror (although he was a ghastly Norman) and later there's Edward I - Hammer of the Scots, which is rather vulgar (the less said about that the better), but generally we are more likely to favour less ostentatious nicknames, names that, so to speak do what they state on the tin e.g Elizabeth I - the Virgin Queen (yeah right) or Queen Victoria - the Grandmother of Europe (and didn't she have some unruly grandchildren!).

So anyway, here's to Great British Queens down the ages - all of them incredibly good looking as one expects of all those born in this sceptred isle.

Attachments
JennaCole..Victoria.jpg
JennaCole..Victoria.jpg (29.37 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I'm wanting to make clear, not for the record, because nobody cares what gorns think, but Britain's new CV is named for Queen Elizabeth the First, not the current one. There seems to be a lot of confusion about that. For myself, I don't know why the moniker "the Great" is not applied to her. We have Catherine the Great. Why not Elizabeth?

Maybe this is just another example of typical British understatement at play. We know she was a great queen, but there's no need for one to brag like some other, more boorish types, are want to do, what?

If one goes back in time one finds William the Conqueror (although he was a ghastly Norman) and later there's Edward I - Hammer of the Scots, which is rather naughty (the less said about that the better), but generally we are more likely to favour less ostentatious nicknames, names that, so to speak do what they state on the tin e.g Elizabeth I - the Virgin Queen (yeah right) or Queen Victoria - the Grandmother of Europe (and didn't she have some unruly grandchildren!).

So anyway, here's to Great British Queens down the ages - all of them incredibly good looking as one expects of all those born in this sceptred isle.

That's "are wont to do." It's so sad that we Americans have to teach English to the English. So sad.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

If one goes back in time one finds William the Conqueror (although he was a ghastly Norman) and later there's Edward I - Hammer of the Scots, which is rather naughty (the less said about that the better), but generally we are more likely to favour less ostentatious nicknames, names that, so to speak do what they state on the tin e.g Elizabeth I - the Virgin Queen (yeah right) or Queen Victoria - the Grandmother of Europe (and didn't she have some unruly grandchildren!).

That's "are wont to do." It's so sad that we Americans have to teach English to the English. So sad.
warspite1

Well quite, because of course that type of language is used all the time in Englandsville nowadays, so I really should have known..... But well done for looking the correct spelling up on the interwebs thingy.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I've read Shakespeare, no need to look that up on the internet thingy. In any case, your reputation, sir, is in tatters. This coming from the greatest gorn ever making Gorn great again.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I've read Shakespeare, no need to look that up on the internet thingy. In any case, your reputation, sir, is in tatters. This coming from the greatest gorn ever making Gorn great again.
warspite1

Sure you have [:D]

Anyway I've no time to waste conversing with a vulgar Gorn, I'm being annihilated in the Western Desert, hanging on for dear life in France (as the French), struggling to beat France (as the Germans) and am being trashed as the Soviets in the Soviet Onion. I've got more battles to lose - so toodle pip.

warspite1 the flatulent (and rubbish wargamer) [:)].

wolfclan

Post by wolfclan »

According to their website, Commodore Kyd will wear the rank of Captain while performing his duties as Commanding Officer of QUEEN ELIZABETH.
The abbreviation for Commodore is CDRE, for Commander is CDR
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

It leaks.
Britain's new £3.1bn aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth, is leaking and needs repairs....letting in 200 litres of water each hour and the fix would cost millions of pounds (allegedly).

"I am Alfred"
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Just saying, achieving the rank of Captain in any respectable navy is a big effing deal. A step above that should have a respectable name. What is this REAR admiral LOWER HALF crap? Well, I suppose crap comes from the rear, or lower half of an admiral, I'm not sure, never having met one.
Well, RA Lower Half does evoke Commodore - one who tends to commodes ...[:'(]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Ian R

It leaks.
Britain's new £3.1bn aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth, is leaking and needs repairs....letting in 200 litres of water each hour and the fix would cost millions of pounds (allegedly).

Its OK. The RN can afford to buy a case of Depends every day to stop the Queen's leaks - but that's about all. Repairs will have to wait on the insurance paying off first, or a recall by the manufacturer.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

But well done for looking the correct spelling up on the interwebs thingy.
It's the "innertubes". Sheesh.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

warspite1

Sure you have [:D]

Anyway I've no time to waste conversing with a vulgar Gorn, I'm being annihilated in the Western Desert, hanging on for dear life in France (as the French), struggling to beat France (as the Germans) and am being trashed as the Soviets in the Soviet Onion. I've got more battles to lose - so toodle pip.

warspite1 the flatulent (and rubbish wargamer) [:)].
So you're having a dry spell in your first game, being sautéed in your second, having your Kraut pickled in your third and losing layers of your Onion!?
Seems like you are not drinking enough to be a good chef! [:)]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

It leaks.
warspite1

Sorry are we talking about the aircraft carrier or the Virgin Queen?

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

It leaks.
warspite1

Sorry are we talking about the aircraft carrier or the Virgin Queen?
Yes! [;)]
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

'Scuse my ignorance, but wasn't 'the lower half" to do with the admirals list? There were only so many slots available, the list denoted seniority.

"Sorry are we talking about the aircraft carrier or the Virgin Queen? "

Both, I believe I dear say [X(]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

'Scuse my ignorance, but wasn't 'the lower half" to do with the admirals list? There were only so many slots available, the list denoted seniority.
Whether it meant that at one time I don't know, but in the current discussion no, it means a 1-star admiral. 2-star admiral is 'upper half' (Rear Admiral, Upper-Half), 3-star is vice admiral, 4-star is admiral, 5-star is fleet admiral, and 6-star is Mandrake.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Until 1862 the highest rank in the USN was Commodore. After that period , a Commodore became a rank used only on war time. The advancement went straight from Captain to two star Rear Admiral. As I said Commodore was used only in war time and was generally given to a recalled Captain placed in charge of a convoy. Is was used informally as courtesy title to a Captain commanding certain units. Commander of a PATWING was referred to as a "Commodore" , even though he was a Captain. But in the 1980's there began a squabbling between the services. Every service except the Navy and USCG had a Brigadier general (one star). The other services were unwilling to allow the Navy to have more two stars to make up for one stars , and as a result of this kerfuffle a committee came up with the horse (designed by committee resembling a camel) that we now call "Rear Admiral lower half". Frankly I would not be a "rear half" of anything , no matter how much money they paid. Why they did not borrow from Lt. SR/JR grade and call him "Rear Admiral , junior grade " is beyond me. Frankly I think all "flags" are more than a little crazy. [:D]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Frankly I feel that the Queen Elizabeth class should be called the "Push-me-pull-you" class. It looks like it could go just as fast in either direction. [:D]
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

I'm wanting to make clear, not for the record, because nobody cares what gorns think, but Britain's new CV is named for Queen Elizabeth the First, not the current one. There seems to be a lot of confusion about that. For myself, I don't know why the moniker "the Great" is not applied to her. We have Catherine the Great. Why not Elizabeth? Anyways, I just noticed she's commanded by a Commodore. I like that. I know, how do you abbreviate Commodore to distinguish it from Commander? I just hate that Rear Admiral Lower Half crap. Anyone else?

The Brit's were never that big on calling anyone "great". (After Alfred). But they had "John soft sword , or Jock "lack land". Ethelred the unready (modern scholars are now saying "The ill advised". They've had "Virgin queens" and "Sailor Kings", which are nice things to say (But nobody ever called the current queen "the Mechanic queen" or the "Chauffeur queen" (which they could from her ATS days). [:D]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”