Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

JP builds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> JP builds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
JP builds - 12/15/2017 1:33:51 AM   
jjdenver

I've been thinking about what JP needs to build by end of 41, and also what it needs to arrive in 42.

Are the starting 3 TRS + 1 AMPH enough or do they need another AMPH and/or TRS?

Are the 2+2 cost 4 speed CV's (size 2 capacity - orange) worth building for 4 BP?

Are the CVL's 1+2 cost 4 speed worth building?

Anything else that JP needs to think about building pre-war with the west?
Post #: 1
RE: JP builds - 12/15/2017 2:37:34 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

I like building another TRS and AMPH. That gives 8 'invaders' when the O-chit is used for a super combined, plus 2 spare TRS for reinforcements in the next impulse.

2 TRS for the marine corps, 2 AMPH for an HQ and a strong Inf corps, and 4 SCS for divisions (2 marine, and 2 Inf).

Then the 4 divisions can be redeployed using more SCS and 2 other Corps can be delivered to combat areas using the available TRS units.

Of course you want to have more of everything, but it doesn't seem to me to be wasteful to spend the BPs for those 2 extra units.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 12/15/2017 2:38:10 AM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 2
RE: JP builds - 12/15/2017 5:28:27 AM   
Jagdtiger14

Concerning CV's: I would never start a fresh from scratch CV/CVL with Japan. I might consider the CVL's already in the construction pool, but when it comes down to it, I can never find the BP's to do so. Japan already has a ton of unsinkable and free carriers that have no CVP class limits.

MTN Corp would be nice to invade Rabaul with and just keep there. Build out all your NAV's. Repair the BB for SB. Build more cp's...and keep a steady flow of these for the rest of the war, including a steady flow of pilots and CVP's to replace losses (tactical factor cvp's at war's start, and the coveted 7 range cvp's of course).

< Message edited by Jagdtiger14 -- 12/15/2017 5:36:29 AM >

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 3
RE: JP builds - 12/15/2017 5:43:54 AM   
Jagdtiger14

Steve:
quote:

and 4 SCS for divisions (2 marine, and 2 Inf).

Don't forget, you can also use the ENG to invade with, and buy the MTN div. Against the CW you have idealy 8 locations to invade with div's...you can probably narrow that down to 5 in a pinch.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

Post #: 4
RE: JP builds - 12/15/2017 12:27:23 PM   
jjdenver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14
Concerning CV's: I would never start a fresh from scratch CV/CVL with Japan. I might consider the CVL's already in the construction pool, but when it comes down to it, I can never find the BP's to do so. Japan already has a ton of unsinkable and free carriers that have no CVP class limits.

MTN Corp would be nice to invade Rabaul with and just keep there. Build out all your NAV's. Repair the BB for SB. Build more cp's...and keep a steady flow of these for the rest of the war, including a steady flow of pilots and CVP's to replace losses (tactical factor cvp's at war's start, and the coveted 7 range cvp's of course).

Good stuff. When you say "ton of unsinkable..." do you mean LBA?

Do you agree about building 1 AMPH, 1 TRS w/ JP?

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 5
RE: JP builds - 12/15/2017 4:11:03 PM   
Jagdtiger14

quote:

When you say "ton of unsinkable..." do you mean LBA? Do you agree about building 1 AMPH, 1 TRS w/ JP?

Unsinkable: yes, islands with land based air.

I always build the 1940 AMPH/TRS! All AMPH/TRS prior to 1941 should be built out ASAP.

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 6
RE: JP builds - 12/15/2017 6:08:28 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

I like building another TRS and AMPH. That gives 8 'invaders' when the O-chit is used for a super combined, plus 2 spare TRS for reinforcements in the next impulse.

2 TRS for the marine corps, 2 AMPH for an HQ and a strong Inf corps, and 4 SCS for divisions (2 marine, and 2 Inf).

Then the 4 divisions can be redeployed using more SCS and 2 other Corps can be delivered to combat areas using the available TRS units.

Of course you want to have more of everything, but it doesn't seem to me to be wasteful to spend the BPs for those 2 extra units.

Together with emptying the FTR2 pools and build out as many NAV as possible, you should be doing well.

Peter

Post #: 7
RE: JP builds - 12/15/2017 9:45:09 PM   
brian brian

to start General War with Japan I build just one TRS and one AMPH, on schedule for Sep/Oct 41, with maybe one more of each 'on the way' partially finished, ultimately depending on what turn war starts.

For Japan, I empty their lnfantry class pools in 1940 to make maximum progress in China and keep an option open to get some easy goodies from the Russians, too. Japan, like all major powers in the game except Russia really, can never have too many troops. Russia can build too many troops and then hit the "Baltic States Funnel" and be left with a permanent second line of lower factor units that never see land combat again.

Once war starts, the Japanese aircraft designers seem to go into overdrive in presenting new models to the Emperor, and many of them are not improvements on the triumph of the Mitsubishi A6M. But if you want to keep those lovely A6Ms on patrol far out over the increasingly Yankee infested oceans, you have to indulge all the heads of the Zaibatsu and politely purchase their aircraft whether you want them or not, so they can save face when you come back later and say, uhh, guys, we need you to switch your factories to all A6M, all the time.

And then you are left with a bunch of really so-so air combat fighters with pitifully small fuel tanks for war in an ocean as big as the Pacific. fortunately, the Wizard of Australia who is really in charge of your fate has a solution to help you - it seems patriotic partisans in Korea and Manchuria are greatly awed by the possibility of being strafed by these FTR2 that can't really stand up to the horde of Hellcats on the horizon. So you can deploy Japan's slightly expensive garrison option - Pilots, and free up more troops for the really really long front line in China, where they are really needed. And then you can keep those A6Ms in heavy production, which you will need, because those Hellcats are fierce. Be especially careful if your pilots hear the call sign "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep" on intercepted Allied frequencies. Your pilots hearing that don't stand a chance, that I can tell you.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 8
RE: JP builds - 12/16/2017 10:56:47 AM   
jjdenver

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian
to start General War with Japan I build just one TRS and one AMPH, on schedule for Sep/Oct 41, with maybe one more of each 'on the way' partially finished, ultimately depending on what turn war starts.

For Japan, I empty their lnfantry class pools in 1940 to make maximum progress in China and keep an option open to get some easy goodies from the Russians, too. Japan, like all major powers in the game except Russia really, can never have too many troops. Russia can build too many troops and then hit the "Baltic States Funnel" and be left with a permanent second line of lower factor units that never see land combat again.

Thanks. This is what I concluded after reading the comments here so it's nice to hear it seconded. 1 AMPH + 1 TRS seems like a nice way to go. Avoid overspending and still have enough lift flexibility.

re: JP land builds. That's exactly my feeling on JP as well. I like max MIL/INF SO 39 then I think a Synth+MIL in ND 39 then advance build Yamashita and an ART JF 40 then continuing INF and an LND3 for strat bombing in MA 40. And lay down AMPH MJ 40 and TRS JA 40.

Good stuff on this thread, thanks for all the replies.

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 12/16/2017 11:01:26 AM >

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 9
RE: JP builds - 12/18/2017 1:47:49 PM   
Dabrion

I also depends on options and what you think your US counter part will throw at you. If you play double stacked CVs with vs a green US player.. there is a good chance to get away with closing the Pacific.

I think +1 phib is too few, if you want to counter island-hop when that card is played.

Air power is rather useless during the Monsun time.. I would build 2-4 Super BBs too. 1-2 for Kido Butai and another 1-2 as a nucleus for your surface fleet. Not sure if you have the replacement counters in MWiF.. but laying down the hulls early is important.

< Message edited by Dabrion -- 12/18/2017 1:52:27 PM >

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
- Richard P. Feynman, 'WiF, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment'.

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> JP builds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI