New game opinions wanted.

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

stormbringer3

New game opinions wanted.

Post by stormbringer3 »

I only play vs. the AI. Which games released in the last 1-2 years have the best AI? I like all types from tactical to strategic.
Thanks for your help.
MrsWargamer

RE: New game opinions wanted.

Post by MrsWargamer »

Ok, I will answer that with, what game(s) have I played solo, where it wasn't just another game of beat up the poor AI.

Battle Academy. 1 or 2. Oodles of DLC too to enjoy.
Hey, I did beta on some of them, I found that the first few play-throughs of any of it, were never just "beat up the AI".

Now if you're going to respond with 'too cartoony', yer on yer own.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

I only play vs. the AI. Which games released in the last 1-2 years have the best AI? I like all types from tactical to strategic.
Thanks for your help.
warspite1

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa will give you a challenge - especially if you are wargamingly challenged like me.....[:D]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Field of Glory II.
durangokid

Post by durangokid »

warspite1

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa will give you a challenge - especially if you are wargamingly challenged like me.....

[:(] + 1
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

+ 1 for DC: Barbarossa. [&o]

Fields of Glory AI is also impressive.

I have only played some short scenarios but I am also well impressed by the AI in TOAW.

Regards
Former AJE team member
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

If you like sort of a chess type game with military minatures then Conquest Medieval Realms from here is very good and cheap too.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Pike and Shot Campaigns
Sengoku Jidai
Tigers on the Hunt
English Civil War

I too only play against the AI. By not being very good I find all AI can be a challenge.
wodin

Post by wodin »

DCB, FoG and going back some but not aged in the slightest one of the Command Ops games. I hear TOAW4 has had a lot if ai work done as well.

Like alto above I play AI only and I'm also useless so being useless really helps in this situation. Saying that the games above are praised regarding AI
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

Thanks for the opinions. I concur about DC Barbarossa as I already own it. I also have the origional Pike and Shot. Will FoG2 be a meaningful step up? How are its' Campaigns? Right now I'm considering FoG2 and Strategic Command though I have the older Battlfront version.
Any other thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Fields Of Glory II, (a very recent release)...

It also comes with an editor which for me, is a MUST.

Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

old but not forgotten Advanced Tactics Gold, great replay-ability great random game generator and scalable AI
Favoritism is alive and well here.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

Thanks for the opinions. I concur about DC Barbarossa as I already own it. I also have the origional Pike and Shot. Will FoG2 be a meaningful step up? How are its' Campaigns? Right now I'm considering FoG2 and Strategic Command though I have the older Battlfront version.
Any other thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind FOG2 does not have a campaign map like Pike n Shot. It just has linear skirmishes through a campaign size you pick from 3 to 15 battles.

They are going to make the battles and the armies you face more random but still no campaign map just different armies in the campaign you select.

So basically it will be your army pick vs the enemy army you pick from 3 to 15 skirmishes you pick although the battles can be of random nature and the maps. You might get ambushed, you might have your rear guard attacked you might have your baggage train attacked or visa versa. It's kinda pot luck on what skirmish scenario you have to face but there's not many so you'll end up playing the same one a lot. Same with maps.

Army size will vary on your victories as you have to leave garrisons and they might change the way the campaign works or already have that you can continue it even if you lose.
athineos

Post by athineos »

It is an older game, but has one of the best AI. WARLORDS III DARKLORDS RISING. Roger Keating has produced some of the best pure AIs of an strategy game (if you like Fantasy strategy games)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: athineos

It is an older game, but has one of the best AI. WARLORDS III DARKLORDS RISING. Roger Keating has produced some of the best pure AIs of an strategy game (if you like Fantasy strategy games)

Warlord IV with the 4th or 5th patch is even better but, III was very good.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Perhaps I didn't patch it enough, but I did not like Warlords IV as much as I did Warlords III: Darklords Rising.

Or maybe it's just a matter of personal preference.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
athineos

Post by athineos »

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Perhaps I didn't patch it enough, but I did not like Warlords IV as much as I did Warlords III: Darklords Rising.

Or maybe it's just a matter of personal preference.

You got that right. I did tried to like Warlords IV, but after all these patches, It still did not have the feel of Warlords III (even II ). I still play WARLORDS III DARKLORDS RISING regularly on my WIN XP laptop and I love the random map creation, making alliances and creating your own custom faction!

Return to “General Discussion”