Guards Rifle

Germany At War: Operation Barbarossa 1941 is an elegant turn-based design, inspired by classics such as Panzer General, but with more of a historical focus. You command the German forces through a branching historical campaign covering the entire 1941 campaign as well as part of the 1942 campaign. Dozens of scenarios stretch from the Soviet border all the way to Archangel and towards Astrakhan, the original military goals of Operation Barbarossa. Step into a wargame where your performance will rewrite history, through an addictive combination of compelling gameplay, realistic events and challenging battles.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

terminator

Guards Rifle

Post by terminator »

We have two types of Guards Rifle.
-The last version used at present in scenario (Regular with the upgrade).
-The first version (Guards'41 and Guards'42) which is not any more used at present in scenario with a particular 3D model.

Screenshot with Nato symbol :
Attachments
Shock-0001.jpg
Shock-0001.jpg (94.95 KiB) Viewed 229 times
terminator

RE: Guards Rifle

Post by terminator »

Same screenshot with models 3D :
Attachments
Shock0002.jpg
Shock0002.jpg (94.5 KiB) Viewed 229 times
terminator

Post by terminator »

The old version is obsolete.
I asked myself the following question : how to reuse the old 3D model of the guards ?
I then remembered the game "Company of heroes 2" which possesses these two types of infantry : Guards rifles infantry and Shock troops.

Here is a picture of shock troops :
I find that the troops on the image look like the old 3D model of Guards.

"Shock troops are one of the finest Soviet Infantry troops that you can get. They have good armor, PPSH Submachine guns that have a high rate of fire and thus lethal damage output, grenades for grouped germans, and smoke grenades to cover their retreat.
Such qualities are perfect against combatting a commander armed with Elite Troops as they play an efficient role in eliminating units and fortifications along the way."

These shock troops could be usefull in Berlin in the new Soviet Campaign.
Attachments
steamworks.._preview.jpg
steamworks.._preview.jpg (70.92 KiB) Viewed 229 times
terminator

Post by terminator »

Soviet soldier with CH-42 armor - Karelian Front 1944, Shock troop body armor :

Steel bib, or Stalnoi Nagrudnik (Russian: Стальной нагрудник) is a type of body armor similar to a cuirass developed by the Red Army in World War II. The native Cyrillic abbreviation for the vest was "СН", the Cyrillic letters Es and En. It consisted of two pressed steel plates that protected the front torso and groin. The plates were 2 mm (.08") and weighed 3.5 kg (7.7 lbs). This armor was supplied to SHISBr (assault engineers).
SN-42, made of 2 mm steel 36SGN, the tolerances 1.8 - 2.2 mm, weight of Chest 3.3 - 3.5 kg. It protected an area measuring 0.2 square meters.

We already have Soviet Combat engineers.

Shock troops = assault engineers = Combat engineers ?
Attachments
ed237ce415..redarmy.jpg
ed237ce415..redarmy.jpg (47.73 KiB) Viewed 229 times
terminator

Post by terminator »

It is possible for the Combat enginners to have the upgrade "Guards Status" :
Attachments
CombatEngi..rsGuards.jpg
CombatEngi..rsGuards.jpg (20.32 KiB) Viewed 229 times
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi terminator,

SHISBr were specialized assault engineer units formed from engineer brigades and used for taking heavily fortified cities/towns or breaking fortified positions on the front line. They were sometimes called ''armor infantry''.

Any Soviet unit could become ''Guard'' if they earned the name. It should be an upgrade for Soviets. There is difference between Soviet ''Guard'' and German ''Elite'' - any Soviet unit could become Guard but German Army units never became Elite as far as I know, the Army and Elite were competing branches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_g ... _of_Russia

These are modern Russian units but look at their names, they have earned those names in WW2.

Anyway I am so happy that my German campaign ends in 1941. I would not want to defend a position attacked by these guys...

by some accounts, captured Soviet steel breastplates came to supply the German army, also in Germany in limited quantities (only for parts of the SS, Mostly assault squads) produced similar bibs.

Estimates of the plates' performance from front-line soldiers were mixed, receiving both positive and negative feedback. The vest worked well in street fighting and other type of close quarter combat. However, in the field where assault teams often had to crawl the breastplates were just an unnecessary burden.

The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941”